Higher Chinese in P5 - To opt or not

Academic support for Primary 5
MrsKiasu
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:50

Re: Higher Chinese in P5 - To opt or not

Post by MrsKiasu » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:44 am

lee_yl wrote:MKS, no problem lah. We also took HCL (at TH) although my children did CL in school, all the way until end of P4.

When DD1 started P5, after a long discussion with DH, we decided to switch to doing CL. Reason being CL is the one used in the computation of t-score. Taking up HCL in school is with the hope that with more time exposed to Chinese will aid DD1 to do better in Chinese. Another reason is that she is unlikely to opt for SAP sec school.

TBH, only last year then we started focusing on Chinese as we believe that a solid foundation in English is more important as a poor command of English would even impact Maths and Science.
Lee yl, is your dd1 taking HCL in school now? I think so yeah.. How is she coping with sudden chg of tuition for HCL to NC with add HCL in school?

Yes Eng, thks for the reminder :sweat:

lee_yl
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:118

Post by lee_yl » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:43 am

Yes, DD1 is doing HCL in school.

Btw, my P5 DD2 is also doing HCL (she does not take CL papers in school). We also placed her in TH normal CL class.

My children all along find TH easy** and wanted to quit since P1. But HCL taught in school is very hard. We do HCL with DD1 at home. No pressure to excel in HCL, so she actually enjoys it and doing well. I have also signed her up for zuo wen class recently. DD2 not yet as she has a flair with languages, can save some money.

MKS, if your DD1 does not complain about her current center and enjoys her lessons there, plus she's motivated to do well in Chinese, then there is no need to worry (at least for the time being).

**For our school, students are sorted into Enrichment, Core and Bridging classes based on their Chinese results, 6 months after entering P1. Majority of the students falls under Core. DD1 has been with the school's Enrichment(深广班) since P1, thus, finds TH easy. It has nothing to do with TH standard being easy. TH follows school syllables closely, which is what I like.

mylulaoshi
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:1

Post by mylulaoshi » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:25 am

Only if your child is confident, then one should op for HCL.
Definition of confident: Can cope with other subjects, Chinese strong enough. Interest in performing better with extra lesson, exam and homework.

No doubt it is universally true that a child enters a better class/ Sec sch and expands vocab when having HCL. Focus should always be on Normal Chinese which accounts for PSLE aggregate afterall. Higher Chinese is a side-dish. 可有可无. 无需大费周章,拼个死去活来。Just sit for the exam with best effort and that's it.

Our lessons cover HCL words in our lesson syllabus, but drills Normal Chinese exam format. We only conduct HCL courses during holidays. Dare not advertise here :censored: *奉公守法* Pls visit my official thread for details.

booksnbooks
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by booksnbooks » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:06 pm

Hi! May I seek your opinion what is a good or comfortable score in P5 SA2 HCL to determine if a student should continue with HCL in P6?

lee_yl
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by lee_yl » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:29 am

booksnbooks wrote:Hi! May I seek your opinion what is a good or comfortable score in P5 SA2 HCL to determine if a student should continue with HCL in P6?
I don’t know what is considered a good or comfortable score to continue HCL. I only :pray: that my DD1 won’t be asked to leave HCL.

We don’t have tuition for DD1’s HCL and we only touch on it when we have the time. Our main focus is to do well in CL. And doing HCL allows DD1 to have more exposure to Chinese which will indirectly improve her CL standard. DD1’s HCL is really so-so but as long as her school allows her to continue, we just persevere with it.

As her school teacher said, don’t worry if P5 HCL results are not ideal as majority are like that, by P6, most should be able to get a hang of it.

mylulaoshi
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:1

Post by mylulaoshi » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:16 pm

booksnbooks wrote:Hi! May I seek your opinion what is a good or comfortable score in P5 SA2 HCL to determine if a student should continue with HCL in P6?
Roughly 'Merit' for HCL and basic 'A' for CL.

booksnbooks
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by booksnbooks » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:16 pm

Thanks all for the reply.

Does anyone know or remember what is the results range for pass, merit and distinction? Is merit above 60 or 65? I think distinction is above 85?

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:222

Post by phtthp » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:32 pm

Your school website would have provided u the criteria, in order to do Higher Chinese.

Different schools : different criteria set

Example

Rgps : set minimum 85 marks, to pursue Higher Chinese.

One CHIJ school : set minimum 75 marks, as the criteria.

One SAP school : no / zero criteria set.

So, it all depends on your own school. Can ask your Chinese HOD

booksnbooks
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by booksnbooks » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:54 pm

Thank you phtthp. My son is taking HCL now in P5 but I am not sure if he should continue in P6. As compare to standard Chinese, I realise that the marking for composition is more stringent and comprehension is also very tough for HCL. It is so difficult to do well, I feel.

I got the below information from MOE website. Does anyone knows how to translate this into a score? How many marks does a student need to get for HCL paper in order to be awarded the +3, +2 or +1?

Pupils in the top 30 per cent of the cohort who take Higher Chinese at the PSLE will be given bonus points for admission to SAP schools

• Distinction: 3
• Merit: 2
• Pass: 1

lee_yl
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by lee_yl » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:16 pm

For HCL :

50-64 Pass
65-79 Merit
Above 80 Distinction

I agree that HCL composition marking is very stringent and comprehension is a lot tougher than CL.