p4 ca1

Academic support for Primary 4

p4 ca1

Postby 24hr-mum » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:01 pm

my gal got 65 for math p4 ca1. used to b 80-95. is it common to drop so much?

24hr-mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: p4 ca1

Postby Kitty » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:38 pm

24hr-mum wrote:my gal got 65 for math p4 ca1. used to b 80-95. is it common to drop so much?

My personal opinion is the drop should not be so much. Basically, for CA1, they are still testing alot on Whole Numbers and the concept is the same except the number gets bigger.

Is your gal tested on Fraction for CA1 ? If yes, then I would say a drop is still acceptable since new topics are tested.

Kitty
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby jedamum » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:58 pm

you have to see is it due to misconception.
while i was preparing my boy for his first mini math test this year, i realised that he had misconception in the topic on rounding-off. although i thought that it is super easy (rounding off only what), but a misconception is a misconception that will affect all questions attempted. once i rectified the root of the problem, that batch of mistakes was accounted for.

have to analysis the paper first before you can conclude if your girl is weak in math.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby 24hr-mum » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:33 pm

there r 46 qn n mainly whole nos. i think she lost focus n cant perform under stress. there were two qn undone

24hr-mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby HAPPYH » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:05 pm

24hr-mum wrote:there r 46 qn n mainly whole nos. i think she lost focus n cant perform under stress. there were two qn undone

Don't worry 24 hr mum. My DD also did her Math CA1 very badly. I did not see the test paper yet. I know that I can not sleep well tonight although she is watching TV now. She is really like :imcool:

As suggested by others, we need to see the root problem and try to fix it as much as possible. We should be happy that we got the chance to see their problem (could it be concept, stress, careless, etc...). And we still have time to fix before PSLE :xedfingers:

And we should also learn not to show our anger and disappointment to them. I am trying very hard to follow this after reading some comments from other parents. At the same time, I also worry whether she will take the attitude, "ok, mummy never scold me, that means if I score less also, does not matter" Very scared also. Really not easy.

24 hr mum, don't worry too much. If they score less now, definitely they will put extra efforts. So we must make sure that we don't demoralise them. We hope for the best and also show our child that mummy is always here to help them out. :hugs:

HAPPYH
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby smartmummy » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:31 pm

Hi 24Mum!
its a very confusing topic.it seems to be easy but not. When i go through past papers my son can do but When see the book it make confuse us. Day before the exam so i didn't want to confuse. Estimate part bit confusing. Need to analyse like science.Hehehe......
I haven 't get the marks yet. Nowadays i can accept any marks. More than 50 needed for standard course

smartmummy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby smartmummy » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:44 pm

24hr-mum wrote:there r 46 qn n mainly whole nos. i think she lost focus n cant perform under stress. there were two qn undone

My son said when a boy passed the paper to T. ,his hand was shaking. Then the T said cool down.
Talk to her. Tell her that u love her.before the exam tell her that do ur best.

smartmummy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby 24hr-mum » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:03 am

she also did v badly for sci despite tuitn. last yr stil 80+, but sa2 76. now p4 ca1 jus 68. i cant believe it. whr she will wk harder i duno but shes willg to do wk type. i really duno wats wrong wf her. mcq 46/60. so jia lat. evn if she practise exam ppr all qn nvr come out. her class got pple 60+. 1 fail. but her gd frds all anv 80. now i duno wat to do: stop tuitn, change tuitn, wk harder ? she does well in tuitn but jus cant perf in exams. she sleep at 930, wake up 615. i nvr stress her . i totally lost confidence in her

24hr-mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby bebe » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:18 am

I find the transition from P3 to P4 more drastic than from P2 to P3. My gal did badly for her first topical test (9/20) and since then, I have been monitoring her progress closely and lately she scored full for the last topical test. Her sch does not have CA but I printed out past yr CA for her..so far her score ranges from 65 to 79 - current weak area is the fraction part but I am forgiving as this is somehow different from P3. I think it will take a while for her to get used.

bebe
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Champion » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:28 am

:hugs: 24hr_mum,
DO NOT LOST confidence with your girl; she still need your support & encouragement! :snuggles:

P4 is another level that our kids need to adjust & adapt. This is the 1st exam that they are taking so somehow it carries some fears & uncertainty of what will be expected in the papers :nailbite:

Have a talk with her - one to one in an environment both you feel comfortable in. Ask her for her thoughts in the result and assures her if she has tried her best, it enough :smile: also, check with her how she feels about attending tuitions; you never know her actual feeling :smile:

Above is my little opinion and I am actually taking the "relax" route awaiting for my P4 dd1's result :wink: She already "pre-alert" me that all her 4 papers are very tough! :sweat:

Champion
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Primary 4