Debate Help!!!!

Academic support for Primary 5

Debate Help!!!!

Postby Flipper123 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:17 pm

Dear Parents,

I am a P5 boy in the school debate team. It is my first time but these debate questions are stressing me out. :?

Do primary kids students need tuition? Why?

Thank you in advance!
Last edited by Flipper123 on Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flipper123
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby tankee » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:53 pm

:congrats:

are you in the proposition or opposition team?

tankee
Site Admin

Proposition

Postby Flipper123 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:13 pm

tankee wrote::congrats:

are you in the proposition or opposition team?

I do not know yet but we are asked to do both just in case
Thanks in Advance! :thankyou:

Flipper123
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Debate Help!!!!

Postby livewith_vanilla » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:00 pm

Flipper123 wrote:Dear Parents,

I am a P5 boy in the school debate team. It is my first time but these debate questions are stressing me out. :?

Thank you in advance!

Proposition:

Yes, primary kids students do need tuition. Singapore's education system is known to be world class. Many schools are pushing students to score well and bring glory to the school. Parents are having higher expectations of their kids. Although 6 hours a day are spent in school for lessons, the hours are just not enough to cover the syllabus in depth, yet the questions that are set just get harder.Thus, to meet teachers' and parents' expectations, primary kids students either sought tuition on their own or are forced by their parents. As primary 6 students sit for their PSLE, they are reminded time to time that the competition they are facing are not only their schoolmates, but the whole country. Neighbourhood schools are competiting against popular and top performing schools like Henry Park Primary and Rosyth Primary. With the Gifted Education Program system in place, Singaporean kids have to compete more with their peers for a place in top secondary schools such as Raffles Institution and Nanyang Girls. Precious seats are taken up through the Direct-School Admission Exercise, thus leaving limited seats for pupils who have not been successful, or have not taken part in the Direct-School Admission Exercise. Also, the high standards of Singapore Mathematics, and the difficulty of the questions set in examinations have driven many kids to seek tuition, even if they scored full marks for the paper, as they are unable to cope with the high level of difficulty found in the maths paper. Many students are unable to grasp the foundations of many mathematical topics, thus finding upper primary maths hard. As the curriculum time in school is limited, many teachers just teach the idea of the topic, very often not going in depth as there is just simply no time. Yet, in the Primary School Leaving Examinations, many questions involve understanding the topic in depth. As such, primary kids students have resorted to going for tuition, hoping that the tuition teacher would be able to explain the topic in depth, so as to prepare them for the Primary School Leaving Examinations that would determine the secondary schools, and very often, the junior colleges they go to.

I know its kinda crappy, but yeah. Thats sorta my idea of what I would say at the debate.

livewith_vanilla
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Flipper123 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:09 pm

What would you say if this is Opposition?

Flipper123
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby tankee » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:46 pm

Opposition

Singapore's education system is known to be world class. Complete with world class syllabus, curriculum, principals, teachers and campus. Since education is already world class, there is no need to waste time and money for senseless tuition, often conducted by not properly trained & tested tutors, with exception of few of course.

(** no offense intended to all tutors, just a debate :oops: :wink: )

tankee
Site Admin

Postby wkong » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:29 pm

Flipper123 wrote:Dear Parents,

Thank you in advance!

Hi Flipper123,

Are you taking part the Inter-School Debating Championship 2011 in this coming March 18 @ Raffles Girls Sec Sch?

Cheers,
wkong

wkong
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Flipper123 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:09 pm

Yes, but why do you ask? wkong?
:?

thanks to everybody who helped me :thankyou: :thankyou:

Flipper123
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Flipper123 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:14 pm

It is official. I am the proposition in this debate compotition
Last edited by Flipper123 on Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flipper123
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby wkong » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:32 pm

Flipper123 wrote:Yes, but why do you ask? wkong?
:?

thanks to everybody who helped me :thankyou: :thankyou:

Cos that is one of the topic for that debate competition :lol:

wkong
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Next

Return to Primary 5