Coaching Chinese at Home

Academic support for Primary 3

Coaching Chinese at Home

Postby mom72 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:00 am

I'm a FTWM and I would like hear experience and advices from parents who coach their own kids on Chinese.

Dd does not like Chinese and due to her attention span, it does not work when I put her in tuition centre. While I wish to engage a 1-1 tutor, I am not sure if the tutor could turn her dislike to like. They need a different approach for my girl rather than following the school syllabus all the time. If she has no interest, we are just forcing info into her brain which she will not remember once that chapter is over. So I'm picky and it's really hard to find a good tutor around my area.

Plus she is very slow in her writing. She can take 2 hours just to finish a chapter of her 习字本. When she is bored in school, she do all sorts of funny things, she tear her book, she cut her skirt, she even draw on her sleeve! The worst thing is when you question her, she lied without blinking her eyes followed by tears when you push further. She cried on the slightest thing even when you are just telling her what she did wrong without raising your voice (not necessary to her hw). And all these got my fire up instantly! haiz...

Please help. Any advice is greatly appreciated. On coaching chinese and handling dd.

mom72
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: Coaching Chinese at Home

Postby sushi88 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:37 am

How old is your child and what is her interest?

sushi88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mom72 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:49 am

She's P3, going 9yo only in Oct. Her interest is in art.

mom72
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby sushi88 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:42 pm

How about starting with the culture of Chinese to ignite the interest to learn Chinese?

We also did the same for our kids. Join Chinese dance/wushu/calligraphy/play a Chinese instrument so that they are forced to communicate in Chinese with the teachers. Also some of the dance items requires recital in Chinese. Since she is good in art, you can let her do calligraphy or even learn Chinese painting instead. Also show her the videos on how Chinese characters come about, it is actually art. For example the word 马 actually came from the picture of the horse itself. If they develop the interest for Chinese sub-consciously, then they will be interested to learn Chinese on their own without much help from you thereafter.

Let me share one video as an example.

sushi88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sushi88 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:49 pm

Also, since she loves art, you may want to choose books with a lot of beautiful art but not so many words to read with her for a while. Tell her that a picture speaks but with some words, it becomes clearer.

幾米 has such books. An example is: 我只能为你画一张小卡片。

Jimmy Liao is a Taiwanese illustrator as well as a picture book writer. The name Jimmy is his English first name which brought about his Chinese pen name, 幾米.
Born: November 15, 1958 (age 55), Yilan City
Education: Chinese Culture University
Books: When the Moon Forgot, The Sound of Colors : A Journey of the Imagination, Beautiful Solitude
Movies: Turn Left, Turn Right, Starry Starry Night
Last edited by sushi88 on Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sushi88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mom72 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:51 pm

She's in ballet and when selecting school CCA, I suggested her to take up chinese dance, but she didn't want to. Recently, NLB over at my area had free lesson on calligraphy for kids, but registration was full.

I'm more interested in the videos on how Chinese characters come about. Where can I get it? I'm sure she will be interested in this. Thanks.

mom72
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby sushi88 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:56 pm

Here is one interesting video to show the drawings in Chinese characters.
Let her watch this:

sushi88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sushi88 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:58 pm

mom72 wrote:She's in ballet and when selecting school CCA, I suggested her to take up chinese dance, but she didn't want to. Recently, NLB over at my area had free lesson on calligraphy for kids, but registration was full.

I'm more interested in the videos on how Chinese characters come about. Where can I get it? I'm sure she will be interested in this. Thanks.

Is she interested in performance? CCA in Chinese Dance can participate in SYF(P5 she has a chance to take part as there is one this year) whereas ballet has no such event if it is school's ballet....at most informal performance.

sushi88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sushi88 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:59 pm

This is another one on the art of writing...really interesting.

sushi88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sushi88 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:03 pm

Since this is Chinese New Year.... it would be good to share the story of how the zodiac animals come about and they use the Chinese characters to draw the entire story.

sushi88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Primary 3