How to teach angles?

Academic support for Primary 3

How to teach angles?

Postby HAPPYH » Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:46 am

Hello.....

How to teach angles to P3? In the textbook, they use ruler or paper to find right angle. Are they allowed to use protector? Or don't need???? Kindly share your experiences. Thank you in advance.

HAPPYH
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: How to teach angles?

Postby qms » Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:48 am

At P3 level, the students are only asked for angles greater or less than 90 degrees. So, using paper is sufficient.

qms
ClassMonitor
ClassMonitor

Postby jedamum » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:24 pm

Use protracter better. In p3 exam for my boy, most in class used paper and came up with slightly less than right angle. Teacher said only few kids got it correct. One of those who got it correct uses a protracter. So long the deviation is within the protracter black line, the teacher take it as a right angle. Poorly set question.
It cost most kids two marks for that question and that year, the few unexpected students score full marks as the rest were thrown off by this question. So at least for exams, use protracter.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby HAPPYH » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:31 pm

jedamum wrote:Use protracter better. In p3 exam for my boy, most in class used paper and came up with slightly less than right angle. Teacher said only few kids got it correct. One of those who got it correct uses a protracter. So long the deviation is within the protracter black line, the teacher take it as a right angle. Poorly set question.
It cost most kids two marks for that question and that year, the few unexpected students score full marks as the rest were thrown off by this question. So at least for exams, use protracter.

Thank you for sharing. I need to start on this part this weekend.

HAPPYH
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby HAPPYH » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:33 pm

qms wrote:At P3 level, the students are only asked for angles greater or less than 90 degrees. So, using paper is sufficient.

If the angle is too close, the students should be accurate in their reading. If it is the paper, do you give them a thick paper or normal A4 paper? thank you in advance.

HAPPYH
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby HAPPYH » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:34 pm

Angles will be taught in my DD's school next week.

HAPPYH
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Suz855 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:41 pm

Use a plastic ruler, check against its corner, no need protractor for p3 :)

Suz855
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Guest » Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:47 pm

Interesting, my child just confirmed that she did not learn angles in P3.... only triangles, her school is slow or she is blur? :scratchhead: When I ask her how she knows if a diagram drawn to scale is a right-angle(now P4), she says she uses the right-angle set square to confirm.

It seems that school varies in the topics they cover.

Postby qms » Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:15 pm

HAPPYH wrote:If the angle is too close, the students should be accurate in their reading. If it is the paper, do you give them a thick paper or normal A4 paper? thank you in advance.

My boy's teacher taught them to use normal A4 paper.

The teacher also told the students that protractor was allowed in exams. So, if you want to be safe, get a protractor.

For my boy, it was easier for him to grasp the concept using paper than protractor initially. Start with paper and proceed to protractor thereafter.

qms
ClassMonitor
ClassMonitor

Postby HAPPYH » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:51 pm

qms wrote:
HAPPYH wrote:If the angle is too close, the students should be accurate in their reading. If it is the paper, do you give them a thick paper or normal A4 paper? thank you in advance.

My boy's teacher taught them to use normal A4 paper.

The teacher also told the students that protractor was allowed in exams. So, if you want to be safe, get a protractor.

For my boy, it was easier for him to grasp the concept using paper than protractor initially. Start with paper and proceed to protractor thereafter.

Thank you so much. All ready to try out tomorrow.

HAPPYH
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Primary 3