Handwriting speed

Academic support for Primary 5

Handwriting speed

Postby EnL » Wed May 08, 2013 11:03 pm

My P5 boy writes very slowly. He struggles to complete his homework and is always the last to finish copying work in class. While his handwriting is atrocious, I am more worried that the lack of speed will affect his academic performance. Appreciate any advice / recommendation for eg. medical assessment / therapist. Thank you.

EnL
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: Handwriting speed

Postby SignorWinter » Wed May 08, 2013 11:07 pm

I used one of those plastic grippers from Popular that could be attached to stationary, which supposedly helps one improve his/her handwriting. After a month, I quit it. Might help though.

SignorWinter
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby EnL » Wed May 08, 2013 11:21 pm

Did u use the plastic thingy to improve penmanship or speed? U mentioned u ditched it after a month, was it not useful? Thanks.

EnL
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby SignorWinter » Wed May 08, 2013 11:25 pm

EnL wrote:Did u use the plastic thingy to improve penmanship or speed? U mentioned u ditched it after a month, was it not useful? Thanks.

Penmanship. For speed, I'm really not sure how to help. I used to time myself doing math papers, giving myself a shorter time each round, in order to increase my speed. But that was more on the mental side, and less of writing.

I ditched it, because truth be told, I was already comfortable with my original grip. Eventually my writing did improve, albeit only in Sec school. Gl.

SignorWinter
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby ngl2010 » Wed May 08, 2013 11:41 pm

EnL wrote:My P5 boy writes very slowly. He struggles to complete his homework and is always the last to finish copying work in class. While his handwriting is atrocious, I am more worried that the lack of speed will affect his academic performance. Appreciate any advice / recommendation for eg. medical assessment / therapist. Thank you.

Have you checked whether he holds the pen/pencil correctly? The way he holds the pen/pencil affects writing speed.

ngl2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Eliora » Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:43 pm

You can practise writing with him. :)

Eliora
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Eliora » Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:44 pm

You can practise writing with him. :)