Higher Chinese in P5 - To opt or not

Academic support for Primary 5

Higher Chinese in P5 - To opt or not

Postby Hifive » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:02 am

Dear Parents

My boy will be going to P5 next yr. He is in neighbourhood primary school and higher Chinese will become 1 subject from P5 if he opt to take it.

I am not sure if he should go for it. I understood from the school that pupils would gain priority entry to a SAP seconday school (additional bonus point to the PSLE aggregate) if he takes Higher Chinese as a subject.

Other than the priority entry point to the SAP secondary school, any other advantages ?

What about the syllabus - is it a different way of teaching from the normal Chinese, like more into creative writing, etc?

Pls advise.

Hifive
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Full.Cream » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:17 am

I think u need HCL to knock 2 pts off your 'O' agg to reach those JCs with 3-point req. This is one consideration, I guess.
Last edited by Full.Cream on Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Full.Cream
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby caroline3sg » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:24 am

Hello
If your child's results can go to SAP, then opt for higher chinese.

syllabus wise, normal & higher chinese is the same. higher chinese compre answering techniques slightly different from normal chinese.

FYI, my girl's normal chinese had better marks than higher chinese when in P5. But her higher chinese became better than normal chinese when in P6.

caroline3sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mummyjoyce » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:53 am

It depends on indiviual, my older kid did well in both Normal and Higher Chinese Paper. I am asking her to continue taking them when she goes to Sec 1 next year and the reason is that she can skip Chinese Lesson during JC time - this will allow her more time to prepare for her A level.

The 2-3 points do not amke a different unless your kid needs it for SAP school.

My younger kid is not doing well in Chinese and average for the other subjects and I will be stopping HC for her next year (P6) so that she can concentrate on other subjects for PSLE. The downside is that she needs to pass her Chinese in JC1 next time.

(is it providedthat the educatin systems is still the same years!)

mummyjoyce
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby all.in.one » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:14 am

Hi,

Do keep in mind that if you opt to take up HCL, you will need to sit for
both CL and HCL papers for school exams and PSLE. :sweat:

all.in.one
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby all.in.one » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:19 am

The syllabus for CL and HCL are not exactly the same.
The text may be the same, but there are "extras" in the
HCL textbook if you look closely.
Also need to know how to write more words.

In addition, in the HCL compo paper, you need to write
more words.

So alot more effort required. Do enquire with the MT
teacher and consider seriously before making decision. :sweat:

all.in.one
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby keroppi » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:21 am

I guess your kid will be exposed to more Chinese terms in HC. For my DD, she has to attend both NC and HC lessons and sit for both exams but I know this is not true for all schools (at least for not my DS school).

Also, because she has to attend both NC and HC lessons, most of the HC lessons were conducted as supplementary lessons, outside of curriculum time (stay back after school - twice a week).

It really depends on your kid, my DD did well for both NC and HC ... but DS :cry:

keroppi
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Hifive » Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:21 pm

Dear Parents

Thank you for your advice. I'll have to think carefully because I must also take my boy's interest into consideration. I think he doesn't mind doing the subject if we as parents ask him to do so but I can feel that he doesn't really like it.

Mummyjoyce, you mean we can pull out from HC if the children don't do well in P5 ? So for those who take Higher Chinese in Secondary school, they will not have to sit for Chinese in JC ? Pls advise.

Thanks

Hifive
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby lizawa » Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:21 pm

If your child is able to, and has the interest, then just go for HCL. More exposure helps him / her to do better for Normal Chinese as well. At least, he / she will get to write more compo than Normal Chinese students, so such practice will help in the long run.

BTW, you would have heard from many people that there is already a great jump from P4 - P5, so he / she probably can't feel the difference for Chinese anyway.

lizawa
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby all.in.one » Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:56 pm

Yes, it's true. The compo writing technique taught in
much much more detail in HCL than CL.
Also gives very extensive pointers for HCL Oral exam.
All these can be use in the CL exam too.
So technically, can score higher in CL.

The only consideration is whether your child is above average
in CL already. Otherwise, it will be a big struggle.
Not forgetting the load for Math and Science.

:nailbite:

all.in.one
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Next

Return to Primary 5