Need Adv should P5 transfer sch ?

Academic support for Primary 5

Need Adv should P5 transfer sch ?

Postby Sharmaine06 » Tue May 03, 2011 9:18 am

Hi Parents,

I need some advices from the experience parents here especially from those parents that children has produced good PSLE results. My son is in the top primary school but sad to say his result is within the 20 - 40 percentile of the school, which means he is within the last 3 classes out of 13 classes ( 4 classes are GEP).

Due to this excellence performance in CCA a neigbourhood primary school has approached us to conider allowing him to transfer school. This school is the national champion in that CCA. They offer to look after his overall welfare in term of both acaademic & CCA. They will put him in the best class & with special attention from the teacher.

My concern is, he is already primary 5, should I allow him to transfer school? What are the considerations.

Thank you in advance for all your advice.

Sharmaine06
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Need Adv should P5 transfer sch ?

Postby janet88 » Tue May 03, 2011 9:27 am

Sharmaine06 wrote:Hi Parents,
I need some advices from the experience parents here especially from those parents that children has produced good PSLE results. My son is in the top primary school but sad to say his result is within the 20 - 40 percentile of the school, which means he is within the last 3 classes out of 13 classes ( 4 classes are GEP).

Due to this excellence performance in CCA a neigbourhood primary school has approached us to conider allowing him to transfer school. This school is the national champion in that CCA. They offer to look after his overall welfare in term of both acaademic & CCA. They will put him in the best class & with special attention from the teacher.

My concern is, he is already primary 5, should I allow him to transfer school? What are the considerations.

Hi Sharmaine,
If the school has an affiliated secondary school, I would advise you to consider transferring him. Transferring him to another school at this point has pros and cons.
My son is not doing very well in his school too...like a small fish in ocean but could well be a big fish in pond if I transfer him to a neighbourhood school. But I don't think he would want a transfer even if he is a top class. His self-esteem would be affected if I really transfer him. Maybe you would like to discuss with your son and ask him what he thinks. Ultimately he is the one going to school and will have a better feel.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby teh_oh » Tue May 03, 2011 9:36 am

Hi,
The neighbourhood school being 'national champion', I assume that they are good in sports. If so, and that your child is keen to get into Sports School and if the current top school is unable to provide the same amount of support for him to excel in that sport, you may want to consider transferring if you are going that route (sports school; you should probably check things out with sports school to see what are the options before deciding).
2 cents.

teh_oh
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Sharmaine06 » Tue May 03, 2011 9:45 am

Thanks for all the advice. All are welcome as there are really a lot to consider. Sport school is not a good choice for this sport. The neighbourhood school does not have affilated sec sch but I can get him into an average sec sch which is good at this sport through DSA as I already have offer. My concern is will he be able to cope with the extra trainings & competitions? My target to him is at least to have 220 in the t-score.

Thanks

Sharmaine06
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby IJJ » Tue May 03, 2011 9:49 am

Sharmaine06 wrote:Hi Parents,

If you take away the 4 GEP classes, is he above school avg? If so, he should still be good. As for the neighbourhood school, what is the main reason they approach you? To rep the school in the CCA and excel? If there is so, will they push him more for the CCA performance rather than his academic needs?

There are other considerations :

1. Affliliation to a secondary school
2. Distance from home
3. Culture of the neighbourhood school
4. Your ds's feelings and thots

IJJ
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Sharmaine06 » Tue May 03, 2011 10:04 am

Thanks Blackbelt

These points are very good. I will ask the other school this questions. As for my DS he is very interested in the offer as they can provide him with better trainings & more exposures.

Sharmaine06
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby ridcully » Tue May 03, 2011 10:52 am

Sharmaine06

I'm quite curious to read that schools go in for 'poaching'. How did the neighbourhood school know about your boy's CCA? Is your boy a national champion? And why would they want to recruit him half-way through P5? After all, they will only get the benefit of his abilities for a year.

How do you have a DSA offer at this stage?

Is it so easy to transfer from one school to another? Would a CCA reason be substantive enough for MOE's approval?

Anyway, my two cents worth:

There is a saying that all change is psychological damage even if it is made with the best of intentions. At this stage, moving your boy would be a major upheaval on several fronts (familiarity with school and teachers, friends, routines, expectations) and would surely impact negatively on his academic performance - unless your boy is presently thoroughly demoralised at his existing school in which case a move might be the right thing to do.

Also, I consider the principal reason for schooling is academics. Although I wholeheartedly support widening the curriculum and developing the whole child, I think from a pragmatic point of view in the Singaporean context that you should focus on the academic needs of your boy, not a CCA.

Just my opinion.
R

ridcully
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Sharmaine06 » Tue May 03, 2011 1:26 pm

Hi OrangeBelt,

Thanks for the advice and I do not want to go into details. The reason that we are in a dilemma was we want the best for him so the thoughts of having delicated teachers in a good class giving him attention has motivated us to consider. As he is now in a good school but the last few classes, the attention & the forcus are not really to our expectation. There are relieve teachers come & go, one teacher take up 3 subjects & went on medical leaves 3 days straight, home work done but not collected & etc...

Anyway thanks for the advice, really appreciated, we are still considering & have not made the decision yet.

Sharmaine06
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby QuiteKSMum » Tue May 03, 2011 4:19 pm

Hi Sharmaine06,

Sorry if I sound blunt, IMO, this neighborhood sch prob wants your DS primarily for his sports achievements. So, I'm not sure if you were to t'fer him, how long does the sch expect your son to "serve" them? If even in P6, he's still expected to take part in competitions, then I'm afraid that he might be too stretched...even if the sch does give him better teachers etc...physically he might be over-stretched...

My son did his PSLE in a neighborhood sch last yr - even amongst the top 3 classes, the standard varied q.widely. Only in the BEST class, the lowest T-score is ard. 234 ( I think, if not min 230), but the kids in that class are really stretched to the max - as these are the kids who are depended upon to bring glory to the sch. If your son has to spend much more of his time ( compared to his Best class classmates) outside class (due his sport domain), then his self esteem etc might take a bashing, IMO. The level of competition amongst kids in the BEST class is also v.intense, even in a neighborhood sch.

Unless you expect the Ts in this neighborhood sch to be able to give your son an almost one to one kind of attention, then I think it's better to depend on yourself - by providing him with the necc academic support ( outsource maybe) for PSLE than put your faith in the sch. Just my honest 2 cts, since I have no experience with sports domain kind of child...

All the best... :celebrate:

P.S. My nick is QuiteKSMum, not Greenbelt... :D

QuiteKSMum
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby 3kiddos » Tue May 03, 2011 5:16 pm

What does your son want to do? I always believe that when a child is committed and has a positive mindset, that's the first step and I'll be supportive. From what I've seen, the 'bottom' kids in top schools do have self-esteem issues as all the attn is focused on the gifted kids, top kids etc. A friend was just sharing that her girls' P4 class (in a branded school) was told that they would be having a combined camp with ALL the other P4 classes and one child went "now the lousy ones also joining us". woah.

Just to share that as a parent with 2 primary schoolers who are both doing competitive sports and training 3 - 4 times a week each, hubby and I understand the time commitment but we are supportive nonetheless as we see education as more than just academics. And because our kids WANT to train and achieve a sense of satisfaction from their small acheivements in the court/pool (and my kids are not even in the league that your son seems to be in - they wont be poached. hehe), they make sure they complete their HW, assessments as their mummy requires. It does mean less time for computer games/tv and idling.

Obviously, your ds is talented. If you can see him going further in his sport, then quality training (which often, the 'winning' schools in that particular sport provide) is a great benefit. So too is training together with peers who are of his level in the sport. And I'm guessing he does want to 'win' too right? Which is why he wants to join this school? How is his current school's standard in the sport that he's in?

I would also consider the exact neighbourhood school you're thinking of and the quality of that school. Even among the neighbourhood schools, the quality of their teachers and students do vary a lot. Perhaps yours is among the better ones. In that case, the decision is easier but still not easy. Good luck!

3kiddos
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Next

Return to Primary 5