P4 SA1 Results

Academic support for Primary 4

P4 SA1 Results

Postby yvetan2020 » Wed May 16, 2012 9:35 am

Now that the SA1 are over, can anyone share their kids' SA1 results so that I can know roughly what to expect of my child.

At P4 level, what score would consider as acceptable by most parents?
Does your kids have tuition for all subjects?
Does the tuition helps?

yvetan2020
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: P4 SA1 Results

Postby Nebbermind » Wed May 16, 2012 9:50 am

it'll be difficult to compare coz every school's exam is different...some have higher % for poor score due to difficult paper set.

It's better to review the exam papers with your kid and see how to avoid losing those marks

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby yvetan2020 » Wed May 16, 2012 10:04 am

I know about this issue, I am not trying to compare.
It is just getting a rough idea the average a kid can score.
For eg, if a kid can get very good marks doesn't mean that he/she is very smart. They could have score so well becos they attend tuition classes.
What will happen if they are not sent for tuition?
So if a kid does not attend any tuition and still can get 85+, so is this consider as good?

yvetan2020
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Mychildren » Thu May 17, 2012 9:46 am

It better to compare with the school classmates as they sat for the same paper. Also, you may check whether the kid got tuition or was taught only by their parents or on their own only.

Then, you can more or less figure out how your child is from there. Tuition or parents guide may or may not contribute to their score. A lot also depends on whether how the child was taught in school and whether he/she has grasp the concept well before he/she attempt the paper.

My son score 85 and my thinking is no good because he had not grasp the concept before he attempt his paper. He was not well prepare and it is sad that I knew it too late, just the night before he sit for his paper when I figured it out from the mock test paper in his bag. I'm sad that he had not even show me this paper to revise with him. It was sitting in his bag over the weekend. Something could have been done so you know what is wrong now.? :nailbite:

Though he got band 1, I'm not happy with his attitude. So "NG".
Mychildren
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jedamum » Thu May 17, 2012 1:27 pm

Mychildren wrote:
Though he got band 1, I'm not happy with his attitude. So "NG".

I can understand your statement above.
My boy got band 1 for a certain subject, but "NG" because it is below class average (barely band1 and at this rate by SA2 will be in band2) and he had tuition for it...and his attitude also needs checking for this subject. but somehow i think this is his limit already ie no matter how to push, dont think we can make a breakthrough unless he change his attitude.
For his another subject, also band 1, around class average (maybe below, but i dont care), but "VG" (Very good) to me because no tuition and i spent minimum time coaching him.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Mychildren » Thu May 17, 2012 6:45 pm

I've encountered parent asking me why my son cannot be in the best class since I'm coaching them at home myself. I hope I can tell them straight in the face,"Ya lo, I'm not up to the standard and my child is not as clever as yours lo...
Is it parents' fault when child can't score well??? No choice la, people think that I the one who is taking the tests and exams lo....

Grumbling....... :siao:
Mychildren
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby yvetan2020 » Fri May 18, 2012 10:08 am

Thanks for replying, Mychildren
I totally agree with you.
It really depends on the child's individual character and attitude.

It's exactly like what Jedamum had mentioned, sometimes when a child have tuition and yet can't score (reason could be due to his disliking that particular subject) but when he/she can score well w/o tuition, it could be because he likes the subject so he/she will show interest in studying hard and also grasp the concept of it.

Sometimes it's really beyond our control and what we can do is encourage them.

Especially when parents who coach their child will have more stress, when the results are out and the child score with flying colours, the credit goes to the parents but when the child don't perform, who to blame? I think it still comes down to the child.

Btw, my girl results are out.
Eng - 85, Math - 90, MT - 75, Sc - 75
She used to score band 1 for all subjects.
I see a drop in 2 of the subjects but I know she has done her best cos she doesn't have tuition and managed everything by herself.
Furthermore, the form teacher had told them that all the papers are of P5 standard.

I think you guys have enlightened me in some ways. What I can do now is to get her to do more assessment books or past year exam papers if I can get hold of it. Hopefully it will help.

yvetan2020
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Mawar » Fri May 18, 2012 10:51 am

I sort of understand where you are coming from. My DD is pretty much on her own with her school work, and has done relatively well. From the drip and drap test scripts returned, we are prepared to see a marked drop in grades.

I am out of the parent loop, and DD does not know what the highest, lowest or average scores in class. She was on medical leave when teachers went through the papers. So I don't know how she fared and if the tests were manageable.

I am not pushing any panic buttons. I know DD has tried her best. But I will try to talk to the teacher when I see her during the PTM.

Mawar
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Mychildren » Fri May 18, 2012 3:34 pm

Hi, yvetan2020,

My DS score is 75.5 for MT, 88 for English, 85 for Math and 91.5 for Science. MT dropped drastically.
Mychildren
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby VJA » Fri May 18, 2012 3:52 pm

Feel like crying at this moment after hearing my DD results.
sending her to tuition classes , taking leave to coach her during exams etc.. all efforts went down to drain.
feeling really bad, I know DD dun feel good too and she knows she did not do well for SA1.
she used to be in the 95% range but this year the dropped was too drastic for me to handle.
she has Eng- 83, MT- 91, Maths- 81, science- 71

VJA
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Next

Return to Primary 4