Assessment book for Pri 4

Academic support for Primary 4

Assessment book for Pri 4

Postby Jenny Lim » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:10 am

Hi
Anyone know of any good assessment book or any good materials for Primary 4 Science, Maths and English. Thanks a million.
Regards

Jenny Lim
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Assessment book for Pri 4

Postby onyva » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:16 pm

Hi, I'm also interested to know what are the good assessment books for Pri 4 for Eng, Maths, Science & Higher Chinese. Will be very grateful if parents can share your experiences here. Thanks in advance.

onyva
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby nansk » Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:37 pm

I researched Maths assessment books for my dd, and have finally decided on these books by Ammiel Wan and Stewart Teng:
1. Visible Thinking in Mathematics P4 A and B - this is for teaching basic concepts, and computation practice. It will be useful for the Section A problems in her school's Maths papers.
2. Getmethinking P4 - this is for teaching problem solving strategies and providing lots of practice in solving word problems. It will be useful for the Section B and C problems in the Maths papers.
3. Onsponge Conquer Problem Sums - this is also for learning to solve challenging word problems that appear in Section B and C in the Maths papers.

For English, I have so far used the assessment books from Teachers@Work. This week, Popular bookstore has a massive sale at Suntec City. I will check out more options, but may eventually get the usual books by Teachers@Work.

For Science, I have not decided what to get. I may just have her work through the top schools' exam papers, and use the Lower Block Science Guide for help.

nansk
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby marlinsons » Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:54 pm

Hi Onyva,
For Higher Chinese, if you are looking for assessment books to introduce your child to the chinese words he or she will learn in P4 and also assess his or her learning results, 画龙点睛 may be a good series to start as it provides your child with the words to learn and write as a headstart as well as an assessment section to test his or her understanding of the words in various exam formats. I have posted a message under chinese assessment but if you are interested to know more, I am more than happy to fill you in on the details.

marlinsons
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby onyva » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:53 pm

Thanks nansk and marlinsons for your very helpful replies!

nansk - may I know what you think of Andrew Er? I have been using that for pri 3, honestly more coz of lack of knowledge about other assessment books and I keep seeing the name popping up in forums. But I will also check out those books you had recommended. Thanks too for the heads-up on the Suntec Popular sale.

marlinsons - I'm sorry, I wasn't able to locate the chinese assessment thread you had mentioned. May i know if i can get the 画龙点睛 series at Popular? Based on your experience, what is the main difference between Normal Chinese and Higher Chinese? Is the latter very much tougher on the child? How should I help my DD? I've been trying to get her to read more Chinese storybooks but not sure if that's enough. Her P3 Chinese teacher had said if by P5, the child is struggling to cope with Higher Chinese, they will recommend her to drop it. But this makes me wonder if I should even make DD go through it at all. Does Higher Chinese count much for PSLE? I like the Chinese language myself, but I have come to realise that sometimes too much overkill of something at a young age puts one off that something for a very long period after...

Thanks so much for all your sharing of experiences.

onyva
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby nansk » Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:17 pm

We actually used Andrew Er's Challenging Problems in P3. It is good, too. Just that it does not include any teaching of problem solving methods or any scaffolding of problem sums. That is where our dd needs more support. For her needs, we felt that that Ammiel Wan's books have lots of examples, practice problems and the right amount of scaffolding (skills building on top of previously taught skills).

If your child is more confident with Maths and does not need the systematic teaching and practice, then Andrew Er's Challenging Problems book would be a good choice.

The Popular sale is from 13-Dec to 22-Dec at Suntec halls 401-405. I missed the last two Popular sales at Expo, so I am keen to check this one out (although I am not going to buy much this time).

nansk
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby marlinsons » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:56 pm

Hi Onyva,
Yes, 画龙点睛is available at all Popular stores. It is a new series of Chinese assessment books targeted at primary school students who wants to build up a good foundation in Chinese, starting from essential textbook vocabulary.

画龙点睛consists of two books. The first book is essentially a 词语手册which is a consolidation of all必学词语based on the latest 2014 MOE syllabus. It uses colorful pictures to capture the children's attention so that they can easily correlate the picture to the meaning of the word. The second section of the 词语手册is a writing section with example sentences so that children can practise writing as well as reinforce the correct usage of the words that they have learnt.

Book two is an assessment book with essential exam formats such as 词语选择,辩字,词语配搭,填写汉字,短文填空,造句与拼音。What differentiates 画龙点睛from other assessment books in the market is the colourful pictorial representation of words and writing practice compared to existing 词语手册and the completeness of 必学词语in every single section of the assessment book unlike existing ones which typically cover a few in each exam format. This gives the student ample practice on the usage of the vocab learnt and you will never miss out on any 必学词语again.

The main difference between Normal Chinese and Higher Chinese is the format of the exam papers. The list of 必学词语is actually very much the same, even some of the 课文is the same. However, the standard of the Higher Chinese paper is very much higher and if the child is struggling with Chinese, I would not put another burden on her, on top of the other subjects. This is only my personal opinion though. See the following 画龙点睛book covers and some sample pages.

marlinsons
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby onyva » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:25 pm

Thanks so much both for your very helpful insights! :smile:

onyva
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby ciaobella » Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:10 pm

thank you for the tips

ciaobella
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby janet88 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:28 am

having a son taking higher Chinese before, I see the difference between standard Chinese and HMT...difference is quite big in terms of syllabus and exam questions. if the child is struggling with Chinese as it is, taking HMT is going to add more burden and may affect the other equally impt subjects.

for HMT, I used to buy SAP published titles...吴立均 (author) is tough and the font used is not very friendly.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Primary 4