how to help my girl improve on science

Academic support for Primary 4

how to help my girl improve on science

Postby Musicstar » Tue May 19, 2015 5:19 pm

Actually, do I need to send my girl for tuition science. How can I help her to improve on it especially on section b ? She score 50/60 & 24.5/40 for section A and B respectively in SA1.

Musicstar
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: how to help my girl improve on science

Postby Back to Basics » Tue May 19, 2015 7:36 pm

You probably need to see her science papers. Make sure she is answering to the question. Many children simply assume that the teacher will 'understand' and therefore they did not actually answer to the question. They will lose a lot of marks because of it. It looks like she understands her science concept pretty well since she did okay for her MCQ. =) Hope this helps!

Back to Basics
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Musicstar » Tue May 19, 2015 9:33 pm

Back to Basics wrote:You probably need to see her science papers. Make sure she is answering to the question. Many children simply assume that the teacher will 'understand' and therefore they did not actually answer to the question. They will lose a lot of marks because of it. It looks like she understands her science concept pretty well since she did okay for her MCQ. =) Hope this helps!

Yes, she does not how to apply it. For section b 2 marks question which did not score .

Musicstar
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Sarahchew » Tue May 19, 2015 11:25 pm

Exam results are out. Looks like everyone is super stressed...

Sarahchew
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby AdonciaTang » Wed May 20, 2015 12:24 am

There is a technique to it. and its better u get someone qualified to do it. I saw how my younger DS score 17.5/40 and improve to 35/40 before. Its a very huge jump and I realise its the technique that the student need to apply to their question and thankful to the tutor who helped him.

AdonciaTang
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Honesty » Wed May 20, 2015 10:52 am

Is there a technique to handle OE questions for Science? I asked a Science teacher but she said no. Must know learning outcomes for every topic, then apply concepts from these topics and explain using these concepts with "key" words.... I'm sure all of us will be very keen to know what technique your kids' tutor use.

Can you share? Thanks

Honesty
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Ikid » Wed May 20, 2015 12:04 pm

Using the correct keywords in section b is important,
ie, you can't presume if the object 'is not floating' it sinks.
Good Science teachers can identify your child's weakness, whether your child didn't use the correct keywords or simply didn't know the answer.
Have a chat with her Science teacher to see if your child has a good grasp of her Science concepts. For MCQ, if she's able to score about 56-58/60, usually it means she has good understanding of the concepts, and you can then work on her skill to answer section b with the correct keywords.
Last edited by Ikid on Wed May 20, 2015 12:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ikid
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby AdonciaTang » Wed May 20, 2015 12:05 pm

Ikid wrote:Using the correct keywords is section b is important,
ie, you can't presume if the object 'is not floating' it sinks.
Good Science teachers can identify your child's weakness, whether your child didn't use the correct keywords or simply didn't know the answer.
Have a chat with her Science teacher to see if your child has a good grasp of her Science concepts. For MCQ, if she's able to score about 56-68/60, usually it means she has good understanding of the concepts, and you can then work on her skill to answer section b with the correct keywords.

yes i agree.

AdonciaTang
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby FootprintLeaver » Thu May 21, 2015 1:45 pm

A parent asked similar question in this link http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/forum ... 69&t=82821

FootprintLeaver
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Musicstar » Thu May 21, 2015 2:08 pm

FootprintLeaver wrote:A parent asked similar question in this link http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/forum ... 69&t=82821

Thank you for the link.

Musicstar
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Next

Return to Primary 4