P5 Science & Maths a big change

Academic support for Primary 5

P5 Science & Maths a big change

Postby kyp71 » Thu May 19, 2011 11:13 pm

My Ds in P5 one of SAP school. I am beginning to feel stress after knowing that her Maths & Science drop by almost 20-30%. Very stressful. Anyone got good Science teacher or x-teacher or know of any good centre to master Science kindly pm me. I will greatly appreciate.

Not sure if parents do realize now the school teach little but students are expected to know many more and knowing how to apply it. Some questions were not even thought in school and I wonder why was it set in the SA1. Is it to stress the student ? The aim of our education system seem to have change. One of the reason for this is because many experience teachers are either their own bosses of enrichment centre or are engaged by reputable enrichment and cause high turnover of teachers in school. Sigh !

kyp71
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: P5 Science & Maths a big change

Postby lizawa » Fri May 20, 2011 5:59 am

Hi kyp1,

It is common that the grades will drop when the child moves from P4 - P5. The level of difficulty increases by a fair bit. It is important to analyse why he did not do well. Was it a diffiult paper ? What is the average mark for his class and his standard ? Which section did he fumble on ? What topics was he not understanding ?

If we understand his weak points, we know where to help him improve. You still have time to help him improve for SA2 and next year's PSLE. All the best !

lizawa
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby janet88 » Fri May 20, 2011 9:21 am

lizawa wrote:It is common that the grades will drop when the child moves from P4 - P5. The level of difficulty increases by a fair bit. It is important to analyse why he did not do well. Was it a diffiult paper ? What is the average mark for his class and his standard ? Which section did he fumble on ? What topics was he not understanding ?

If we understand his weak points, we know where to help him improve. You still have time to help him improve for SA2 and next year's PSLE. All the best !

It's common for grades to drop when child moves up...but the level of difficulty at P5 is much tougher as compared to the first jump at P3.
I am now using class average as a gauge to find out where my son is. However, Math is different from P4 and requires deeper and more understanding of concepts, as well as different methods of solving...definitely not a 1-size-fits-all approach like in our time. Algebra alone cannot work.
Mummies here have given me a deeper understanding of Maths :snuggles: :thankyou:

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

RE: P5 Science & Maths a big change

Postby kyp71 » Fri May 20, 2011 10:03 am

Thks mummies for the advise. But if I take this as a guage and by PSLE will she end up score a C in Science ? For Maths I m not so worry cos I can coach myself but for Science I have lost my knowledge and I do not know how to answer most of the question myself when I glance thru the paper. Any good teacher, x-school teacher can pm me I hope to engage your service. Staying at West Location.

kyp71
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: RE: P5 Science & Maths a big change

Postby kay22 » Fri May 20, 2011 10:33 am

kyp71 wrote:Thks mummies for the advise. But if I take this as a guage and by PSLE will she end up score a C in Science ? For Maths I m not so worry cos I can coach myself but for Science I have lost my knowledge and I do not know how to answer most of the question myself when I glance thru the paper. Any good teacher, x-school teacher can pm me I hope to engage your service. Staying at West Location.

I totally agree... Science is not a subject whereby you can "practice and be perfect" like Maths. I notice that even if the child memorise everything by hard and if they do not know how to apply and answer correctly using the "technical terms", they will not be able to score too! As for Maths, really must practice and most important is to identify the correct method to solve the questions. Sometimes I pity the kids, to solve 18 questions (Booklet B) within 1 hour 40 mins... I myself sometimes took at least 30 mins to solve a question, I just wonder how these kids do it...

My DD also just gotten back all her SA1 results... can see a big drop in Maths and Science as compared to P4...I am also looking for a Science tuition place, if anyone has any recommendation, feel free to voice out.... :?:

kay22
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby kyp71 » Fri May 20, 2011 11:20 am

Hi KAY22, I know of a X-RI man teacher but mine is dau unless can form 2-3 kids together will be better. He is one of the very popular RI teacher. He can travel to west side. R u staying at West location ? Mayb we can form a small group. Your kid from which school ?

kyp71
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby kay22 » Fri May 20, 2011 11:39 am

kyp71 wrote:Hi KAY22, I know of a X-RI man teacher but mine is dau unless can form 2-3 kids together will be better. He is one of the very popular RI teacher. He can travel to west side. R u staying at West location ? Mayb we can form a small group. Your kid from which school ?

Hi hi... are you refering to Science tuition? I am staying at Woodlands. How about you? I dont mind to travel a bit if the teacher is good! My girl is from Woodlands Primary school (neighbourhood school).

kay22
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby lizawa » Fri May 20, 2011 12:16 pm

kyp71 wrote:Thks mummies for the advise. But if I take this as a guage and by PSLE will she end up score a C in Science ? For Maths I m not so worry cos I can coach myself but for Science I have lost my knowledge and I do not know how to answer most of the question myself when I glance thru the paper. Any good teacher, x-school teacher can pm me I hope to engage your service. Staying at West Location.

I suggest you also get a good Science guidebook to help him. I used the Marshall Cavendish Guide book to teach my dd last year.

The thematic maps are very good to help them see how all the topics are linked together.

For science, i think it's important to know what are the keywords to use in answering the open ended questions. When you look at a question, you must roughly know what concept this question is testing you on.
The MCQs carry a lot of weightage, so must also try to get as few of the MCQs wrong as possible. These are my "strategies" for my daughter last year. She was scoring low to mid 80s in school tests and exams but manage A* in PSLE.

lizawa
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby kyp71 » Mon May 23, 2011 5:53 pm

Any good science lady teacher around west coast area. Please pm me. Thks

kyp71
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby janet88 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:17 am

lizawa wrote:
kyp71 wrote: For Maths I m not so worry cos I can coach myself but for Science I have lost my knowledge and I do not know how to answer most of the question myself when I glance thru the paper.

I suggest you also get a good Science guidebook to help him. I used the Marshall Cavendish Guide book to teach my dd last year.

The thematic maps are very good to help them see how all the topics are linked together.

For science, i think it's important to know what are the keywords to use in answering the open ended questions. When you look at a question, you must roughly know what concept this question is testing you on.
The MCQs carry a lot of weightage, so must also try to get as few of the MCQs wrong as possible. These are my "strategies" for my daughter last year. She was scoring low to mid 80s in school tests and exams but manage A* in PSLE.

At P5, keywords are crucial to score that mark allocated to question at Section B. MCQs carry 60 marks and I've always told my son to try scoring high.
Can you pls advise me how you taught your daughter to score high marks for Science ? It's my son's 'strongest' subject. His class is very strong in Science. For SA1, he did above average for P5 level, but below average for his class. Honestly, I enjoy Science now bcos it's challenging.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Primary 5