P3 Science - Is tuition required?

Academic support for Primary 3

P3 Science - Is tuition required?

Postby wkrf » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:29 pm

Hi,

My DS is going to P3 next year. Understand that there is a science subject for P3. Is the subject difficult? Need tuition? Or just assessment books and practise at home will do?

If tuition is required, any recommendations? I stay in Pasir Ris. You can also PM me.

Thanks.

wkrf
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: P3 Science - Is tuition required?

Postby jedamum » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:41 pm

wkrf wrote:Hi,

My DS is going to P3 next year. Understand that there is a science subject for P3. Is the subject difficult? Need tuition? Or just assessment books and practise at home will do?

If tuition is required, any recommendations? I stay in Pasir Ris. You can also PM me.

Thanks.

my boy is P4 and took his science exam last tuesday.
i am a sahp and i coach him on science.
if u can coach him on science at lower level, assessment books and past year papers are very useful. i started coaching him EL and CL and Sc early P3. by end of P4, i am only left with SC as besides difficulty in coaching languages, i cannot cope with coaching 3 subjects as i find sc coaching to be rather intensive (i had to do prep work).
if u have the money, surely going for science group tuition is more interesting than staring at mummy's face trying to drill science keywords into the kid :sweat:. science group tuition also teaches out of textbooks info, but you must note if they too tackle answering techniques.
P3,P4 mostly test only concepts. come P5, i heard is a whole new ball game on application techniques.... :faint:

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Monster Mummy » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:41 pm

Yes, my boy is in P3 this year. Initially wanted to put him on tuition but due to time conflict with other classes, therefore, I did not put him for tuition.
Therefore, I understand from his school teacher, most of the children lost marks in Science for Section B are due to not able to provide the key word. So I made him to work on assessment and answer on his own before looking at the answer to see how it should be answer in exam time. I would say that it is in the way quite helpful for him as he has already got the concept there. I see slight improvement for this SA2 where it did improve marks on his open ended question except some question lost marks due to his carelessness.

Monster Mummy
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby jedamum » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:46 pm

Monster Mummy wrote:Yes, my boy is in P3 this year. Initially wanted to put him on tuition but due to time conflict with other classes, therefore, I did not put him for tuition.
Therefore, I understand from his school teacher, most of the children lost marks in Science for Section B are due to not able to provide the key word. So I made him to work on assessment and answer on his own before looking at the answer to see how it should be answer in exam time. I would say that it is in the way quite helpful for him as he has already got the concept there. I see slight improvement for this SA2 where it did improve marks on his open ended question except some question lost marks due to his carelessness.

:rahrah: :rahrah:
i did the same as you..getting him to answer, then we discuss the model answer and his answers. exam papers answers cannot make it but the questions are good. because teacher also does answering techniques in class, he will also amend my answers/assessment answers at times- i trust that he knows what he is doing la. :sweat:
we will collate inquiries and get him to approach his science teacher with his suggested answers.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby wkrf » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:24 pm

jedamum wrote:
wkrf wrote:Hi,

Thanks.

my boy is P4 and took his science exam last tuesday.
i am a sahp and i coach him on science.
if u can coach him on science at lower level, assessment books and past year papers are very useful. i started coaching him EL and CL and Sc early P3. by end of P4, i am only left with SC as besides difficulty in coaching languages, i cannot cope with coaching 3 subjects as i find sc coaching to be rather intensive (i had to do prep work).
if u have the money, surely going for science group tuition is more interesting than staring at mummy's face trying to drill science keywords into the kid :sweat:. science group tuition also teaches out of textbooks info, but you must note if they too tackle answering techniques.
P3,P4 mostly test only concepts. come P5, i heard is a whole new ball game on application techniques.... :faint:

Thanks for sharing. Think I will try to coach him for a start...and see how things goes. Appreciate the tip on answering techniques.

wkrf
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby wkrf » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:28 pm

Monster Mummy wrote:Yes, my boy is in P3 this year. Initially wanted to put him on tuition but due to time conflict with other classes, therefore, I did not put him for tuition.

Thanks for the keywords tip. I have tried Maths past year papers. A few of the answers are wrong. I would expect the same for Sc papers.

wkrf
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Monster Mummy » Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:17 am

At the stage of preparation of science, the main area we can only assist and keep on reinforce and enforce them on the importance of key words and explain in the details why the answer stated this way.

As for math, my child did have tuition and I would normally monitor where the error made and try to tackle the weak area where he can't grasp the concept right. Least but not all, the most headache part is careless mistake that we cannot control.

Monster Mummy
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby pinkybear » Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:13 am

For my experience, my dd does not have Science tuition, this SA2 she got 84 marks. While her classmate goes for tuition, got 86. Previous test dd also scored above average mark, which her school teacher was a bit surprise. I gave dd past test papers to practice. Her booklet A she only has 1-3 mistakes. But booklet B she has many mistakes. Booklet B is more on the answering techniques, which I think the tuition center will coach them to how to answer the "Science language".

During P2, my dd has no Maths tuition. I coach dd and she got full marks. But this year I am too busy with my work. Sent her for tuition, she only got 80+ marks. I am disappointed, not spending enough time with dd. I thought tuition is better off, but it doesn't seem to work on my dd.

I am thinking should I send dd for Maths and Science tuition in P4. :scratchhead:

pinkybear
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby verykiasumummy » Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:38 pm

pinkybear wrote:For my experience, my dd does not have Science tuition, this SA2 she got 84 marks. While her classmate goes for tuition, got 86. Previous test dd also scored above average mark, which her school teacher was a bit surprise. I gave dd past test papers to practice. Her booklet A she only has 1-3 mistakes. But booklet B she has many mistakes. Booklet B is more on the answering techniques, which I think the tuition center will coach them to how to answer the "Science language".

During P2, my dd has no Maths tuition. I coach dd and she got full marks. But this year I am too busy with my work. Sent her for tuition, she only got 80+ marks. I am disappointed, not spending enough time with dd. I thought tuition is better off, but it doesn't seem to work on my dd.

I am thinking should I send dd for Maths and Science tuition in P4. :scratchhead:

the diffculty level gets higher each yr, u cannot conclude that tuition is not good enough for her than self coaching..

i wun expect my dd to score all correct for p6 even when i self coach + group tuition + one to one tuition... it is just doing the best that they can... dd used to score full marks for p1 too when i self coach... but when she didnt get full marks at p3, i didnt put the blame on the tutor...

verykiasumummy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby verykiasumummy » Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:41 pm

Monster Mummy wrote:At the stage of preparation of science, the main area we can only assist and keep on reinforce and enforce them on the importance of key words and explain in the details why the answer stated this way.

As for math, my child did have tuition and I would normally monitor where the error made and try to tackle the weak area where he can't grasp the concept right. Least but not all, the most headache part is careless mistake that we cannot control.

:goodpost: :goodpost:

very well said... the most impt is for someone to go thru and make sure they understand them, not just to make them memorise keywords...

verykiasumummy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Primary 3