Preparing kids for P5 in 2011

Academic support for Primary 5

Preparing kids for P5 in 2011

Postby tinkfirst » Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:56 pm

Hi to all parents!

How are you preparing your kids for P5 in 2011? Heard that there is a big leap from P4 to P5. Any ideas/tips you can share in this thread with us here?
My DD is approaching P5 next year too. She is offered HMT next year and my concern is whether she is able to handle this extra subject and adjusting to other subjects simultaneously. Anyone can share how to prepare, time mgt? Tks.

tinkfirst
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: Preparing kids for P5 in 2011

Postby livewith_vanilla » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:41 pm

tinkfirst wrote:Hi to all parents!

How are you preparing your kids for P5 in 2011? Heard that there is a big leap from P4 to P5. Any ideas/tips you can share in this thread with us here?
My DD is approaching P5 next year too. She is offered HMT next year and my concern is whether she is able to handle this extra subject and adjusting to other subjects simultaneously. Anyone can share how to prepare, time mgt? Tks.

Hello ! I'm not a parent, but a student who just graduated from primary school.
Well, in p5, the workload would be heavier, and the topics just get harder.
For HMT, I would say since your DD is offered it, it should mean your DD's MT is not weak, and I would say your DD should take up HMT,especially if your DD MT is chinese, as it would serve a great help if your DD is applying for SAP schools after PSLE.
For my school, we take higher chinese during school hours and not after school. We don't take the normal chinese, just higher chinese.
Of course, we have to take two chinese/MT papers but I think thats pretty okay.
It would take some time to adjust to P5 since workload is a little heavier, and the goal is adjusted to PSLE.
I would advise your DD to make a timetable and set some time aside for study, some time aside for rest and play.She should also pay attention in class and not fool around, especially in subjects like science and maths (its usually the killer in PSLE).But she shouldn't neglect her other two subjects.
One point is that the human brain is not able to absorb everything in one go, thus studying for long periods of time is not advisable. She should take a short break after 30-45 min of studying to allow the brain to absorb the information. Also, she should not be burning the midnight oil when the exam period is near . Sleep is important and the lack of sleep would cause the child to be unable to focus and absorb in class.
Although in P5 it is not really a necessity to make notes, I find that making notes is very convenient because in the event you can't find your textbooks on the day of your exam and you want to do a last minute recap, the notes would definitely come in handy.
Also these notes can also serve as a quick readup for your DD to recap what was taught in her p5 year when she is in p6.
Another point is that if your DD do not understand what is taught, or is unclear of any questions, she should ask her teachers to prevent confusion.

I hope my post helps in some way, good luck to your DD. If i can think of any other tips, I will let you know. ^^

livewith_vanilla
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby janet88 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:55 pm

Hi livewith_vanilla,
Thank you for your valuable post. As a parent, I am worried for my son going to P5 next year.

Can you advise what titles of guide books as well as assessment books are useful for P5 ? Like English & Science for eg. Your input is valuable.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

P5 in 2011

Postby tinkfirst » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:38 pm

Thank you livewith_vanilla for sharing your valuable and vivid info. I guess it all boils down to discipline with the student him/herself. Pls continue to share any important info in this thread whenever u r free.

tinkfirst
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: P5 in 2011

Postby KoalaMummy » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:01 am

Hi, my ds is also in P5 next year. Really hope to get much advise here.

My ds did not do well for his MT (Chinese) and really worried for him. :(

KoalaMummy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby janet88 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:14 am

KoalaMummy wrote:Hi, my ds is also in P5 next year. Really hope to get much advise here.

My son flunked his Paper 2...did badly in 短文填空 and open-ended comprehension...according to his teacher, the former shows we are not conversant in Mandarin.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby KoalaMummy » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:42 pm

janet_lee88 wrote:
KoalaMummy wrote:Hi, my ds is also in P5 next year. Really hope to get much advise here.

My son flunked his Paper 2...did badly in 短文填空 and open-ended comprehension...according to his teacher, the former shows we are not conversant in Mandarin.

well, looks like we are in the same shoe...so, what do you plan to do for him then?? actually they still have 2 more years to catch up for PSLE... not sure if it's enough time...

KoalaMummy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby MoonFlower » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:49 am

P5 is a busy yr for my ds. We hardly able to do much assessment book as every day he comes back with quite a lot of homework from school. (*therefore don't buy too many assessment books as school will be giving lots of worksheets to them.) I'm now clearing those assessment books with him and luckily I didn't buy too many last Dec. However to save $ and also due to PSLE preparation, I brought the P6 assessment books except for chin. For maths I just brought the P5 Andrew er problem sums. There are these 2 sec one science guide books mentioned by James at last yr, I brought them find them useful too. There are clear experiment illustrations but for the notes inside I only highlighted some to my ds not all as they are suppose to be for sec 1. However, sci is a general knowledge subject so it's no harm knowing a bit more.

MoonFlower
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Leanne » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:10 am

May I know what are the sec one sci book?thanks

rgds
Leanne

MoonFlower wrote:P5 is a busy yr for my ds. We hardly able to do much assessment book as every day he comes back with quite a lot of homework from school. (*therefore don't buy too many assessment books as school will be giving lots of worksheets to them.) I'm now clearing those assessment books with him and luckily I didn't buy too many last Dec. However to save $ and also due to PSLE preparation, I brought the P6 assessment books except for chin. For maths I just brought the P5 Andrew er problem sums. There are these 2 sec one science guide books mentioned by James at last yr, I brought them find them useful too. There are clear experiment illustrations but for the notes inside I only highlighted some to my ds not all as they are suppose to be for sec 1. However, sci is a general knowledge subject so it's no harm knowing a bit more.

Leanne
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby Keroppi30 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:56 am

Hi my dd will be in P5 next year... she will be doing HCL but she wasn't from 深广in P3 & 4 i'm not sure if she will be able to cope with HCL :|

Keroppi30
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Next

Return to Primary 5