Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres

Q&A - P4 English

Academic support for Primary 4

Re: Q&A - P4 English

Postby EnglishGroupTuition » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:14 pm

jj_1808 wrote:As my domestic helper _________ the room, she mopped the floor 1.tidy 2. had tided 3. has tided 4. was tidying . Which is the correct answer and also please provide an explanation? Thanks

My son said was tidiying is the correct answer.

Hi, your son is correct :)

We use the conjunction 'as' when one event happens while another is in progress (similar to 'when' and 'while'). The verb that follows after the conjunction is often in the continuous form, and therefore we choose 'was tidying'.
Last edited by EnglishGroupTuition on Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EnglishGroupTuition
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
 
Posts: 139
Joined: Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:27 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: Q&A - P4 English

Postby EnglishGroupTuition » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:26 pm

AT wrote:Hi all

I have a question which confuse me many times when it involve " Neither...nor..".

When should we use singular form or plural form?

Many thanks

AT

Hi, 'neither..nor' and 'either..or' works the same way. They follow the proximity rule. This means that we look at the subject that is nearer to the verb.

E.g.
1. Neither Mr Lim nor the boys like cakes.
In this example, the boys (plural) is nearer to the verb, so we use a plural verb, like.

2. Neither the boys nor Mr Lim likes cakes.
Here, Mr Lim (singular) is nearer to the verb, so we use a singular verb, likes.

EnglishGroupTuition
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
 
Posts: 139
Joined: Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:27 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: Q&A - P4 English

Postby everafter » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:46 pm

Hi,

For collective nouns, how do we determine if it should be singular or plural? Is it based on context of the sentence? I got a shock when my DS told me his teacher said read does it make sense??!!! :mad: :rant: :stompfeet:

Example : My family (is/are) going to Australia next week. In this case we use "is" but how to explain my family is treated as singular as its treated as one single group consisting of many

Example : The audience (was/were) cheering loudly for their team. In this case, the word "their" gives the clue that "the audience" should be treated as plural? Am i right to explain like this?

everafter
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:14 am
Total Likes: 0


Re: Q&A - P4 English

Postby OwlSmart » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:42 pm

everafter wrote:Hi,

For collective nouns, how do we determine if it should be singular or plural? Is it based on context of the sentence? I got a shock when my DS told me his teacher said read does it make sense??!!! :mad: :rant: :stompfeet:

Example : My family (is/are) going to Australia next week. In this case we use "is" but how to explain my family is treated as singular as its treated as one single group consisting of many

Example : The audience (was/were) cheering loudly for their team. In this case, the word "their" gives the clue that "the audience" should be treated as plural? Am i right to explain like this?


Hello,
I can understand your frustration on this.
Perhaps the teacher might have an explanation that he did not fully present to your child.
I follow these pointers as a guide.
1. Are all the members of the group behaving in the same manner? Are they doing only one thing in unison with other members of the group? When these people are part of a collective noun, that noun becomes singular and requires singular verbs and pronouns.
E.g. That class is going through the medical examination at the library now.
The audience cheers wildly as the pop star enters the arrival hall.
Before the start of the lesson, the class moves to the centre of the classroom.

2. When the members are acting as individuals, the collective noun is plural and requires plural verbs and pronouns.
E.g. My family are all over the amusement park right now.
My family are undecided on where to go for our upcoming holidays.
After the long explanation by the teacher, the class continue with the / their individual project work.

* To make it clear and less frustrating, you can change to :
My family members are all over the amusement park right now.

Hope this helps.

OwlSmart
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:15 pm
Total Likes: 1


Re: Q&A - P4 English

Postby bremarlov » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:34 pm

Need help

My sister, as well as her friends, ________ the cartoon character, Pony.
1. love
2. loves
3. loving
4. are loving

bremarlov
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:06 pm
Total Likes: 0



Re: Q&A - P4 English

Postby proudmum80 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:40 pm

:snuggles: The answer is 'love'

proudmum80
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:10 am
Total Likes: 0


Re: Q&A - P4 English

Postby zac's mum » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:47 pm

My answer is “loves”. Should ignore the phrase within the 2 commas (“as well as her friends”).

zac's mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 1609
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:10 pm
Total Likes: 25


Re: Q&A - P4 English

Postby bremarlov » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:10 pm

My boy ans. 1
but the correct ans is 2

bremarlov
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:06 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: Q&A - P4 English

Postby D3@n » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:28 am

bremarlov wrote:My boy ans. 1
but the correct ans is 2


2 is correct.

My sister, as well as her friends, loves the cartoon character, Pony.

The verb "loves" agrees with the singular subject of the sentence "My sister".
Anything in between the commas should be ignored.

Consider this,

My sisters, as well as her friends, love the cartoon character, Pony.

Here, "My sisters" is a plural subject, and hence "love" agrees.

The trick to such sentence structure is to strike out what's in between the commas and just focus on the main subject of the sentence.

But in this case,

My sister and her friends love the cartoon character, Pony.

the subject is the plural "My sister and her friends" and hence "love" instead of "loves" agrees.

Hope this helps. :-D

D3@n
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
 
Posts: 170
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:15 pm
Total Likes: 8


Re: Q&A - P4 English

Postby bremarlov » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:12 am

D3@n wrote:
bremarlov wrote:My boy ans. 1
but the correct ans is 2


2 is correct.

My sister, as well as her friends, loves the cartoon character, Pony.

The verb "loves" agrees with the singular subject of the sentence "My sister".
Anything in between the commas should be ignored.

Consider this,

My sisters, as well as her friends, love the cartoon character, Pony.

Here, "My sisters" is a plural subject, and hence "love" agrees.

The trick to such sentence structure is to strike out what's in between the commas and just focus on the main subject of the sentence.

But in this case,

My sister and her friends love the cartoon character, Pony.

the subject is the plural "My sister and her friends" and hence "love" instead of "loves" agrees.

Hope this helps. :-D


Very helpful. :thankyou:

bremarlov
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:06 pm
Total Likes: 0


PreviousNext

Return to Primary 4

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres