Higher Chinese in P5 - To opt or not

Academic support for Primary 5
mylulaoshi
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:1

Re: Higher Chinese in P5 - To opt or not

Post by mylulaoshi » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:24 am

sean wife wrote:If taking HCL is for getting exposure and getting the additional practice in school (since kids don’t like to practice chinese at home), that means actually don’t need to study specifically for HCL right?
Yes you're right. If a child is strong in Normal Chinese, just pay attention in class, do their best during exams good enough. But formats and techniques for exam is very different from Normal Chinese. If the school trains the students, that should suffice. Or else, need to pick it up from tutors. That's why I don't conduct regular HCL lessons, only Holiday HCL courses to brush up.

kchairenn
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by kchairenn » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:17 pm

mylulaoshi wrote:
sean wife wrote:If taking HCL is for getting exposure and getting the additional practice in school (since kids don’t like to practice chinese at home), that means actually don’t need to study specifically for HCL right?
Yes you're right. If a child is strong in Normal Chinese, just pay attention in class, do their best during exams good enough. But formats and techniques for exam is very different from Normal Chinese. If the school trains the students, that should suffice. Or else, need to pick it up from tutors. That's why I don't conduct regular HCL lessons, only Holiday HCL courses to brush up.
Taking HCL allows the children to gain more exposure to the language and culture, but not to get extra practice just because the children don't like to practice Chinese at home.
The school does train the children the necessary knowledge and skills to manage the HCL curriculum and exams, but the children in the first place need to have a certain level of language proficiency, interest, and attitude towards learning.
It is difficult to study specifically for HCL. If the children do not like to practice Chinese by reading newspapers or books frequently, it will be difficult for them to achieve desirable results.

iMeme
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by iMeme » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:00 am

DC heard the following:
- most HCL students score less than 60
- it is common for HCL students to fail their papers in sch
- some HCL students do badly even in normal CL exam

Wonder if this is really the "norm" or its just DC school?

MrsKiasu
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:50

Post by MrsKiasu » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:34 am

Tan sg
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by Tan sg » Tue May 21, 2019 9:58 am

Higher Chinese Language (HCL) is an optional Subject in PSLE and "O" Levels.HCL only report a grade in your certificate which helps those children who apply to SAP school. The grade will be added to the children's T-score.

https://mrtansg.com/what-if-im-take-hig ... psle-2019/

Tan sg
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by Tan sg » Tue May 21, 2019 10:09 am

iMeme wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:00 am
DC heard the following:

HCL and CL are not on the same level yet a lot of parents think otherwise, they need different skills to do it. CL need a skillset to score, HCL need another skillset.

Paper 1
HCL is not the same level as Chinese due to the different way of questions asked.
HCL Compo: theme compo or complete the compo
CL: Picture compo or theme compo

Paper2
HCL: about 7 questions on higher order thinking questions.
CL: about 3 question on higher order thinking questions.

Serendipity
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:4

Post by Serendipity » Tue May 21, 2019 10:13 am

iMeme wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:00 am
DC heard the following:

Don't think this applies to all students... and not all schools. There's prob a range of performance in every school.

yorkie
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by yorkie » Tue May 21, 2019 10:43 am

My child is doing p5 hcl. After just 4 months of hcl exposure, I feel only those with higher capability of understanding moral values n sensitive to feelings could perform well. Not forgetting language ability of cos.

dannyc
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by dannyc » Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:11 am

I also had the same question when my daughter reaches P5. My wife wanted to have her take higher Chinese but I am afraid that this might be too much for her young age. A co-worker suggests that we should check Xin Zhong Wen in Great World City because they have Chinese tutorial offers that would cater to our child's needs. The price we pay is reasonable because we saw her improvement and she was able to cope with her Higher Chinese. XZW is a big help and I think it would also work for other parents here.

PlayfulFairy
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Post by PlayfulFairy » Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:31 am

Hi, I heard there are changes to whether HCL grades can be used to add 1/2 points to PSLE aggregate... anyone can verify this?

Thanks!