is it possible to teach p4 math ourselves?

Academic support for Primary 4

is it possible to teach p4 math ourselves?

Postby 24hr-mum » Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:24 am

if we get a good math assessment bk n work hard, is it poss to skip tuition and teach p4 math ourself? p5 then go tuition??

24hr-mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: is it possible to teach p4 math ourselves?

Postby Niedino » Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:37 pm

24hr-mum wrote:if we get a good math assessment bk n work hard, is it poss to skip tuition and teach p4 math ourself? p5 then go tuition??

Hi 24hr-mum,

Its possible, although I must add that to prepare your child well for P5, you should get them used to doing many many word problems. From my experience, the dip in performance is often after P4, when the child goes to P5 and faces 18 problem sums in Paper 2 as compared to 5 problem sums in P4. Take note of this and I'm sure you'll be able to prepare your child well!

Hope it helps!

Niedino

Niedino
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby 24hr-mum » Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:45 pm

wow, my child used to get band 1 But p3 get 78-88. i wonder if the tuition she has now fails to address her own weaknesses, tho gd at teaching problem solving. so i m wonderg shd i teach myslf but i cant do if the sums too difficult, i mean problem sums

24hr-mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sleepy » Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:43 pm

24hr-mum wrote:so i m wonderg shd i teach myslf but i cant do if the sums too difficult, i mean problem sums

I have problems with Maths too. Somehow brain not wired to MoE style of heuristic problem sums. Catch no ball.

You might want to consider hiring a home tutor to coach 1 to 1 if your dd is not reaping benefits from group tuition?

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Niedino » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:17 am

24hr-mum wrote:wow, my child used to get band 1 But p3 get 78-88. i wonder if the tuition she has now fails to address her own weaknesses, tho gd at teaching problem solving. so i m wonderg shd i teach myslf but i cant do if the sums too difficult, i mean problem sums

Hi 24hr-mum,

Do address the dip, as if your child dips too much in P4, its not easy to regain her confidence and her interest in learning Math.

Niedino
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby 24hr-mum » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:13 am

i not sure how.. change tuition centre? (concept math, andrew Er?), or teach mysf so i know wat is the weakness (and tahan my girl's whining??)
any good bks to recommend?

24hr-mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jedamum » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:25 am

24hr-mum,
i don't think it will be a good idea to teach your kid yourself if you don't know the concepts well, or is not good at explaining concepts.
for myself, kid is in P3 and i am already struggling with his Math (he is better than me!). however, i still keep a close eye on his mistakes so that i know his weak areas. then i will get the dad who is stronger in math and concept explanation to teach the kid stuff that he is weak in.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby quirkymum » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:30 am

My hubby is strong in his math but he will teach it differently from the school teacher and so my kid gets confused. Better to leave it to tuition. At least you know they are learning the right way. At P4, if they are getting 85 and above, I feel quite safe but if they are getting 70 plus, the dip might be quite a lot at P5. So now must strengthen their foundation.

quirkymum
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Champion » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:33 am

jedamum wrote:for myself, kid is in P3 and i am already struggling with his Math (he is better than me!). however, i still keep a close eye on his mistakes so that i know his weak areas.

:hi5: Jedamum!
I am struggling too and am still learning the various methods in applying to the P3 Maths Problem sums :wink: ..Did anyone read yesterday TheSundayTimes - on the Lifestyle section with the heading," Parents are taking lessons from Mathematics to Languages so that they can help their children cope better in school!" Being parents this generation is really :sweat: :nailbite: :scared: :yikes: and I always feel like :duck:

Champion
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Herbie » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:13 pm

it is possible to teach p4 maths ourselves.
Tuition does not gurantee result.

Herbie
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Primary 4