LEARNConcierge

Q&A - P4 English

Academic support for Primary 4

Re: Q&A - P4 English

Postby EnglishGroupTuition » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:14 pm

jj_1808 wrote:As my domestic helper _________ the room, she mopped the floor 1.tidy 2. had tided 3. has tided 4. was tidying . Which is the correct answer and also please provide an explanation? Thanks

My son said was tidiying is the correct answer.

Hi, your son is correct :)

We use the conjunction 'as' when one event happens while another is in progress (similar to 'when' and 'while'). The verb that follows after the conjunction is often in the continuous form, and therefore we choose 'was tidying'.
Last edited by EnglishGroupTuition on Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EnglishGroupTuition
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby EnglishGroupTuition » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:26 pm

AT wrote:Hi all

I have a question which confuse me many times when it involve " Neither...nor..".

When should we use singular form or plural form?

Many thanks

AT

Hi, 'neither..nor' and 'either..or' works the same way. They follow the proximity rule. This means that we look at the subject that is nearer to the verb.

E.g.
1. Neither Mr Lim nor the boys like cakes.
In this example, the boys (plural) is nearer to the verb, so we use a plural verb, like.

2. Neither the boys nor Mr Lim likes cakes.
Here, Mr Lim (singular) is nearer to the verb, so we use a singular verb, likes.

EnglishGroupTuition
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby everafter » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:46 pm

Hi,

For collective nouns, how do we determine if it should be singular or plural? Is it based on context of the sentence? I got a shock when my DS told me his teacher said read does it make sense??!!! :mad: :rant: :stompfeet:

Example : My family (is/are) going to Australia next week. In this case we use "is" but how to explain my family is treated as singular as its treated as one single group consisting of many

Example : The audience (was/were) cheering loudly for their team. In this case, the word "their" gives the clue that "the audience" should be treated as plural? Am i right to explain like this?

everafter
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby OwlSmart » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:42 pm

everafter wrote:Hi,

For collective nouns, how do we determine if it should be singular or plural? Is it based on context of the sentence? I got a shock when my DS told me his teacher said read does it make sense??!!! :mad: :rant: :stompfeet:

Example : My family (is/are) going to Australia next week. In this case we use "is" but how to explain my family is treated as singular as its treated as one single group consisting of many

Example : The audience (was/were) cheering loudly for their team. In this case, the word "their" gives the clue that "the audience" should be treated as plural? Am i right to explain like this?

Hello,
I can understand your frustration on this.
Perhaps the teacher might have an explanation that he did not fully present to your child.
I follow these pointers as a guide.
1. Are all the members of the group behaving in the same manner? Are they doing only one thing in unison with other members of the group? When these people are part of a collective noun, that noun becomes singular and requires singular verbs and pronouns.
E.g. That class is going through the medical examination at the library now.
The audience cheers wildly as the pop star enters the arrival hall.
Before the start of the lesson, the class moves to the centre of the classroom.

2. When the members are acting as individuals, the collective noun is plural and requires plural verbs and pronouns.
E.g. My family are all over the amusement park right now.
My family are undecided on where to go for our upcoming holidays.
After the long explanation by the teacher, the class continue with the / their individual project work.

* To make it clear and less frustrating, you can change to :
My family members are all over the amusement park right now.

Hope this helps.

OwlSmart
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Previous

Return to Primary 4

LEARNConcierge