can anyone suggest the fastest way to brush-up science

Academic support for Primary 4

can anyone suggest the fastest way to brush-up science

Postby kaitlynangelica » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:30 am

Hi,

Can anyone suggest the fastest way to brush-up science.

My gal got 52% for her CAI ( P4 ).

Started her on intensive tuition.

Last night, I tested her on the MCQ from the 2012 papers from Cath High, SCGS and Tao Nan and to my horror, she couldn't do many. Failed the Tao Nan one.

According to her, many of the topics have yet to be covered in school. And that is another problem, different teachers teach differently across the whole cohort.

kaitlynangelica
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: can anyone suggest the fastest way to brush-up science

Postby janet88 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:45 am

kaitlynangelica wrote:Hi,

Last night, I tested her on the MCQ from the 2012 papers from Cath High, SCGS and Tao Nan and to my horror, she couldn't do many. Failed the Tao Nan one.

According to her, many of the topics have yet to be covered in school. And that is another problem, different teachers teach differently across the whole cohort.

What your daughter mentioned is true.
I searched P4 Sa1 bcos of that topic on 'Cycles'...not covered at P3 for most schools. Drank 2 cups of coffee to comb through all the schools' MCQ questions on diversity and cycles to prepare her...dread to see her working on them alone, with a timer, as per her teacher's advice.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Champion » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:49 am

Hi :snuggles: I do not have a quickest way of brushing up Science but just like to share some experience that I have gone through with my DD1, who is P5 this year.

Since P3, she has been told by her Science T that MCQ is 60% and so try to score 50 marks and you have at least passed the Science paper :smile: She being using the following Science MCQ books for revision:-
http://books.justeducation.com/index.ph ... block.html

http://sapgrp.com/shop/images/pdf/97898 ... reface.pdf

I like to reiterate that I am not related to any of the publishers nor the authors of the above 2 books :lol:

Champion
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby janet88 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:56 am

Hi champion,
:smile:

Bcos of the different topics taught, I have to get both p3 and P4 together.
Scoring 50 out of 60 for MCQ for daughter is an achievement..and we want to work towards that now. Build confidence first. Open ended structured questions comes later.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jedamum » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:11 am

Yes, quickest way to score is Nail those MCQs!
Not the book per se, but literally tackle mcqs as they form the back bone of foundation before you can even talk about doing well for section b. I am talking about lower block science.

Do not be intimidated by the differences in topics between schools. There is already much to be concerned about, so don't let your kids use this as an excuse to do poorly in at least mcqs. You can use it to train your kids to identify the difference in exam topics too.

Get topical assessment. Preferably those with explanation. There is more than Nail Those MCQ that have mcq answers with explanation.

Buy both levels if need be. I stock up p4s assessment when he was in p3, and havep6 ones now he is in p5. Just need a bit more shelf space.

Go through mcq technique with her. Questions with table answers to select, teach her how to eliminate in a systematic way. Topical papers, look at which portion of the topic she is weak in and explain read more if need be. If using past papers, jot down which topics she is weak in and which portion of that topic.

Do note the exam papers answers are not reliable. When in doubt, approach the form teacher to clarify.

Do also note that some kids are not inclined towardsp science. Eg for me, whenever the questions are too lengthy, I lose focus mid way into the question. I have difficulty understanding the question at times too, so my son will explain to to before we check the answer sheet explanation. So you should get down and do those questions with her to see her difficulties and strengths.

Jiayou!

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby jedamum » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:26 am

And, in computing her score for attempts on past year papers, it should be based on the topics that she learnt before. Take some time to look through all the mcq papers, and you can list the topics tested on the front page, so you can choose the appropriate one for her to do. For a start, you can cross out those not related ones. I did that last year. At p5 now, I just list the topics. He has to identify or simply attempt those questions if he wants. But I know some school papers are heavy on electricity or cells, so I kiv those papers. I only get one level this round as we focus more on topical assessment and there are lesser time to practice papers this year.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby janet88 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:34 am

I did coach son for a little science at lower level...but diff topics tested for daughter required me to be a little more ON. Nail those MCQs, they are worth a lot and definitely very important to build confidence.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Anna Ng » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:48 am

Champion wrote:Hi :snuggles: I do not have a quickest way of brushing up Science but just like to share some experience that I have gone through with my DD1, who is P5 this year.

Since P3, she has been told by her Science T that MCQ is 60% and so try to score 50 marks and you have at least passed the Science paper :smile: She being using the following Science MCQ books for revision:-
http://books.justeducation.com/index.ph ... block.html

http://sapgrp.com/shop/images/pdf/97898 ... reface.pdf

I like to reiterate that I am not related to any of the publishers nor the authors of the above 2 books :lol:

not sure whether we can get the books from POPULAR? SA1 is coming ---

Anna Ng
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby wonderm » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:56 am

kaitlynangelica wrote:Hi,

My suggestion is do not go directly into testing her with exam papers or assessment books. If possible, you (or her tutor) should go through the concept of those topics she has already learnt one more time to see if she has any misconception. Just because the school has covered the topic, it doesn't mean all the kids fully understand the concept. At times, even if a child ticks the correct answer for an MCQ, it still doesn't mean he/she chose the answer for the correct reason.

Once you have covered the concept, it is indeed important to let her try out the questions. But at the start, it is better not to worry about the marks, that only serves to stress her unnecessarily. Focus on each question she does and go through the answer and her reasoning slowly. Give her lots of encouragement when she gets it right and shows improvement. Along the way, she will discover the beauty of the subject and gets more interested in it. This will really help her to have the motivation to learn more about science, beyond those covered by the syllabus.

This is how I helped my kids when they were in Primary level. Hope it is helpful to you.

wonderm
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

1 people like this post

Postby BigDevil » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:01 pm

BigDevil
ClassMonitor
ClassMonitor

Next

Return to Primary 4