Academic support for Primary 5
slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:227

Re: Scientific Calculators for P5

Post by slmkhoo » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:48 am

nansk wrote:
slmkhoo wrote:There is a list of calculators approved for PSLE use. You have to use one of them as no others will be allowed to be brought into exams. The calculators can be used up to O levels. Not sure about colour options. The list:
https://www.seab.gov.sg/content/calcula ... lators.pdf
Thank you. I guess I will have to check each model to see which is available in pink or blue (or anything but black). :sweat:
Actually, the Casio FX96 is grey, if that helps! Maybe she can paste a sticker on it to make it more colourful? But you may need to check what the exam rules are about embellishments on calculators (eg. they may not allow anything with words).

nansk
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:9

Post by nansk » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:02 pm

slmkhoo wrote: Actually, the Casio FX96 is grey, if that helps! Maybe she can paste a sticker on it to make it more colourful? But you may need to check what the exam rules are about embellishments on calculators (eg. they may not allow anything with words).
Thank you.
I will show her the Casio FX96 tomorrow.
I did suggest that she can decorate her calculator like this one, but she wants a pretty one to begin with. :shrug:
Out of the recommended list of calculators, I found that the Texas Instruments TI 30XIIS is available in pink, green and other colours on Amazon. I need to check if those colourful options are available in Singapore (or if the colourful US options are allowed to be used here.)

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by slmkhoo » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:16 am

nansk wrote:
slmkhoo wrote: Actually, the Casio FX96 is grey, if that helps! Maybe she can paste a sticker on it to make it more colourful? But you may need to check what the exam rules are about embellishments on calculators (eg. they may not allow anything with words).
Thank you.
I will show her the Casio FX96 tomorrow.
I did suggest that she can decorate her calculator like this one, but she wants a pretty one to begin with. :shrug:
Out of the recommended list of calculators, I found that the Texas Instruments TI 30XIIS is available in pink, green and other colours on Amazon. I need to check if those colourful options are available in Singapore (or if the colourful US options are allowed to be used here.)
I don't really see why a calculator has to be pretty, but I guess it's important to some. You should also check if the school requires all students to use the same model - if the teacher is showing the kids how to do something but she is using a different model, it may be difficult to keep up.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:136

Post by janet88 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:31 am

it's best to buy the calculator recommended by the school. this way, the students will be able to learn together with the classmates.
the calculator will accompany him/her to secondary school.

Swift Formula
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:2

Post by Swift Formula » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:21 am

I do not think Primary School Maths question requires scientific calculators. Just a simple one will do, calculating complex division with remainders as answer mainly. Student should have no difficulty calculating 482 x 639 for example.

Sin Cos Tan Ln Log e are not used in Primary Schools.

I do rmb myself forgetting calculators yet ace the papers.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by slmkhoo » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:30 am

Swift Formula wrote:I do not think Primary School Maths question requires scientific calculators. Just a simple one will do, calculating complex division with remainders as answer mainly. Student should have no difficulty calculating 482 x 639 for example.

Sin Cos Tan Ln Log e are not used in Primary Schools.

I do rmb myself forgetting calculators yet ace the papers.
They don't require scientific calculators in Pr school, but the calculators approved by SEAB for use in PSLE are also used in O level exams. Anyway, this means that the calculator bought in P5 can be used for several years.

lexis
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
Total Likes:18

Post by lexis » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:54 am

it is actually part of the p5 curriculum that they learn to use these prescribed calculators - it helps when you are doing fractions etc. There is probably no "choice" as such when your school asks you to purchase the calculator - you just have to go with the one they recommend, as it will make things a whole lot easier for your child.

Swift Formula
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Post by Swift Formula » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:55 am

slmkhoo wrote: They don't require scientific calculators in Pr school, but the calculators approved by SEAB for use in PSLE are also used in O level exams. Anyway, this means that the calculator bought in P5 can be used for several years.
Agreed. Save $.
If u want increase speed, go on long terms without calculators. The more he/she calculates *in his/her mind*, the faster and more used to it. (in mind = no writing)

There's no need to panic during PSLE even if calculator ran out of battery. Most calculation can be solved in the mind or workings.

Swift Formula
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Post by Swift Formula » Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:06 pm

lexis wrote:it is actually part of the p5 curriculum that they learn to use these prescribed calculators - it helps when you are doing fractions etc. There is probably no "choice" as such when your school asks you to purchase the calculator - you just have to go with the one they recommend, as it will make things a whole lot easier for your child.
Haven't seen a tough qn that requires even tutors to use calculators for fractions in PSLE.
If school requires it, no choice. But please advise students not to use calculators. They depend on calculators too much, it isnt helping their check for careless mistakes. Adults have messages that contains typo.
Seen students calculating 22 x 9 = 189. Multiplication by even number gives odd number.

Swift Formula
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Post by Swift Formula » Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:18 pm

slmkhoo wrote: They don't require scientific calculators in Pr school, but the calculators approved by SEAB for use in PSLE are also used in O level exams. Anyway, this means that the calculator bought in P5 can be used for several years.
Agreed. Save $.
If u want increase speed, go on long terms without calculators. The more he/she calculates *in his/her mind*, the faster and more used to it. (in mind = no writing)

There's no need to panic during PSLE even if calculator ran out of battery. Most calculation can be solved in the mind or workings.