I'm at a loss with my p5 son's Chinese

Academic support for Primary 5

I'm at a loss with my p5 son's Chinese

Postby mistychances » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:11 pm

My p5 son is weak in Chinese. It is always so challenging to teach him.
I have made all kinds of effort like flash cards, asking him to copy ci hui with meanings and zao ju. I'll also make him read his text several times n explain to him the meanings again and again. I'll let him do assessments. Even with the same questions, again n again. During sch holidays especially, I'll get him to read chinese story books.

He just cannot remember even words that I've gone thru with him hundred of times. He can remember all the soccer players' names overnite, a whole song in one day, so I really am at a loss of how to help him improve. And I''ll lose my cool when he can't even read simple words or forgets the meanings of words that we've gone thru again n again.

Really want to give up! ;(

mistychances
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby janet88 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:40 am

I'm losing (actually lost) my cool with my p1 gal's Chinese. Done several assessment books and revised with flash cards but to no avail...very tiring and stressed too. She refuses to pronounce the hanyu pinyin and unconfident to write the correct tone. In the meantime, just have to keep on revising with her w/out textbook as she has memorized format and pic inside.
For eg 猪,洗衣,杯 always seeing all these but cannot remember.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mistychances » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:53 pm

hi janet

exactly! my biggest headache now is - he's already in p5 with more & more new difficult words. At the rate he's learning his CL, I really don't know how he's going to do for his PSLE nxt yr. Words taught in P3 & P4, which I've gone thru several times with him, he still does not remember.

I know if he makes effort, he'll be able to remember seeing how he can remember things he likes without much effort BUT the problem is he simply refuses to store those CHINESE words in his memory.

My brother advised me to be patient and to simply go thru with him again & again till he remembers. But I'm already spending almost everyday with him on CL, neglecting the other 3 subjs. :(
:cry:

mistychances
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby sakura_2009 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:58 pm

mistychances wrote:hi janet

exactly! my biggest headache now is - he's already in p5 with more & more new difficult words. At the rate he's learning his CL, I really don't know how he's going to do for his PSLE nxt yr. Words taught in P3 & P4, which I've gone thru several times with him, he still does not remember.

I know if he makes effort, he'll be able to remember seeing how he can remember things he likes without much effort BUT the problem is he simply refuses to store those CHINESE words in his memory.

My brother advised me to be patient and to simply go thru with him again & again till he remembers. But I'm already spending almost everyday with him on CL, neglecting the other 3 subjs. :(

I can understand exactly how you felt. I'm having the same problems with my DS now (he's in P4). Honestly up till today I'm still puzzled as to why he simply, like you said, cannot 'STORE' those Chinese words in his memory. There's absolutely nothing wrong with DS's memory - he can memorize all those chinese words, if he wants too, seriously. But that is always a day prior to this spelling or test, and afterthat, he just 'conveniently' erases them from his memory. I asked him whether he really detests the subject so much that he just refuses to remember what he has learnt. He swears to me that no matter how much he tries to retain what he has learnt, he always forgets most of the characters within the next few days... :|

Many have said that this was likely to be due to lack of 'exposure' of the language in the family. Well, both me and DH speaks Mandarin half the time, we watched Channel U & Channel 8 programs 90% of the time, and his grandma used to watch Channel U's Korean/HK dramas (dubbed in Mandarin) when she was looking after him before he goes to P1.

He has Chinese enrichment classes since P1 and it was only recently that I pull him out because instead of progressing, his results just gets worse by the years...

I have purchased (over the years) countless Chinese assessment books, diligently spending time with him every 25-30 mins each nite, going through the exercises. I was really happy when he's able to do the exercises, with just a couple of mistakes here and there. However, when the real test/exam comes, he can make mistakes where previously he got it right in the assessment books. When I asked him whether it was just a pure careless mistake, he blinked at me and asked: Have I learn this before?? I really do not know whether to laugh or cry :cry:

sakura_2009
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby mistychances » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:50 pm

hi sakura_2009

When I asked him whether it was just a pure careless mistake, he blinked at me and asked: Have I learn this before?? I really do not know whether to laugh or cry

this is exactly the same as my son. He'll give me his most innocent look and he'll say " i have learnt this before meh? "

At that very moment, I'll snapped :stupid: & i''ll go into lecture & rage mode :x

My brother (his son scores straight As for his A levels), told me his son was like that too when he was small. What he did was just to ask him to repeat & repeat till he got it. So he always advises me must be more patient with my son. If he makes mistake or forgets, just let him repeat.

I definitely have to work on my patience. Meantime I hope there's some method that I can use to get DS to drill those chinese into his storage tank ;)

mistychances
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby sakura_2009 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:19 pm

mistychances wrote:hi sakura_2009

When I asked him whether it was just a pure careless mistake, he blinked at me and asked: Have I learn this before?? I really do not know whether to laugh or cry

this is exactly the same as my son. He'll give me his most innocent look and he'll say " i have learnt this before meh? "

At that very moment, I'll snapped :stupid: & i''ll go into lecture & rage mode :x

My brother (his son scores straight As for his A levels), told me his son was like that too when he was small. What he did was just to ask him to repeat & repeat till he got it. So he always advises me must be more patient with my son. If he makes mistake or forgets, just let him repeat.

I definitely have to work on my patience. Meantime I hope there's some method that I can use to get DS to drill those chinese into his storage tank ;)

Yar boy, me too - on the part about patience. When he keeps forgetting words that he has learnt umpteen times before, I will simply snapped and scold him that each time I teach him Chinese, he caused me to be '火冒三仗'. Sometimes I see 'tears' in his eyes (heartache lar) and he will just say he will try his very best to remember what he has learnt. Sigh.... :(

sakura_2009
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby janet88 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:33 pm

Hi mummies,
With my older boy in p5, at least he is willing to try even though he dislikes Chinese. But my younger one in p1 is literally testing my patience. Tutor can't get her to read the hanyu pinyin and every week I am driven up the wall with her 听写. I am working on my patience with her.

Older one is actually more impt bcos he is in p5 and results aren't fantastic. What a headache :cry: Every night hubby and I take 1 kid to coach...lucky only 2.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mistychances » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:58 pm

hi Janet

Every night hubby and I take 1 kid to coach...

at least your hubby is helping ;) mine? actually instigating them to play :x

i think it was my mistake when #1 was younger. Back then, I always think that the school will take care of things coz govt promoted 少读多学.
So when #1 was in preschool, it never came across my mind to actually teach him chinese.

Now I really regretted. So with my #2 i keep pushing myself that I must teach him. But coz of time spent with #1, I hv limited time to teach #2 & #2 is another tough boy to handle.

Every now & then, i'll wish for a miracle that when i wake up in the morning, both my boys, especially the one in p5 will be super in Chinese :wink:

does any mother out there who knows of any 仙丹 :pray:

mistychances
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby janet88 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:09 pm

Hi mistychances,
My sickening hubby is a TV addict. Just last night, I told him not to turn it on as son was distracted. Know what he told me, 'their Chinese is not good, watching Chinese drama will help'. :x
Other than short comedy on tue channel 5, I have to control. My gal is very weak in Chinese and hates it actually.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Picolo » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:11 pm

sakura_2009 wrote:
mistychances wrote:hi janet

I can understand exactly how you felt. I'm having the same problems with my DS now (he's in P4). Honestly up till today I'm still puzzled as to why he simply, like you said, cannot 'STORE' those Chinese words in his memory. There's absolutely nothing wrong with DS's memory - he can memorize all those chinese words, if he wants too, seriously. But that is always a day prior to this spelling or test, and afterthat, he just 'conveniently' erases them from his memory. I asked him whether he really detests the subject so much that he just refuses to remember what he has learnt. He swears to me that no matter how much he tries to retain what he has learnt, he always forgets most of the characters within the next few days... :|

Many have said that this was likely to be due to lack of 'exposure' of the language in the family. Well, both me and DH speaks Mandarin half the time, we watched Channel U & Channel 8 programs 90% of the time, and his grandma used to watch Channel U's Korean/HK dramas (dubbed in Mandarin) when she was looking after him before he goes to P1.

He has Chinese enrichment classes since P1 and it was only recently that I pull him out because instead of progressing, his results just gets worse by the years...

I have purchased (over the years) countless Chinese assessment books, diligently spending time with him every 25-30 mins each nite, going through the exercises. I was really happy when he's able to do the exercises, with just a couple of mistakes here and there. However, when the real test/exam comes, he can make mistakes where previously he got it right in the assessment books. When I asked him whether it was just a pure careless mistake, he blinked at me and asked: Have I learn this before?? I really do not know whether to laugh or cry :cry:

Hi all!

All these sound oh so familiar. My ds2 is just the same, cannot store Chinese characters in his brain, even for some simple, very commonly used words like 会, 云, and 公 when he was in Pri 1. Now in P3, he has problem with words such as 对 and 过. All these despite me reading quite a lot of Chinese books to all my children. My other 2 kids can learn very fast, Chinese word recognition included, so hubby and I for a long time wondered if this child has a lower IQ or what? At the beginning of this year, we sent him to DAS for a Dyslexia test for which he was tested not dyslexic. But one key finding was especially useful to us, as he was found to have a below average ability in pictorial recognition, when his IQ based on UK norm is more than 130. No wonder he always has problems with Chinese character recognition :stupid: :stupid: as Chinese words are derived from 象形, a form of pictorial image and not phonetical.

To improve his character recognition, I read non HYPY picture books (绘本) with him everyday, and make flashcards for him. I also started a notebook (we call it 登山秘籍 -- 把字一个一个征服) to record all the confusing words to him, eg. 考,孝 and 老. I intend to revise all the flashcards I make with him every night until they are all committed to his long-term memory. I tell myself not to be too kan cheong with him (hard to cos he's in a SAP school), still have 3 more years to go. Hope it works! :pray:

Picolo
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Next

Return to Primary 5