Math - How to teach problem sums

Academic support for Primary 3

Math - How to teach problem sums

Postby kitty2 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:21 am

My son's quite weak in section B and C,problem sums.Anyone has any idea to improve his skill?I've let him practice quite alot but at times he doesn't seem to understand the questions.Any good tuition centre can tackle this problem?

Please help,thanks

kitty2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jedamum » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:57 am

how old is your kid?
your profile is not updated.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby kitty2 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:20 pm

jedamum wrote:how old is your kid?
your profile is not updated.

He's in P3,thanks for sharing

kitty2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: How to teach problem sums

Postby lizawa » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:07 pm

kitty2 wrote:My son's quite weak in section B and C,problem sums.Anyone has any idea to improve his skill?I've let him practice quite alot but at times he doesn't seem to understand the questions.Any good tuition centre can tackle this problem?

Please help,thanks

Hi kitty2,

Read the question with him, sentence by sentence. Ask him what he understand from each sentence. You can tell from his explanation, if he has problem understanding the question, or with the concept.

Problem understanding the question, could be due to weak in language. Problem with the concept, shows that foundation is weak.

You have to know what exactly he doesn't understand, in order to help.

Since he is only in P3, it could also be, just playful and can't concentrate, so just want to quickly finish the work, without giving much thoughts to the questions.

lizawa
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby westmom » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:59 pm

kitty2 wrote:My son's quite weak in section B and C,problem sums.Anyone has any idea to improve his skill?I've let him practice quite alot but at times he doesn't seem to understand the questions.Any good tuition centre can tackle this problem?

Please help,thanks

First of all, ensure that you are equipped to teach him the right approach and methods for problem sums. There are some books out there that teaches the methods but you have to invest your time to learn it first so that whatever that you impart is in line with what is being taught in school (otherwise he gets confused). When my dd was in P3, I got a Uni student (cheaper mah) to come to my home every alternate week just to focus on tackling problem sums . P3 prob sums was not too tricky yet but I do not have the time and also was afraid of confusing her by teaching the wrong way. Once her "foundation" was set by the Uni student (who had teaching experience for that level), I progressed to getting a school teacher home tutor in P4. If you feel outsourcing works better, then do check around for good centres (preferable with NIE trained teachers) in your area or a home tutor. An experienced teacher usually can catch the issue and can help to break up the question to enlighten the child.

westmom
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby kaydenbrown » Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:56 pm

Showing actual models using objects such as apples or fruits. I found it works for some kids that age.

kaydenbrown
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby peterch » Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:35 pm

kaydenbrown wrote:Showing actual models using objects such as apples or fruits. I found it works for some kids that age.

My daugther is in P3 too. I try to make her loves math by accompany her to do some exercise dan play math game @ www.mathplayground.com

Regards

peterch
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby atutor2001 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:46 pm

Please help,thanks

There are 2 approaches to problem sums :
1) Logical reasoning
2) Mathematical methods

Model drawings, which our schools are using, is actually using the "logical reasoning" approach. This method derives answers that require very few steps (shortcuts) provided that one can see the logic. However, drawing model is tedious. Many kids (especially boys) give up problem sums because of "model". The irony is that the smart ones can visualise everything mentally and would not need a model. The dull one will not be able to produce the "model". My kids draw the models because the teachers demanded so. They hated models.

"Mathematical methods" involve memerising rules and applying them to solve problem sum. It is abstract and does not relate to the real thing. However, it is "dead" and does not need much thinking. All one has to do is to be systematic.

Be careful when teaching problem sum. It can really kill a kid's interest in math if he/she just can't or dislike models.

atutor2001
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

3G ABACUS

Postby Striker09 » Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:32 am

Because of my 6 yrs old son, I have personally spending times exploring 3G Abacus & Traditional Abacus.

After completing the 3G ABACUS instructor course, I have applied the methods to teach my son. It is very simple & easy to understand. As such, he has shown more interest in mathematics than before.

I am planning to let him take part in the INTERNATIONAL Grading Exam this coming DEC 09. If possible, I will let him take part in year 2009 competition.

Currently, I am teaching kids & parents the 3G Abacus.
If you are interested in 3G ABACUS, please email me.

Striker09
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby moonee » Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:15 am

Hi whats 3 G abacus.? mry grl in p3 does she require abacus as she is weak in problem sums?

moonee
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Next

Return to Primary 3