Scientific Calculators for P5

Academic support for Primary 5

Scientific Calculators for P5

Postby Stunning Sunrise » Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:35 am

Hi, need advice on scientific calculators. I mistakenly purchased Casio Fx-95 ES plus instead of Casio Fx-95 SG plus. Can this be used in primary school levels?

Stunning Sunrise
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Scientific Calculators for P5

Postby mrsoon » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:02 pm

I think not. Look at this website for the approved list of calculators,

http://www.seab.gov.sg/calculatorList/G ... lators.pdf

Maybe you can go back to the shop to change.

mrsoon
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Stunning Sunrise » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:15 am

mrsoon wrote:I think not. Look at this website for the approved list of calculators,

http://www.seab.gov.sg/calculatorList/G ... lators.pdf

Maybe you can go back to the shop to change.

Thanks! Bought Fx 96 Sg plus now that the Fx 95 Sg is no longer available.

Stunning Sunrise
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby the little ones » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:41 pm

buy from school bookshop safest

the little ones
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby wsp » Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:08 pm

I have some concerns on the scientific calculators for the primary school.
Just early this year I bought a Casio fx-96SG PLUS for my DD for her P5, and now, less than 1 year, the symbols/markings on many of the buttons has "disappear". She claimed most of her classmates has this same problem also. :scared: :scared:

[IMG]http://i59.tinypic.com/sc3xna.jpg[/IMG]

I have another calculator fx-350MS which I myself have been using for may years ( lost count how long ago ) and the print on the button is as good as new. I suggest to her to use this fx-350ms instead but she claimed most of her classmates are using the fx-96SG PLUS and the teacher sometimes will demonstrate some operation functions using this calculator, hence she worried she may not know how to do the similar operation using the fx-350ms.

My question is ....
1) Does any other parents here faced the same situation as me on the calculator button ? :shrug:
2) How do you solve the problem besides buying a new calculator for replacement ? Is there any special ink / pen to write back the symbols ? :shrug:
3) If this is a common issue, I am surprise with the "quality" and the SEAB has approved the use of this calculator. :?

wsp
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby ChiefKiasu » Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:19 pm

wsp wrote:I have another calculator fx-350MS which I myself have been using for may years ( lost count how long ago ) and the print on the button is as good as new. I suggest to her to use this fx-350ms instead but she claimed most of her classmates are using the fx-96SG PLUS and the teacher sometimes will demonstrate some operation functions using this calculator, hence she worried she may not know how to do the similar operation using the fx-350ms.

My question is ....
1) Does any other parents here faced the same situation as me on the calculator button ? :shrug:
2) How do you solve the problem besides buying a new calculator for replacement ? Is there any special ink / pen to write back the symbols ? :shrug:
3) If this is a common issue, I am surprise with the "quality" and the SEAB has approved the use of this calculator. :?

Yes. Most schools are using the FX-95/96SG. It is better for your daughter to switch if that's what the teacher is using. Otherwise, she can use the FX-350MS and just ask the teacher to demo how to use do the same functions on her calculator. As it is on the approved list, this should be a fair request.

I can understand your attachment to the calculator (I still have the calculator I used from Sec 3, the FX-602P), but if the symbols on the keys are lost, it is probably more economical just to buy a new calculator than to find ways to restore the old calculator. Your child should be able to use that calculator for a LONG time.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby bebebub » Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:27 pm

My dd was one of the unlucky ones who had the problem. We took it back to the Casio authorized repair centre and they replaced it with a new one, but the staff said he cannot guarantee that the same problem will not occur.

Upon receiving the replacement, I apply a coating of transparent nail lacquer on all the buttons. It's been a year, so far so good. Dd said her friends who had the same problem either buy a new one or just live with the problem :laugh:

bebebub
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ChiefKiasu » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:02 pm

bebebub wrote:My dd was one of the unlucky ones who had the problem. We took it back to the Casio authorized repair centre and they replaced it with a new one, but the staff said he cannot guarantee that the same problem will not occur.

Upon receiving the replacement, I apply a coating of transparent nail lacquer on all the buttons. It's been a year, so far so good. Dd said her friends who had the same problem either buy a new one or just live with the problem :laugh:

They don't make the calculators like they used to anymore. In the old days, the letters are embossed into the buttons, so they are impossible to rub off, unless you wear out the button itself, which is very unlikely. These days, the letters are all painted on. Most likely to be a cost-reduction measure, and a tactic to get consumers to buy more calculators.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby wsp » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:11 am

[quote="ChiefKiasu"][quote="bebebub"]My dd was one of the unlucky ones who had the problem. We took it back to the Casio authorized repair centre and they replaced it with a new one, but the staff said he cannot guarantee that the same problem will not occur.

Upon receiving the replacement, I apply a coating of transparent nail lacquer on all the buttons. It's been a year, so far so good. Dd said her friends who had the same problem either buy a new one or just live with the problem :laugh:[/quote]

They don't make the calculators like they used to anymore. In the old days, the letters are embossed into the buttons, so they are impossible to rub off, unless you wear out the button itself, which is very unlikely. These days, the letters are all painted on. Most likely to be a cost-reduction measure, and a tactic to get consumers to buy more calculators.[/quote]

Bebebub,

Your suggestion on the nail lacquer is a good idea, I believe at least it will helps to prolong the period before the symbols disappear away again.

ChiefKiasu,

Based on the rate the numbers/symbols on the button is disappearing, I hope I don't need to buy a new calculator for my DD every year. Unfortunately, sometimes she claimed she make a mistake in using the calculator because she accidentally key in the wrong button when she "guess" the button wrongly. :shrug:

wsp
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby slmkhoo » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:38 am

I checked with my daughter (in Sec 3) and she said that her calculator (95SG) is fine, but some of her friends' are having the problem with numbers wearing off. Probably those kids do more Maths practice than my daughter! Also, my daughter's calculator is fairly 'new' as we bought it in her P5 year but she didn't use it much until her P6 year, and after that she hardly used it until mid-Sec2 as we were mostly overseas.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Primary 5