Change in PSLE Maths syllabus in 2014???

Academic support for Primary 5

Change in PSLE Maths syllabus in 2014???

Postby chyn3471 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:18 am

Hi all,

Heard from a friend who's kid is in P5 of Maris Stella Pri Sch.

He received a memo from school to say that cohort will have their Maths Syllabus changed, and this will affect their 2014 PSLE...

Anyone can verify/comment?

Thanks!

chyn3471
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Change in PSLE Maths syllabus in 2014???

Postby jedamum » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:47 am

Did she say what are the changes??

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby kwcllf » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:13 am

chyn3471 wrote:Hi all,

He received a memo from school to say that cohort will have their Maths Syllabus changed, and this will affect their 2014 PSLE...

Thanks!

I am not surprised and it may have subtlely started. At last year's PSLE math exam, I think it is not a "killer" paper, as compared to some previous years, and hence, seen quite a number of DC got A*.

I also heard from my DS tutor, who knew someone in MOE, that there would be a VERY VERY DRASTIC review of PSLE. But no details known yet.

kwcllf
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby Peony » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:25 am

kwcllf wrote:

Thanks!

I am not surprised and it may have subtlely started. At last year's PSLE math exam, I think it is not a "killer" paper, as compared to some previous years, and hence, seen quite a number of DC got A*.

I also heard from my DS tutor, who knew someone in MOE, that there would be a VERY VERY DRASTIC review of PSLE. But no details known yet.

Good that they are reviewing. Last year's paper was a clear example of how far and wide the divide has become. While many here (this forum) have mentioned that it was easy and manageable, I've heard from others who claimed that it was super tough - of kids who cried and those who could not complete the paper.

I've also heard from secondary school teachers of how they have to "unteach" the damage done at primary school maths.

They assured me that secondary school maths will not confuse a child the way primary school maths does. Where questions are so ambigious that the difference between right and wrong sometimes lies in language interpretation.

Peony
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby chyn3471 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:33 am

Hi Jedamum,

There were no details given to me so not so sure... so am just curious if any other schools have given out the similiar memo?

chyn3471
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby Laura02 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:09 pm

My dc's in P5 this yr too. I haven't got any memos fr sch abt change of syllabus.

Laura02
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby jedamum » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:13 pm

Actually change no change,the school will teach accordingly. No? Anyway,myhusband will be attending a math workshep organised by school tomorrow.if have change,they may announce tomorrow maybe?I will ask him to Q&A tomorrow.....dunno he will agree a not.:sweat:

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby newuser » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:25 pm

no news from teacher on this matter.

newuser
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby mrsoon » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:03 pm

Peony wrote:
kwcllf wrote:

I've also heard from secondary school teachers of how they have to "unteach" the damage done at primary school maths.

They assured me that secondary school maths will not confuse a child the way primary school maths does. Where questions are so ambigious that the difference between right and wrong sometimes lies in language interpretation.

I wonder what sort of damage the secondary school teachers are referring to. Maths is Maths. Yes it can be easy and it can be difficult. If a child finds it difficult it might put him/her off Maths but not ‘damage’ a child. Or are the secondary school teachers saying that the primary school teachers are not teaching Maths properly. Of course there are good and bad teachers both in primary and secondary schools.
By the way, I’m not a primary school teacher. I’m a parent whose children have gone through the primary and secondary Maths and I tutor both primary and secondary Maths.

mrsoon
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby nansk » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:24 pm

mrsoon wrote:
chyn3471 wrote:...I've also heard from secondary school teachers of how they have to "unteach" the damage done at primary school maths.

I wonder what sort of damage the secondary school teachers are referring to....

I am also wondering the same thing. What sort of damage were you referring to?

nansk
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Next

Return to Primary 5