Education System here

Academic support for Primary 3

Education System here

Postby chixchix » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:09 am

My child is in P3, when in P1 & P2 , he was very smiley,happy, and did well. The moment he came to P3, his grades have started falling, many mistakes for Maths which are careless, and for Science, he cant do the worksheets given by WGPS, and when we give him the answer, he will sometimes get them wrong. I have spoken to his tuition teacher at Stalford and i was told that teachers dont want answers which are of common sense but they are looking for a scientific way of answering.

My son has tuition for EMS and 2nd language except Wednesday and Sunday. I feel upset cos I can see him stressed out,as he is also still adjusting to the morning session.

In what way ,can I as a parent assist him ? he has all the assestment books but I need to scream my head off at him to read.

chixchix
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: Education System here

Postby Zack7 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:48 pm

sounds like it is too much for him.

forcing too much down the throat of kids will do them no good.

may i suggest you let him focus on school and not touch tuition for the time being.

Zack7
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby LOLMum » Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:29 pm

dont jam all the assessment books down his throat too!

on top of the school homwork, tuition homework, still has assessment books.........too much already.

also, maybe the tuition centre is not suitable for him.

LOLMum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby verykiasu2010 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:57 pm

assessment books will only do more damage than good because it may reinforce mistakes, unless it is guided by knowledgeable teachers / tutors

it is correct that answers in science has to be scientific, cannot be lay man type of answers, and kids must be trained / conditioned from young to give scientific answers

if parents are not able to coach in the area of scientific answers, it is best left to the expert to guide. when in doubt, check with school teachers.

school teachers would demand scientific answers and so parents should not confuse the kids, this is what we were told when the kids started science subject
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby smartmummy » Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:36 pm

For Sci we need to learn how to answer in scientific way.u can find out with answers provided in sci assessment books or past papers.Do u willing to learn? I learnt the answering techniques from my son's wrong answers and of course with the help of KSP.
http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/forum ... =8&t=27968
http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/forum ... 69&t=25265

Pls refer for answering techniques Niedino's blog in KSP
http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/conte ... -questions

My son doesn't like to study.If I sit with him he can study,I have to be firm with what I want from him.I tried to let him study by himself.It didn't work.He need my accompany.I think he used to it from young.

smartmummy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby atutor2001 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:36 pm

verykiasu2010 wrote:assessment books will only do more damage than good because it may reinforce mistakes,

Fully agreed. So many answers/questions in assessment books are wrong. Some schools also provide wrong answers.

.... when in doubt, check with school teachers.

Very few schools have teachers that really understand and know the reason for structuring the answers in a certain way. I dare say at least 50% of school teachers themselves no no. All just following answer keys blindly.

atutor2001
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby atutor2001 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:40 pm

smartmummy wrote:For Sci we need to learn how to answer in scientific way.u can find out with answers provided in sci assessment books or past papers.Do u willing to learn? I learnt the answering techniques from my son's wrong answers and of course with the help of KSP.
http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/forum ... =8&t=27968
http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/forum ... 69&t=25265

Pls refer for answering techniques Niedino's blog in KSP
http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/conte ... -questions

My son doesn't like to study.If I sit with him he can study,I have to be firm with what I want from him.I tried to let him study by himself.It didn't work.He need my accompany.I think he used to it from young.

Have to disagree with you. Haven't come across any proper guide on science answering technique so far.

atutor2001
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Funz » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:16 am

Lay off the assessment books. He is already having tuition for all subjects which means he is already doing more work then assigned by the school. I would actually say lay off tuition of he is still giving average of above average results but that depends on your expectations of him I guess.

It is not uncommon for kids moving from P1&2 to P3 to experience some drop in their grades. If his foundation at P1 & 2 is sound, what can be done is to get him to understand that questions and sums are no longer that straight forward and simple. DD too was in P2 mode when doing her first tests, she glanced at the questions and made assumptions without reading the questions properly, which lead to a lower then average score.

I think most importantly, what your son needs now is encouragement, not more work.

Funz
Councillor
Councillor

Return to Primary 3