Spotting talent early

Academic support for Primary 5
Post Reply
metz
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 1625
Joined: Mon Jul 28,
Total Likes:4

Post by metz » Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:35 pm

kiasulang wrote:
Most of the time, students do not meet the high COP because of their MT. You can have A*Math, A*Science, A*English but A for MT and score only 257. This is less than the COP of 263+. Through DSA, you get to go to your choice school and the school gets your talent.


Thanks for the enlightenment. Frankly, the above didn't strike me as a benefit (My eldest is still in preschool) when I posted earlier on. But you are right, this would be the most attractive benefit.

kiasulang wrote:However,are these students with lower COP able to compete with their peers who have admitted using PSLE T-scores, and at the same time have to fulfill their bargains through DSA?


I suppose most parents don't think that far. What matters most is getting their children into the choice schools.

metz
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 1625
Joined: Mon Jul 28,
Total Likes:4

Post by metz » Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:53 pm

EN wrote:If the child happily goes to the training, without screaming or dragging their feet with no interference needed from parents, I'm sure such training are beneficial. If the child are really into what they are doing, they will do it every day without anybody telling them to. It's the joy they derive from what they are doing. The child has internally build a goal of what they have set to do.

The only issue will be interfering parents whom instead of encouraging the child talent, started pushing for more. Parents themselves will know when to stop but still continue to push even though they can see that their child is no longer happy.


Hi En,
Totally agree with you that if the child is self motivated and happy with the training, it would definitely benefit him/her in terms of character building, development etc.

But I am just wondering how many parents would be able to 'see' the real benefits & 'indulge' their kids in such vigorous training if these talents do not contribute to the chance of entering a choice school. My guess is, there will still be a minority but not as many as I see nowadays.

EN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 1108
Joined: Mon Jul 07,

Post by EN » Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:26 pm

Chamonix wrote
But I am just wondering how many parents would be able to 'see' the real benefits & 'indulge' their kids in such vigorous training if these talents do not contribute to the chance of entering a choice school. My guess is, there will still be a minority but not as many as I see nowadays.


If parents are aware of DSA, chances are, many parents will see the real benefits & starts indulging. What I'm afraid are parents pushing their children to the limit even though there are plenty of signs given by the children that they are not enjoying the activities anymore.

Not all children have self dicipline & enough passion to do the daily training.

metz
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 1625
Joined: Mon Jul 28,
Total Likes:4

Post by metz » Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:43 pm

EN wrote:Chamonix wrote
But I am just wondering how many parents would be able to 'see' the real benefits & 'indulge' their kids in such vigorous training if these talents do not contribute to the chance of entering a choice school. My guess is, there will still be a minority but not as many as I see nowadays.


If parents are aware of DSA, chances are, many parents will see the real benefits & starts indulging. What I'm afraid are parents pushing their children to the limit even though there are plenty of signs given by the children that they are not enjoying the activities anymore.

Not all children have self dicipline & enough passion to do the daily training.


Guess we have different views on this. So far, the impression I have is that some parents are "strongly encouraging" their kids to pick up certain sports or activities for the sake of DSA, and not really for the sake of the kids' talents. In fact, it's irrelevant if the kids have the talents. Ultimately, they can be trained.

This applies to Higher Chinese too. Some parents are pushing their kids to take up Higher Chinese (even though the kids are weak in Chinese) to take advantage of the additional 2 points so as to increase their chances of joining a SAP sec school. This is very real as I have been advised to plan such a path for my kids too.

metz
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 1625
Joined: Mon Jul 28,
Total Likes:4

Post by metz » Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:56 pm

EN wrote:
Not all children have self dicipline & enough passion to do the daily training.


This is so true. At the moment, I still need to sit down and practise the musical instruments with my kids daily. The only consolation is that they are willing to do it when mommy sits beside them. :oops:


EN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 1108
Joined: Mon Jul 07,

Post by EN » Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:45 am

Chamonix comment
Guess we have different views on this. So far, the impression I have is that some parents are "strongly encouraging" their kids to pick up certain sports or activities for the sake of DSA, and not really for the sake of the kids' talents. In fact, it's irrelevant if the kids have the talents. Ultimately, they can be trained.


I do agree with your statement above - same view from different angle :wink:

I'm merely reflecting from your comment

But I am certainly feeling the heat of stress and pressure that some young kids have to go through.


Kiasulang wrote
My son used to fall sick almost every month, so we let him swim when he was 4+ once a week. He picked up all 4 strokes very fast. His coach recommended him to join competitive swimming. Now his pet strokes are Breast and Butterfly.


Your son must be a good swimmer. A coach don't recommend competitive swimming unless the child is good enough. I learnt breast stroke within a week, a bit from trainer, then I embark on my own. Can't stand the phase at which he go through. But I'm not a competitive swimmer.

EN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 1108
Joined: Mon Jul 07,

Post by EN » Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:56 am

Chamonix wrote
This is so true. At the moment, I still need to sit down and practise the musical instruments with my kids daily. The only consolation is that they are willing to do it when mommy sits beside them.


Well, they are not crying, nor wailing or grumbling. They are interested still but lack the internal motivation. You are not pushing them for competition nor towards obtaining diploma early right? You are merely reminding them to learn their lesson because for music without practice, they will not be able to play well.

I'm not against competition or towards obtaining diploma early. But that move should be initiated/agreed by the child. Parents should merely provide the resources not the push.

metz
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 1625
Joined: Mon Jul 28,
Total Likes:4

Post by metz » Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:59 pm

EN wrote:Well, they are not crying, nor wailing or grumbling. They are interested still but lack the internal motivation. You are not pushing them for competition nor towards obtaining diploma early right? You are merely reminding them to learn their lesson because for music without practice, they will not be able to play well.

I'm not against competition or towards obtaining diploma early. But that move should be initiated/agreed by the child. Parents should merely provide the resources not the push.


That's exactly what my ds' music teacher said! My ds can play but not play well because of lack of practice! Oh yes, compared to my friends, I definitely have an easier time getting to practise.

Definitely not pushing for grade tests. For violin, ds is taking suzuki, so no grading tests. And for piano, I told the teacher from Day 1 that we have no intention to send him for tests too. But yes, I would definitely show support if they express interests in joining competitions in future.

metz
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 1625
Joined: Mon Jul 28,
Total Likes:4

Post by metz » Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:03 pm

EN wrote:Chamonix comment
Guess we have different views on this. So far, the impression I have is that some parents are "strongly encouraging" their kids to pick up certain sports or activities for the sake of DSA, and not really for the sake of the kids' talents. In fact, it's irrelevant if the kids have the talents. Ultimately, they can be trained.


I do agree with your statement above - same view from different angle :wink:


Likewise, I understand your point of view too. Some pushing from parents and tough training is definitely beneficial, especially when they are still young. Important thing is to know when to draw a line. Otherwise, the kid will only be heading for early burnt-outs or breakdowns.

Kiasulang wrote
My son used to fall sick almost every month, so we let him swim when he was 4+ once a week. He picked up all 4 strokes very fast. His coach recommended him to join competitive swimming. Now his pet strokes are Breast and Butterfly.



Hi Kiasulang,

May I know how long did it take the coach to recommend him for competitive swimming?

kiasulang
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Posts: 80
Joined: Sat Nov 29,

Post by kiasulang » Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:55 pm

Hi EN and Chamonix

My son has won quite a few medals since he started competitive swimming. He works hard to earn them. I did not plan for this. His talents was discovered by his coach after a few surviving swimming lessons. I agreed to put him on competitive swimming because I thought it would be the same. Believe me, it is much tougher.

Throughout these years, I have seen many swimmers come and go. Even those who persist, many have not won medals before. The swimming arena are mostly dominated by a few(I believe all sports are). After all, there can only be one champion per event. These children need to have passion and exercise self-discipline.

I believe gifted(talented) cannot be trained, they can only be born. Only if we, as parents, spot their talents early be it sports or academics, and nurture them, they can develop these potentials fully. I did not push my son when he took up competitive swimming. We let nature takes its course. It is his passion and the friendships he developed with other swimmers that keeps him going.

It is sad to say we do have parents who try to mould their children simply to take advantage of GEP or DSA. These children suffer most.

Post Reply