Difference in demands in P2 and P3

Academic support for Primary 3

Difference in demands in P2 and P3

Postby Serendipity » Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:55 pm

Hi experienced parents, is the jump from P2 to P3 in terms of demands and difficulty level very big? Which subject has the greatest jump in difficulty?

Thanks!

Serendipity
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: Difference in demands in P2 and P3

Postby Zappy » Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:10 pm

Serendipity wrote:Hi experienced parents, is the jump from P2 to P3 in terms of demands and difficulty level very big? Which subject has the greatest jump in difficulty?

Thanks!

There are higher expectations from the teachers in terms of things like essays/ oral but overall, I think the step-up is incremental.

The biggest difference would be the additional Science subject. But since this is the first year they are taking the subject, I think the teachers are pretty lenient, especially in Semester 1. They're stricter in SA2 but I think the main thing they are trying to inculcate is how to use key words & basic Science concepts.

Zappy
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Serendipity » Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:14 pm

Zappy wrote:
Serendipity wrote:Hi experienced parents, is the jump from P2 to P3 in terms of demands and difficulty level very big? Which subject has the greatest jump in difficulty?

Thanks!

There are higher expectations from the teachers in terms of things like essays/ oral but overall, I think the step-up is incremental.

The biggest difference would be the additional Science subject. But since this is the first year they are taking the subject, I think the teachers are pretty lenient, especially in Semester 1. They're stricter in SA2 but I think the main thing they are trying to inculcate is how to use key words & basic Science concepts.

Thanks Zappy!

How about the jump for Math? Can share more?

Serendipity
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Blokus » Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:03 pm

I'm curious to know if the p2 top students usually will maintain their standards ie get the Top awards in p3? How about those who didn't get top awards in p2? Does that mean they will not be able to catch up? Since p3 syllabus is harder than p2.

Blokus
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Zappy » Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:10 pm

I think (personal opinion only) that although it's definitely tougher, it wasn't something really scarily insurmountable as long as the kid pays attention in class & there's help from parents / siblings / tutors. The main differences in maths were harder fractions problems & some new topics like area/ perimeter. And of course the ever-popular models.

As for whether top p2 kids get the top awards for p3, I'd think it depends on schools. Some schools did streaming in p2 -> p3. So if the kids are now in the top 1 or 2 classes with all the super smart kids then it's not very reasonable for them to still take the top awards even if they did happen to get prizes in p1 & p2.

On the other hand, if the p2 kid is now streamed into a mid level class, he/ she could have a higher chance of getting an award, even if the absolute results are below that of the top class.

And I think that in general most kids will be able to cope, otherwise how would they all be promoted to p3, right? Even if the schools set tough papers, it's mostly just to differentiate the 100 scorers from the 99's and 98's. I don't think any school would set Olympiad level papers as every school would have some weaker kids who will need assistance.

Just because kids don't always get awards doesn't mean they can't cope. There can only be one 1st prize, or even if you give 1st, 2nd, 3rd... There's still going to be 20-30 kids without awards.

Zappy
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Wesim » Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:08 pm

Personally, I feel the English and Chinese comprehension is a difference. My dd is going to be in P3 next year, and has been doing both P3 comprehension now, and boy! She is still practicing really hard, especially Chinese. She has always been a straight A student, and now struggling with the Chinese compre. She is not doing Higher Chinese though...Science is another huddle as she has to understand how to answer the questions by using key words. Not suka-suka answer the questions :slapshead:

So, my advice is, start early!!

Wesim
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby happyandlucky » Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:59 pm

In terms of getting top awards, it will become more competitive starting from P3.
Example, in my DD's school, 12 classes of P2 means 36 students will get top achievement awards for that level.
However from P3, classes reduce from 12 to 9 as there are 40 students per class. Only 27 students will get the awards.

My take is as long as the overall % is reasonably good, ranking does not matter.
Of course, different people has different definition to "acceptable/ reasonable" grade.
My DD's result dropped quite a lot in P3 and I am praying she will improve next year.

happyandlucky
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby iRabbit » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:22 pm

My personal experience was more to do with my child than the change in level. Mine was very careless in P2; lost a lot of marks during exams due to transferor errors or simply not checking thoroughly enough.

He was still careless in P3 (and still is today), but the level of carelessness sort-of-halved from P2 to P3. Perhaps by virtue of being 1 year older, he became slightly more careful; or perhaps he felt the pressure to perform in the streamed P3 class.

Anyone's kid like mine, who became more serious about academics in a 'better' class?
Last edited by iRabbit on Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

iRabbit
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jedamum » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:25 pm

Compre, compo, oral.
To us, from most jump to least jump
Chinese
Eng
Math

Math was very managable as the school is not known to set killer heuristics problem sums. They set what they teach. Same goes to science too. If kids have no issue with concepts, the teachers cover the answering techniques rather well For our case.

His dip in results stems from Chinese compo, both Lang comprehension, oral and listening comprehension. for EL compo, p2-3 not very big jump. but if you have access to those model compo written by peers, you be surprised the best writer's standard is a notch above the regular ones even at p2. I can't even write that kind of vocab !

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby jedamum » Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:17 pm

Blokus wrote:I'm curious to know if the p2 top students usually will maintain their standards ie get the Top awards in p3? How about those who didn't get top awards in p2? Does that mean they will not be able to catch up? Since p3 syllabus is harder than p2.

Those who don't get awards in p2 does not mean they won't do well in p3. Because in p2, tests and exams are not very frequent and they all weigh high. Any slip in one component or subject in a mini test can pull down the overall grades. Like Eg my boy got band 2 for ca Chinese, based on a 25 mark paper which he got 21, two marks deduction for a wrong word order and two marks for carelessness. in fact, his p1 results was worse then his p2 results (not a big gap though) because of the few high weightage tests and he was still getting used to sitting for papers. like what irabbit mentioned, a year older, may be less careless, results may improve too.
P3 syllabus surely more stuff than p2, but if you give adequate supervision, tackle the weak areas promptly, you can still pull in better results than p2. P5 will be the year to really watch out for For all subjects, IMO.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Next

Return to Primary 3