Is your child a failure if he has to do foundation in P5?

Academic support for Primary 4

Is your child a failure if he has to do foundation in P5?

Postby mahes_gopal » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:49 am

Hi just wanted to find out what other mums and dads think about this. My son is a very smart boy with above average IQ. BUt due a moderate learning disability and being a hands on learner he cannot cope with the high exam standards. After discussing with his doctor we decided that foundation would be best for him so that he can perform better in the less demanding exams and give him the space to bloom on his own. He is ok with it, but his classmates told him foundation is for failures. He still wants to do foundation as he knows his limitations. If a child goes to foundation or Normal technical or ITE is he a failure. What's your stand? Give us some encouragement. :rahrah:

mahes_gopal
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Is your child a failure if he has to do foundation in P5

Postby smartmummy » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:43 am

Hi mahes_gopal!

No,he is not a failure.Who is run in the race is not important, who is win the race in the end.Most important he likes to study and want to achieve.This attitude will give success.

U may find some motivation in the following threads

1)How this EM3 student became a PhD scholar
2)Dropout turned President

Sorry I tried to create links but links didn't work.
u may search this topic and can be found.Thanks.Don't worry.Be happy!

smartmummy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Flowermonaster » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:37 am

A definite No! My younger bro when he was in P3 was streamed to study extra 2 years of primary school. I can't remember what they called it at that time. In total he studied 8 years primary instead of 6 years. My mum was very worried as only the very slow learner was posted to study 8 years primary. My mum had no choice since we were too poor to send him tuition. He was posted to Normal stream in Secondary to a neighborhood school. After that he was posted to ITE and did well enough to get entry to Poly to further his study.
Although he took a much longer road than most people, he still managed to achieve his goal & support his family.

Flowermonaster
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby hquek » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:39 am

Hi Mahes_gopal,

Definitely NOT! I know of one who scored terribly in Pri school and went on to a sec school known more for gangsters than scholars. that person didn't do quite well but somehow managed to scrap to uni. There he graduated with First class honours and moved on to the financial industry. He's now earning big bucks.

A failure? No way! Having been through the system, I find it's too early to categorise kids as achievers/failures so early on. Very often, some kids may not be good in particular subjects and this drags them down overall. Yet, once they find their niche in tertiary education (poly or otherwise), they are the famed phoenixes that rises from the ash.

A classmate was alright in class in lower sec (not particularly brilliant). Once she hit upper sec, her talent in science was evident. She leveraged on this and went on to phd studies in a famed university overseas....doing academically better than those who got better overall scores than her.

Also another guy I know who purposedly took a longer time and went to Pre-U (3 yr course) instead of JC. Got a scholarship to local uni...and should be doing very well now too.

Please tell your kid that what pp see may not be nice to feel, he has to work harder to overcome that. With that hunger to succeed, he will surely rise above those that disdain where he is at this time.

All the best!

hquek
Councillor
Councillor

Postby phtthp » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:27 am

hi mahes_gopal,

please REMOVE that idea from your head that just because your son do foundation P5, he is a failure! Yes my dear, kindly eliminate this wrong thoughts from your mindset. If you keep having this wrong thought, you'll harm him unconsciously - because your actions & yr speech will mirror reflect your own innermost deep thoughts, sub consciously. Your son observing you silently in his heart at home - is aware of what you're thinking inside.

let me re-emphasise once again to you - your son is NOT a failure, and never ever will he be a failure. It's just that your son's talent lies somewhere else, perhaps in his hands. He will become a success one day, using the talent that God has given him. God has given your son a rare, unique talent. Just that as parent, you need to help him identify - now, where is this hidden talent of his?

remember one key thing - how do you run the race in life ? It is not at the starting point, what is it ? it is the attitude during & throughout the entire Journey. It is not how you start at that starting point that's important. It is how you are going to END at the finishing line that is important.

do you recall Rabbit and the Tortoise story ?
the Rabbit was arrogant. He thinks proudly ... aiya the tortoise so slow, definitely i'll win the race. Let me sleep first, so he slept. In the end, who won the race ? It's the Tortoise, not the Rabbit. Slow & steady wins the race. So your sons' classmates all represent the proud, silly Rabbit. And he who laughs first - usually is the one end up laughing last.

let me share with you my nephew's personal life story ...

he went to Pei Chun primary school. But he couldn't cope with the academics demanding rigor at Pei Chun. Form teachers feedback during PMT that he is slow. It was better to transfer him out from Pei Chun. In the end, a transfer vacancy arise. Nephew was transfered out to - Balestier Hill primary.

like your son, my nephew is very good with his two hands. His talent somehow lies in his pair of hands. From Balestier Hill primary, he then went on study at Balestier Hill Secondary. He barely passed the Express stream by 2 marks, because his PSLE score was only 202. The Express stream minimum bar was 200. While many smart primary kids in SG scored very well, way high above 24+, 25+, 26+, 27+, etc, my poor nephew managed to cross the PSLE Express bar hurdle - only by 2 marks.

Thank God Balestier Hill Secondary had got good, supportive teachers! They are very encouraging. They encouraged him in spirit all the way. Strangely it was in this Secondary school that he shine, using his two hands. With decent enuf O level grades, he entered Temasek Polytechnic.

now he's serving National Service. Recently, he just received the DBS Scholarship to study 4 years overseas in US. All his tuition fees, school fees, hostel accomadation, lodging, meals are all paid for. They even give him a decent monthly allowance, which is not a small amount.

so dun ever let your son's classmates remarks put him down. If they tell him not so nice remarks in school, when your son comes home from school, look at him directly in his eyes and assure, remind him gently this - Remember this always, son - God did not create you for nothing. You are special in God's eyes, you are a gem in Mommy's eyes - and God has given you some special, unique talent and Mommy loves you deeply. Then give him a tight, loving hug. Everyday, re-assure him this way. With the positive support from a warm and loving family shelter which only you & your husband, siblings can provide for him - he will grow up fine. remember - outside the world is very complicated, tend to hear more negative remarks everyday. Only your home can provide a warm & secure shelter for him to run to at all times where he can feel secure, esp. in times of fear, uncertainty, confusion, danger or chaos.
Last edited by phtthp on Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby hquek » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:31 am

way to go phtthp! thanks for sharing your nephew's story. It's great that he did not give up. All the best to him.

hquek
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Niedino » Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:44 am

mahes_gopal wrote:Hi just wanted to find out what other mums and dads think about this. My son is a very smart boy with above average IQ. BUt due a moderate learning disability and being a hands on learner he cannot cope with the high exam standards. After discussing with his doctor we decided that foundation would be best for him so that he can perform better in the less demanding exams and give him the space to bloom on his own. He is ok with it, but his classmates told him foundation is for failures. He still wants to do foundation as he knows his limitations. If a child goes to foundation or Normal technical or ITE is he a failure. What's your stand? Give us some encouragement. :rahrah:

Hi mahes_gopal,

The term 'foundation' is used for a reason. In the past, there was 'extended' and 'EM3' both of which were terms that may not have struck a right cord. However, with subject based banding and other recent educational initiatives, being in a foundation class will definitely not equate to failure. Our minister has recently highlighted about the multiple pathways available to achieve your educational goal. There are many ways to success in Singapore.

Do take heed of the fact that 'foundation' subjects are to strengthen your child's subject 'foundations' and prepare them for secondary school, much like the other subjects.

Hope it helps!

Niedino

Niedino
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby SAHM_TAN » Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:49 pm

I read that if take foundation science, the subject will not be tested in PSLE. So does that mean the child cannot take up science in Sec school? TIA

SAHM_TAN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mahes_gopal » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:54 pm

Thanks to everyone for your kind words of encouragement it really has lifted my sprit to know that there still people around us who don't look down on children who are not academically inclined.

mahes_gopal
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby hquek » Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:51 pm

Those that only look to academic qualifications are quite sad. Remember all those stories about brilliant kids who grew up only to end on wrong side of the law?

Bring up a child morally and ethically right, that's the key. And IMHO, way more difficult than scoring straight A's.

All the best for your child!

hquek
Councillor
Councillor

Next

Return to Primary 4