Spotting talent early

Academic support for Primary 5
piggi
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by piggi » Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:55 pm

kiasulang wrote:For those whose child did not qualify under the primary school phases for Pri.1 admission, your child is still able to go to his/her choice school through other talents, in most cases from Pri.2 - Pri.4. You can check with the choice school, they are able to advise you.

Schools that I know of:

1. Nanyang primary -- swimming
2. ACS -- swimming
3.Catholic High School Primary -- music
4.St. Andrew Junior -- swimming

I believe the list go on. Any one can add?

How about golf? For girls.

luckystar
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by luckystar » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:20 am

badminton -- Tao Nan, Yu neng
Netball -- St Hilda's

i3mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by i3mum » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:34 pm

Hi csc,

Wanted to ask if the boy who got accepted into HPPS:

1) Did he waitlist after he could not get in HPPS after P1 registration?

2) Or did he went to another school, then use gymnastics to get in at later part of P1?

csc wrote:i heard of a case where a child got accepted into HPPS in pri one thru gynmastics. Subsequently he got into SJI thru DSA in gymnastics too. Understand this child started learning the sport in his pre-school days.

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:39

Post by sleepy » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:30 pm

Wow, DSA in primary school?

deardear07
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
Total Likes:2

Re: Spotting talent early

Post by deardear07 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:02 pm

just curious, how does DSA trials for sports work?

do the kids play against each other? like a mini competition? or just test various aspects of the game? those only work for individual games. how about team games?

Zappy
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
Total Likes:18

Post by Zappy » Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:58 pm

deardear07 wrote:just curious, how does DSA trials for sports work?

do the kids play against each other? like a mini competition? or just test various aspects of the game? those only work for individual games. how about team games?
Don't know about the team type, eg soccer.

But for individual sports, they'll do agility and strength exercises. Then do the sports specific skill exercises before getting split up to play games.

Subsequently, the shortlisted ones may get called back on another day to play against each other and I assume that's to get some sort of ranking for the school's CO/ WL decision.

If number of candidates small or they already can see the ranking based on their coaches experience, then may not have day 2.

deardear07
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
Total Likes:2

Post by deardear07 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:12 pm

Zappy wrote:
deardear07 wrote:just curious, how does DSA trials for sports work?

Don't know about the team type, eg soccer.

But for individual sports, they'll do agility and strength exercises. Then do the sports specific skill exercises before getting split up to play games.

Subsequently, the shortlisted ones may get called back on another day to play against each other and I assume that's to get some sort of ranking for the school's CO/ WL decision.

If number of candidates small or they already can see the ranking based on their coaches experience, then may not have day 2.

hmm thanks! and this is already a round of sieving through since the popular schs will wana attract medalists only...

Zappy
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
Total Likes:18

Post by Zappy » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:15 pm

The whole DSA process is about sieving mah.
I think they will also shortlist based on the achievements, documents and results submitted then call for trials.