Q&A - P4 Science

Academic support for Primary 4

Q&A - P4 Science

Postby super-duper-quadruple » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:04 am

Anyone has idea about the movement of cockroach?

Paul put some animals into 3 groups, X,Y,and Z, as shown in the table below
Group X: grasshopper, sparrow
Group Y: Bee, Bat
Group Z:Shhark, Turtle

In which group would you put the word "cockroach"? :?

Thanks!

super-duper-quadruple
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: cockroach moves by fly or hopping or both?

Postby plum-cake » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:25 am

super-duper-quadruple wrote:Anyone has idea about the movement of cockroach?

Thanks!

my guess is group X because they share the same (3 stages) life cycle and bothof them can fly and hop

plum-cake
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby Funz » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:25 pm

do cockcroaches hop?

I thought grp Y, fly and crawl

Funz
Councillor
Councillor

Postby verykiasu2010 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:28 pm

Thanks!

it can be in any group because sparrow ate the grasshopper, bat eat the bee, shark ate the turtle in a soup
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jtoh » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:33 pm

verykiasu2010 wrote:

Thanks!

it can be in any group because sparrow ate the grasshopper, bat eat the bee, shark ate the turtle in a soup

:lol:

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

P4 Science...Teaching or Skimming?

Postby Lavender33 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:06 pm

Hi! Need some advice.

Since the start of this year, I have been coaching my son on his P4 Science. To do that, I referred to several books to gain a more complete understanding of the topic and a better insight on the manner of questioning that can be raised on the topic. Naturally, after doing quite a number of questions, my son is able to write better quality of answers to those structured/open-ended questions.

My concern is this. My son informed me that at school, the science teacher does not cover the same areas/depth of a particular topic as expected from those books. For example, when they were taught on the topic of plant life cycle, and the teacher asked the class the purpose of the 'seed coat', he proudly responded 'to protect the embryo from any injury, parasites and prevent from drying-up the food source during dormancy". The teacher told him his answer is "acceptable" and advised the class, can just answer "to protect the developing seed". After the lesson, apparently, his classmates queried him what 'dormancy' meant. Seems the teacher did not take the opportunity to expand the knowledge of the class by explaining the answer given by my son.

Same thing happen when the class was recently taught on the topic of 'Matter'. I understand from my son, his teacher did not explain to the class why 'gas can be compressed' whereas solid and liquid can't. My son knew as the topic requires students to understand the difference in the order/arrangement of particles in solid and liquid vs gas.

I wonder if this style of teaching is adopted, whether the students will eventually be able to handle the demands of the questions that are asked at PSLE! I'm worried if I were to ask the teacher, no matter how politely i put it, will come across as offending and put my son in a 'difficult' situation with his teachers. Of course, I can just 'not bother', but my concern is not just for my son, but for his classmates too.

Any advice? Thanks!

Lavender33
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: P4 Science...Teaching or Skimming?

Postby agpsle » Tue May 03, 2011 10:51 pm

Coming from the perspective of an educator, I feel that how much to teach really depends on the ability of the class. With tuition being so common right now, most of the pupils would have covered the topic even before the teachers covers them in class, however, teachers still have to be sensitive to the needs of those who may not have such privileges.

For classes who are generally weaker, teachers will have to be careful not to over-teach or may end up confusing the pupils even more. For me, if pupils bring up some questions beyond the topic, I may digress slightly. For a mixed-ability class, I may provide some links or resources to the higher ability pupils for extension in their learning.

What you've brought up in your post about particle theory is not required in the primary science syllabus but only taught at the secondary level. If your child is learning beyond the syllabus, you may like to have your child ask his teacher after class.

I hope this helps.

agpsle
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby cimman » Wed May 04, 2011 10:39 am

Lavender33 wrote:Hi! Need some advice.

Since the start of this year, I have been coaching my son on his P4 Science. To do that, I referred to several books to gain a more complete understanding of the topic and a better insight on the manner of questioning that can be raised on the topic. Naturally, after doing quite a number of questions, my son is able to write better quality of answers to those structured/open-ended questions.

My concern is this. My son informed me that at school, the science teacher does not cover the same areas/depth of a particular topic as expected from those books. For example, when they were taught on the topic of plant life cycle, and the teacher asked the class the purpose of the 'seed coat', he proudly responded 'to protect the embryo from any injury, parasites and prevent from drying-up the food source during dormancy". The teacher told him his answer is "acceptable" and advised the class, can just answer "to protect the developing seed". After the lesson, apparently, his classmates queried him what 'dormancy' meant. Seems the teacher did not take the opportunity to expand the knowledge of the class by explaining the answer given by my son.

Same thing happen when the class was recently taught on the topic of 'Matter'. I understand from my son, his teacher did not explain to the class why 'gas can be compressed' whereas solid and liquid can't. My son knew as the topic requires students to understand the difference in the order/arrangement of particles in solid and liquid vs gas.

I wonder if this style of teaching is adopted, whether the students will eventually be able to handle the demands of the questions that are asked at PSLE! I'm worried if I were to ask the teacher, no matter how politely i put it, will come across as offending and put my son in a 'difficult' situation with his teachers. Of course, I can just 'not bother', but my concern is not just for my son, but for his classmates too.

Any advice? Thanks!

I think it is best that you take a look at the PSLE Science Exam papers to have a better guage on the level of understanding required. Sometimes the Science Guides goes beyond the Syllabus, so it is best to know the boundaries of PSLE Science and not overdo the preparation. If your child is interested to find out more, well and good, but let him know it is outside the syllabus. If one gets full marks for saying the seed coat protects the seed in PSLE, then there is nothing wrong in the teacher not going beyond that.

In depth explanation, especially in Science takes up a lot of time. My child was asking about molecules, that led to me explaining about atoms, which led to atomic structure, sub atomic particles. Depending on how deep you want to go, answers can get pretty detailed and very time consuming. School teachers just don't have time for that, not when they are trying to finish the syllabus days before the exam. For the more detail stuff, I always tell him that it's out of syllabus and he shouldn't put those in his answers. The atomic explanation did come in useful when he asked about the nuclear meltdown that happended recently in Japan. He didn't know what a nuclear meltdown was.

The most important thing in answering science questions is to know what keywords the question is asking for. You can write a 5 sentence answer without the keywords and you'll still be marked wrong, even though it is logically correct. Or you can write the one sentence answer with the appropriate keywords and you'll get full marks.

cimman
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby MLJ » Wed May 04, 2011 2:11 pm

Yes, I think answering with the right keywords are important. what you can do is to buy the good school papers and look at the answer key and see how they answer.

You can also get the PSLE question booklet and look at the answers for the section B part. It would help you to know what are the keywords needed. It is good not to go too in-depth for kids as they might get confused. However, you could let them explore the topic in-depth during the holidays so that their natural curiosity to learn is not dampened.

MLJ
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby agpsle » Wed May 04, 2011 11:50 pm

Pls access MOE's website for the syllabus. :)

agpsle
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Next

Return to Primary 4