Just for fun - Mommies coaching kids in Maths - Try this :)

Academic support for Primary 4

Just for fun - Mommies coaching kids in Maths - Try this :)

Postby BeContented » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:34 pm

Hi,
DH put forth a Maths question to P4 DD, P5 DS and of course the mommy to try.

Tap A fills up a tank in 12 minutes. Tap B fills up the same tank in 20 mins.
If both Tap A & B are running together, how many minutes does it take to fill up the tank?

Can you solve in 1 min? :wink:

BeContented
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby BeContented » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:45 pm

Another question....not Maths, more logical reasoning.

There are 3 men and 1 is blind. There are 3 black hats and 2 white hats in a basket. Each of them will just pick up a hat and put on his head without knowing the color.

The first man looked at the 2nd man and the blind, he thinks for a while and says "I dun know the color of my hat".
The 2nd man looked at the 1st man and the blind, he thinks for a while and also says "I dun know the color of my hat too".
The blind man says "I know the color of my hat".
How?

Have fun :)

BeContented
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Just for fun - Mommies coaching kids in Maths - Try this

Postby Guest » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:23 pm

cwc wrote:Hi,

If both Tap A & B are running together, how many minutes does it take to fill up the tank?

Ans: 7.5 mins

Postby BeContented » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:44 pm

ksi wrote:

Hee hee... correct. But curious, how long you take?

All along I thot my Maths is OK....but while I just started to see light, my DS already came out with answer and explanation within 1 minute. I thot he was fast.
BUT later, he was playing some 8pm race at this Problemsums.com against other schools student....need to solve 10 sums in total (ratio, fraction etc). DS took ~15 mins to solve all (I no need to try liao, already jam at first question). What shock me was...the top few only took ~3-4 minutes and hit perfect score. My god...how do these kids do it??? Less than 30 secs per question!!! I can't believe it :!:

This prompted me to wonder.....am I still qualified to coach DS :wink:

BeContented
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Guest » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:11 pm

cwc wrote:
ksi wrote:

Hee hee... correct. But curious, how long you take?

All along I thot my Maths is OK....but while I just started to see light, my DS already came out with answer and explanation within 1 minute. I thot he was fast.
BUT later, he was playing some 8pm race at this Problemsums.com against other schools student....need to solve 10 sums in total (ratio, fraction etc). DS took ~15 mins to solve all (I no need to try liao, already jam at first question). What shock me was...the top few only took ~3-4 minutes and hit perfect score. My god...how do these kids do it??? Less than 30 secs per question!!! I can't believe it :!:

This prompted me to wonder.....am I still qualified to coach DS :wink:

Less than 1 min but I agree these days kids are very fast. My closest encounter with speed for kids was 1 sec 1 timestable question and it has to be hand-written. 60 secs 60 questions. Incredible but ONE special kid did it.

Postby Wan » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:35 am

Oh dear, I think I'm lost. What level is this? I dun think I can coach my children pri sch maths at this rate although I was a F Maths student. How to upgrade mummy's rusty brain?

Wan
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby BeContented » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:36 am

ksi wrote:Less than 1 min but I agree these days kids are very fast. My closest encounter with speed for kids was 1 sec 1 timestable question and it has to be hand-written. 60 secs 60 questions. Incredible but ONE special kid did it.

Wah....you good :)
For timestable, sub/add.....i think with all these abacus....they are like faster than me keying on calculator :shock:

But for problem sum, very sum gotta think isn't it?? Anyway, I give up liao.
Beginning of P4, DS still try to challenge me.....by end P4....he was like .... errrhhh...... Guess, I only have the advantage of know more cos' studied before. Speed is definitely not there.....sigh.

BeContented
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby BeContented » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:40 am

Wan wrote:Oh dear, I think I'm lost. What level is this? I dun think I can coach my children pri sch maths at this rate although I was a F Maths student. How to upgrade mummy's rusty brain?

It's upper primary level ~P4&5......
I'm also rusty .... seeing how slow I am compared to my DS, I went to dig out the uncompleted P4 & P5 maths assessment book to try. Intend to DRILL myself to see if can catch up in 3 months' time. But as I do, I realised how tedious it is for the poor children, being DRILL daily....5 sums only I start to feel tired :oops:

AND I thot I was pretty good in MATHS.....now having 2nd thots..... :cry:

BeContented
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Guest » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:44 am

cwc wrote:
ksi wrote:Less than 1 min but I agree these days kids are very fast. My closest encounter with speed for kids was 1 sec 1 timestable question and it has to be hand-written. 60 secs 60 questions. Incredible but ONE special kid did it.

For timestable, sub/add.....i think with all these abacus....they are like faster than me keying on calculator :shock:

Beginning of P4, DS still try to challenge me.....by end P4....he was like .... errrhhh...... Guess, I only have the advantage of know more cos' studied before. Speed is definitely not there.....sigh.

It was fluke that this question I can do fast, I believe I may fail PSLE Math if I need to do within time limit now. :lol:

Postby Chenonceau » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:51 am

ksi wrote:
cwc wrote:

It was fluke that this question I can do fast, I believe I may fail PSLE Math if I need to do within time limit now. :lol:

Waaaah... it has been ONE night... and I still dunno how to do.

Chenonceau
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Primary 4