P5 Science & Maths a big change

Academic support for Primary 5
Bernard_T
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: P5 Science & Maths a big change

Post by Bernard_T » Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:05 pm

nonKiasu wrote:Hi. My ds are finishing their P4 this year. Reading this thread is scary. Is it really a must to have tuition in both Math and Sci in P5?
A lot of parents were giving feedback about the jump from p4 to p5 in Mathematics and Science. Science doesn't differ much in terms of topics but the student is required to explain his/her answers to a certain extent and it can be practiced through various revision questions and not just regurgitate. Please also understand English plays a part here too when one is trying to express opinions.

As for Mathematics, the topics differ to a certain extent from the previous years but can be taught, understood and relate to each other once the student grasped the foundational concepts. And practice is the magic word here. However, I prefer to prepare my students to be exam smart and understand what the question wants before even attempting to answer the question.

Hope it helps.

ky
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Post by ky » Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:40 pm

Hi.

Can anyone advise me on the online math website which school
Students joined for the math practice and challenge? My boy said p5 paper 1 for math is about speed. So he wants to practice for paper 1.

Blue Pearl
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
Total Likes:1

Post by Blue Pearl » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:55 pm

thks for the sharing. learnt alot.

Beautyful Minds
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by Beautyful Minds » Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:29 am

ky wrote:Hi.

Students joined for the math practice and challenge? My boy said p5 paper 1 for math is about speed. So he wants to practice for paper 1.

Dear Parents, we are pleased to announce the launch of our new initiative “Question Of The Day” which will help you to facilitate fun and quick bite-sized learning for your child. Every day, a relevant question for your child's level of study will be sent to your email inbox, which you and your child can answer directly through the email. These questions are selected from our database of 450,000 attempts by students on Geniebook (www.geniebookapp.com). Sign up at http://learn.beautyful.ly/qotd/ now to start receiving your first #QOTD on 10th June 2015!

Swift Formula
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:2

Post by Swift Formula » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:46 am

ky wrote:Hi.

Multiplication table and division table?
Alot depend on how instantaneous he/she can write down answers without calculator or working.
Analyze question and knowledge of which topic the question falls under.
How fast is he/she in solving when applying known formula/method?

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:136

Post by janet88 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:20 pm

Actually I find that math is a bigger change and jump compared to science at P5. For science if the child can understand the basic concepts and have a strong foundation, p5 syllabus is not too difficult. My daughter has to remember how to answer open ended questions in a systematic manner.

P5 math requires mental ability and accuracy to answer the question first and then adding time frame to do the questions with speed and accuracy.
it is challenging for those who are not in high ability group.

Swift Formula
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:2

Post by Swift Formula » Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:41 pm

That's why it is important to have strong foundations in Primary 1 to Primary 4.
Having good results (90+) constantly through P1 to P4 further boost their confidence level and interest for Maths.

Time-management is normally not a concern for Maths in Primary School.

TinkerScience
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by TinkerScience » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:07 pm

Dear parents,

We would like to introduce a new learning tool for your child as he or she prepares for the coming PSLE this year.

TinkerScience is the provider of a new e-learning science portal that is created by highly qualified ex-MOE science teachers for students learning Science based on the Singapore Primary Science Syllabus. It comprises of 4 different learning packages and serves as a great learning platform that will complement the classroom teaching and learning. It is also in line with the initiative to nurture our students into self-directed learners in the 21st century classroom.

This portal marks tests with full detailed explanations provided, and generates detailed test reports automatically, freeing teachers or parents of any marking or progress tracking load. It also allows parents to monitor their child's progress closely without having to go through the teacher. Past mistakes made in each test will also be stored in the student's account, allowing them to retrieve for revision again nearer to their exams.

These unique features of our portal that differentiates us from the existing online learning tools available for Primary Science teaching and learning!

To request for a trial account, please email us at tinkerscience.subscribe@gmail.com

To subscribe, please go to http://www.tinkerscience.sg

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:136

Post by janet88 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:24 pm

Swift Formula wrote:That's why it is important to have strong foundations in Primary 1 to Primary 4.
Having good results (90+) constantly through P1 to P4 further boost their confidence level and interest for Maths.

Time-management is normally not a concern for Maths in Primary School.
having a good foundation for math is crucial before p5...because come p5, students' results are expected to drop because there is paper 1 and paper 2. paper 1 is a 50 minute paper with no calculators allowed while paper 2 consists of 18 problem sums which are not easy at all.

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:224

Post by phtthp » Fri May 05, 2017 5:38 am

in P5, student want to beat up her parents

http://www.students.org.sg/scs/image/PD ... ildren.pdf

(not sure where to put, under P5)