Preperation for centralized exam for primary 3

Academic support for Primary 3

Preperation for centralized exam for primary 3

Postby Lost soul » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:38 pm

Hi ,
My child is in grade 3 in an international school. I want to switch her to a local school for which she will have to sit for the centralized exam.

Could somebody please suggest a good MOE home tutor who can help her in the preperation. Also I am anxious about how she will adjust to the local curriculum ............. Any experiences ???? Please help !!!!!

Lost soul
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Preperation for centralized exam for primary 3

Postby kamom » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:26 pm

Why the switch? Int'l school and our local school is very different. Are you sure you want to do what you want to do?

I am a returning Singaporean. My kids have been educated overseas and when they came home, they have no problem adjusting to school life. Kids are much more resilient and adaptable than we think.

Don't stress them out with your anxiety. Usually, such exams are just to test their academic level. I don't think you need to get a tutor to prepare them for the test. :smile:

kamom
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby slmkhoo » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:55 pm

My kids have been mostly educated in international schools overseas, but re-integrated into Singapore schools for brief periods (1-5 mths) in P2/4/6/Sec2. They didn't have much trouble adapting to Singapore schoolwork or schools. In terms of adjustment, you should prepare your child that there will be different ways to do things, different classroom expectations, different ways of interacting (perhaps). As long as your child is willing to observe and adapt, there shouldn't be much of a problem.

For academic matters, the main subject where there is likely to be a gap is Maths. You may want to get hold of the relevant textbooks and check which topics have been covered in international school and cover the remaining ones yourself, or engage a tutor. For my kids, I've always coached them myself and they have been fine. English shouldn't be a problem, and your child can probably be exempted from MT if you apply. To get an idea of what sort of question style is the norm (this can be quite different from other curricula), you can get hold of some of the assessment papers from Popular bookstore, or if you really want to push your child, some of the 'top schools' exam papers.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Lost soul » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:55 pm

slmkhoo wrote:My kids have been mostly educated in international schools overseas, but re-integrated into Singapore schools for brief periods (1-5 mths) in P2/4/6/Sec2. They didn't have much trouble adapting to Singapore schoolwork or schools. In terms of adjustment, you should prepare your child that there will be different ways to do things, different classroom expectations, different ways of interacting (perhaps). As long as your child is willing to observe and adapt, there shouldn't be much of a problem.

For academic matters, the main subject where there is likely to be a gap is Maths. You may want to get hold of the relevant textbooks and check which topics have been covered in international school and cover the remaining ones yourself, or engage a tutor. For my kids, I've always coached them myself and they have been fine. English shouldn't be a problem, and your child can probably be exempted from MT if you apply. To get an idea of what sort of question style is the norm (this can be quite different from other curricula), you can get hold of some of the assessment papers from Popular bookstore, or if you really want to push your child, some of the 'top schools' exam papers.

Thanks for the guidance !!! Please let me know what does "exemption from MT " means??

Lost soul
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby slmkhoo » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:58 pm

Lost soul wrote:
slmkhoo wrote:My kids have been mostly educated in international schools overseas, but re-integrated into Singapore schools for brief periods (1-5 mths) in P2/4/6/Sec2. They didn't have much trouble adapting to Singapore schoolwork or schools. In terms of adjustment, you should prepare your child that there will be different ways to do things, different classroom expectations, different ways of interacting (perhaps). As long as your child is willing to observe and adapt, there shouldn't be much of a problem.

Thanks for the guidance !!! Please let me know what does "exemption from MT " means??

Some kids who meet certain conditions are exempted from taking Mother Tongue (ie. Chinese/Malay/Tamil etc). Reasons are usually because of a learning disability, or when they have been overseas for more than 2 years. You can look up the details on the MOE website or ask the school.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Return to Primary 3