How to teach EL creative writing and HCL compo wrting?

Academic support for Primary 3

How to teach EL creative writing and HCL compo wrting?

Postby sunny » Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:00 pm

Can anyone share the techniques to teach?
My gal like to read EL story books, seldom read CL story books. In school, she didn't do well in compo writing for EL and HCL.

I guess I have 2 options now.
1. to teach her myself, but where to start?
2. to outsource to tuition centre. Can anyone share which tuition centres are good at teaching creating writing for EL and HCL?

sunny
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: How to teach EL creative writing and HCL compo wrting?

Postby Blue Pearl » Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:10 pm

I dun mind parents sharing how they their kids EL creative writing.

Blue Pearl
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby hopeful4future » Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:56 am

My kids' English book "library" takes up two whole ikea shelves but their Chinese collection... Is like 3 books.. So I would say we're in the same boat. when they're young they were always coming to me with mini books and cute comic strips in english. When they started school proper I decided better to put them with a good tutor to improve the writing "academically" - cos reading a lot doesn't mean they can automatically write well for exams :/ tutor was defo good choice for me.

hopeful4future
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby FB555 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:12 pm

Though reading does not necessary equate to fantastic writer, reading is still necessary to increase the child's vocabulary bank, general knowledge and generate new ideas.

Personally, it is hard for me to teach my kids creative writing and there is no straight forward answer to it just by referencing to writing guide books. It is not so simple just writing the setting, body of compo and conclusion. There is a lot more to do with language used, grammar and content. So i am also struggling to coach my kids in this area.
So tutor might be able to help teach the techniques but the child must put in effort as well. Like all skills, writing also need a lot of practices over long period of time to perfect it. There is no short cut as far as i know.

JUST MY 2Cents thots.
FB555
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby FootprintLeaver » Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:51 pm

I read this article Tips for poor essay writers and thought it is quite useful.

FootprintLeaver
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby hopeful4future » Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:05 pm

FB555 wrote:Though reading does not necessary equate to fantastic writer, reading is still necessary to increase the child's vocabulary bank, general knowledge and generate new ideas.

Personally, it is hard for me to teach my kids creative writing and there is no straight forward answer to it just by referencing to writing guide books. It is not so simple just writing the setting, body of compo and conclusion. There is a lot more to do with language used, grammar and content. So i am also struggling to coach my kids in this area.
So tutor might be able to help teach the techniques but the child must put in effort as well. Like all skills, writing also need a lot of practices over long period of time to perfect it. There is no short cut as far as i know.

JUST MY 2Cents thots.

Yup! Definitely agree that reading exposes kids to things outside of their little bubble, so yes I don't think tuition alone can boost writing skills :) I meant im lucky in the sense that i managed to find a tutor that exposes them to general knowledge and thinks abt long term , not just memorising thigs to repeat in the exams - won't work after they leave p6! I hate those compo books with lists hahaha..My son is now in sec sch and going strong ... But ..Wish I could say the same abt their mandarin :(

hopeful4future
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby FB555 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:08 pm

hopeful4future wrote:
FB555 wrote:Though reading does not necessary equate to fantastic writer, reading is still necessary to increase the child's vocabulary bank, general knowledge and generate new ideas.

JUST MY 2Cents thots.

Yup! Definitely agree that reading exposes kids to things outside of their little bubble, so yes I don't think tuition alone can boost writing skills :) I meant im lucky in the sense that i managed to find a tutor that exposes them to general knowledge and thinks abt long term , not just memorising thigs to repeat in the exams - won't work after they leave p6! I hate those compo books with lists hahaha..My son is now in sec sch and going strong ... But ..Wish I could say the same abt their mandarin :(

Hopeful4future
So glad tat ur kids coping well in sec sch for their English. Yes, good foundation goes a long way. :smile:

For chinese compo, i am even more helpless, but still trying v hard to coach my kids. :imdrowning:
FB555
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby woollendrums » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:36 pm

I'm also wondering how to improve my girl's comp writing. She is doing 'Word Bank' - learning new words every week, but somehow doesn't know how to apply. Also the content is lacking, according to teacher. Has anyone tried this school called Writers @ work? Considering to let her join. Any advise? Thanks

woollendrums
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby mummyxoxo » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:25 am

Dd's tutor taught her by learning sensational phrases and the techniques of story plotting. Heard from her that she is offering a short-term creative writing course on next week to highlight the main areas to note for creative writing. You can contact her at 93989072 for more information.

mummyxoxo
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Return to Primary 3