Assessment Books for P5

Academic support for Primary 5

Assessment Books for P5

Postby Cypress » Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:59 am

Hi All

I have a son who will be P5 in 2012. Need to seek advice on which are the suitable assessment books to get for
English
Higher Chinese
Maths
Science
Oral for both languages

I only intend to get 1-2 books for each subject only as I understand that P5 workload will be high in preparation of PSLE in 2012.

Any good advice?

Thank You :salute:

Cypress
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Assessment Books for P5

Postby myhomerecipe » Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:45 pm

Hi,

My friend's tutor gave her a list of math assessment books to buy in preparation for PSLE. I used it as a guide for my P5 son too.

Past years papers
Andrew Er math
Onsponge
Fabian Ng
Raffles tough math

myhomerecipe
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby quirkymum » Thu May 24, 2012 9:18 pm

I find past year papers one of the best ways to practise especially for science because the science assessment books out there are not very good- questions not that difficult.

quirkymum
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby speedmaths.com » Fri May 25, 2012 4:13 am

myhomerecipe wrote:Hi,

My friend's tutor gave her a list of math assessment books to buy in preparation for PSLE. I used it as a guide for my P5 son too.

Raffles tough math

Hi,

You may get the Raffles Tough Maths books (Volume 6A and 6B) at Popular Book stores.

Also, Popular is having a Book Fair at S'pore Expo Hall 6A now, from 24 to 28 May 2102.

speedmaths.com

speedmaths.com
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jedamum » Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:02 pm

My boy's teacher may be getting onsponge for them to do in class in p5.
Should we get another copy to do at home? Ifnot, can any one recommend a similar type math assessment? Ie notes in front followed by heuristics problem sums. Thanks.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby qms » Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:45 am

jedamum wrote:My boy's teacher may be getting onsponge for them to do in class in p5.
Should we get another copy to do at home?

Since your boy will be doing OnSponge in class, why do you think it is necessary to purchase another copy so that he can do at home? :scratchhead:

qms
ClassMonitor
ClassMonitor

Postby jedamum » Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:54 am

Qms
We heard that top three classes will be purchasing onsponge in bulk for class use. But we don't know how intensive these usage will be. We don't want a case of time loss if at the end of the day usage in class is low, as my boy rely on home and self study for this subject. He wanted to buy an additional copy to keep at home for use, but I rather get another publisher with similar format.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby jedamum » Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:55 am

Qms
We heard that top three classes will be purchasing onsponge in bulk for class use. But we don't know how intensive these usage will be. We don't want a case of time loss if at the end of the day usage in class is low, as my boy rely on home and self study for this subject. He wanted to buy an additional copy to keep at home for use, but I rather get another publisher with similar format.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby qms » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:54 am

jedamum wrote:Qms

I see. Is this the first time the school will be using OnSponge in class? Maybe can check with seniors how frequently this book was used (provided the school used it before).

qms
ClassMonitor
ClassMonitor

Postby jedamum » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:27 am

Thanks qms.
Just received school memo. This year is the first year they using onsponge. Based on last two weeks , son has not much time left for additional math assessment as homework load increased and more stay backs. We are switching to exam papers usage for now and monitor his semester one performance to see if we need to get another copy of heuristic math book for June holidays.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Next

Return to Primary 5