How effective has tuition been for you?

Academic support for Primary 3

How effective has tuition been for you?

Postby kaitlynangelica » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:10 pm

Sorry everyone.... I don't know where else to post this.
But due to my daughter's poor results in SA1, I signed her up for tuition for every subject.
She did improve but I won't say the improvement was worth the money spent.
Can I just know whether or not tuition has been effective for parents who send their kids to classes? After all, we are tuition-obsessed nation.

kaitlynangelica
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: How effective has tuition been for you?

Postby verykiasumummy » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:15 pm

u didnt mention whether it is group tuition or one-on-one tuition??

verykiasumummy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:17 pm

And the tutors analyse her difficulties and work on the specifically? Or just make her practise more questions?

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby verykiasumummy » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:21 pm

depending on individual kid, the improvement may not be tremendous or as ideally as u want them to be... sometimes its their foundation that is not gd, and hence there is the difference in improvement.

verykiasumummy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby kaitlynangelica » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:05 pm

whether group or individual or to the enrichment centre, its still tuition right?

Well the maths tutor has been trying to help her with the more challenging problem sums.

What I can say is she seems to tackle the paper with more ease now.

But it doesn't seem to help with exam smartness. I think my gal tends to underperform in the exam hall.

kaitlynangelica
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby verykiasumummy » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:09 pm

if there is no problem in her foundation, then i would say ur tutor has been helping her much..

she is probably too stressed or nervous? u got to talk to her about it to help her... nothing with the tutor or tuition if u think she only underperform in the exam hall..

verykiasumummy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:48 pm

Why a child performs poorly has many possible causes, and whether a particular solution (eg. tuition) works depends on whether it deals with the cause. If she does poorly in exams but not in daily work, it could be that she is overly stressed and makes more mistakes, or that she is slow, or careless, or forgets things. Finding the cause will help you find a solution.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby dazzlego » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:28 pm

I have this experience teaching a very smart girl. She can absorb all the concepts very fast but she is super careless. The most careless student that I have ever taught. I tried to limit her carelessness but it still did not work. Luckily her mom understand the problem and even told me that it's okay if she still can't get rid of her carelessness. And I am still waiting for her very first 90+ exam result :boogie:

dazzlego
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby wilburlim » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:35 pm

Now that you have finally realized that the improvement in grades was not worth the money spent, then having a legion of tuition lessons will definitely not going to help. Throughout my years of Primary and Secondary schooling (I have just finished Secondary education), I had hardly ever been studying in a tuition centre for more than a month. When I found out that my tutors' competencies are mostly bogus, I immediately forgo the whole idea of having tuition, even if my teachers urge me to do so. Teachers are hypocrites; they are meant to teach and yet they recommend their students to go for tuition classes. In this world of ironies, I will never ever trust the testimonials given to a tutor.

wilburlim
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby jedamum » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:09 pm

kaitlynangelica wrote:Sorry everyone.... I don't know where else to post this.
But due to my daughter's poor results in SA1, I signed her up for tuition for every subject.
She did improve but I won't say the improvement was worth the money spent.
Can I just know whether or not tuition has been effective for parents who send their kids to classes? After all, we are tuition-obsessed nation.

hihi,
come 5 mths after your post, do you think it is money well spent?
beside net marks improvement, you have to take into consideration difficulty level have raised and that even it may be a struggle to maintain the same results, let alone see improvement in results.

our main expenditure is on CL. we gauge deviation from class mean between previous and current test results to check if tuition yields the required benefit we are looking for. it took us more than just one test to see the improved results (not necessary improved from previous test, but improved from deviation to class mean eg if below class mean, at least the gap narrowed) for CL and by end of last year, we can see steady improved results. but tuition alone is not enough without mummy constant nagging and pushing at home to read story CL books!! :spank:

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Next

Return to Primary 3