Anyone has kid that are p5 in 2010?

Academic support for Primary 5

Anyone has kid that are p5 in 2010?

Postby Lynn2 » Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:12 pm

Hello all

Just wonder how your prepare your child for pri five?

Its gonna be a big lept from p4.

Lynn2
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Re: Anyone has kid that are p5 in 2010?

Postby edanson » Sat Dec 26, 2009 1:21 pm

Lynn2 wrote:Hello all

Yes, you are absolutely correct - it is a big 'jump'. Especially the maths. Depending on which school your child is from, the 20% to 30% section C will be increased to 50 % (word problems). Besides, there is the intro on the usage of calculator which they will be using till their big exam - PSLE.

Gradually increased the practices on the word problems. Speak to your child and remind him / her about the big change so that he /she will be mentally prepared too.

Hope the above help - just sharing.

edanson
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby karmeleon » Sat Dec 26, 2009 1:47 pm

Lynn2 wrote:Just wonder how your prepare your child for pri five? Its gonna be a big lept from p4.

Me, me... i have a p5 boy next year. Want to start a PSLE 2011 thread? HAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm just going to watch and see. This boy is one of my most challenging. Not so smart, but not too dumb either. Very afraid of hard work. He rather depend on his "talent" than work, so rarely manages to work his potential. It's going to be a very busy year in 2010, so I dare not pile anything on him other than monitor.

karmeleon
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Lynn2 » Sat Dec 26, 2009 2:07 pm

Hello

Thanks for your advice.

I have started preparing the child doing the prob sums.Indeed its challenging...so much processing skills...and its really alot to get use to.

What about other subject?thanks

edanson wrote:
Lynn2 wrote:Hello all

Yes, you are absolutely correct - it is a big 'jump'. Especially the maths. Depending on which school your child is from, the 20% to 30% section C will be increased to 50 % (word problems). Besides, there is the intro on the usage of calculator which they will be using till their big exam - PSLE.

Gradually increased the practices on the word problems. Speak to your child and remind him / her about the big change so that he /she will be mentally prepared too.

Hope the above help - just sharing.

Lynn2
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Best Time To Start Tutoring

Postby Bentan » Sat Dec 26, 2009 3:46 pm

Often I am asked what grade is best to start math tuition for Primary school children. My preference is to start in Primary 5. Primary 1 to 3 is too early for all child. Primary 6 is too late, especially for those not so mathematically inclined.

But if your child is scoring only 70% or below for Math in Primary 4, then Primary 4 is the time to start as your child is probably not mathematically inclined.

For Chinese tuition, it can start as early as Pr 1, especially for non-Chinese-speaking family. Tutors must be able to build interest in the student. Primary school students tend to dislike a subject very quickly. A good tutor would go a long way to help them to learn.

Bentan
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Best Time To Start Tutoring

Postby Lynn2 » Sat Dec 26, 2009 4:09 pm

Thanks.

For what I know, some friends that have got children who scored high 80s for math, dropped as low as 70 plus in pri five.

For chinese, I guess as long as chinese foundation is there, the dropped shouldnt be too drastic like math.

Rgds

Bentan wrote:Often I am asked what grade is best to start math tuition for Primary school children. My preference is to start in Primary 5. Primary 1 to 3 is too early for all child. Primary 6 is too late, especially for those not so mathematically inclined.

But if your child is scoring only 70% or below for Math in Primary 4, then Primary 4 is the time to start as your child is probably not mathematically inclined.

For Chinese tuition, it can start as early as Pr 1, especially for non-Chinese-speaking family. Tutors must be able to build interest in the student. Primary school students tend to dislike a subject very quickly. A good tutor would go a long way to help them to learn.

Lynn2
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby CJS » Sat Dec 26, 2009 4:50 pm

Lynn2, yes, you are right. Many children do well in P4 Maths can suddenly drop their mark very drastically in P5 SA1 exams. My dd is one such case, from 90+ in P4 to 50+ in P5 SA1. It is due to the more challenging nature (time + quality) of the Maths paper. Dun worry too much. As long as the child is understanding the concepts taught by the teacher, it is just a matter of practice to the point that he can finish the paper on time.

CJS
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Emelyn » Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:21 pm

My DS1 will be P5 next year.
Know that there is a big leap from P4 to P5.
Have spoken to him about it. And we are all prepared....
He is strong in Maths and has strong interests in it too.
Let's see how he fare...

Emelyn
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby karmeleon » Sat Dec 26, 2009 6:19 pm

CJS wrote:Lynn2, yes, you are right. Many children do well in P4 Maths can suddenly drop their mark very drastically in P5 SA1 exams. My dd is one such case, from 90+ in P4 to 50+ in P5 SA1. It is due to the more challenging nature (time + quality) of the Maths paper. Dun worry too much. As long as the child is understanding the concepts taught by the teacher, it is just a matter of practice to the point that he can finish the paper on time.

I think it also depends on the school. Some schools start making it more difficult by p3 & p4, so the jump is not so drastic from p4 to p5.

karmeleon
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: Best Time To Start Tutoring

Postby carebear » Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:30 pm

Lynn2 wrote:....For what I know, some friends that have got children who scored high 80s for math, dropped as low as 70 plus in pri five.

Yup, my son used to score 90+ for math in P1-P4.
Then suddenly P5 CA1 scored 78!
We panicked, did lots of math assessments.
Later in the year, gained back momentum, then luckily got A* for math this PSLE.

carebear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Primary 5