Thanks and all the best to you too!
Hi Publica,
Will continue to seek your advice. Ok ?

tisha
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:1

Post by tisha » Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:42 pm

My son will be in P6 next year. He is such a happy-go-lucky type! Which only means that it stresses the parents more. :stupid:
In lower primary he used to do extrememly well, but since P3 his results have been declining :cry:
For the holidays we are doing On-sponge maths(P5) - we recently discovered this series.
He does quite badly in science open-ended, while getting almost full marks in the MCQ, which makes me feel that he has good understanding of the concept, but he is not good at expressing it. Any tips on how to improve this. :?:

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:139

Post by janet88 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:36 pm

tisha wrote:My son will be in P6 next year. He is such a happy-go-lucky type! Which only means that it stresses the parents more. :stupid:
In lower primary he used to do extrememly well, but since P3 his results have been declining :cry:
For the holidays we are doing On-sponge maths(P5) - we recently discovered this series.
He does quite badly in science open-ended, while getting almost full marks in the MCQ, which makes me feel that he has good understanding of the concept, but he is not good at expressing it. Any tips on how to improve this. :?:
My son took quite a few months to adjust to P1...got adjusted in P2. When he was in P3, his results declined till Band 3 :shock: and this continued until he was in P4...picked up again at the end of P4 SA2. Next year P5, I dare not imagine the decline again :?: :?:
He scored full marks for Science MCQ but quite badly for open-ended as teachers want 'PSLE kind of answers'.

sharmila
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by sharmila » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:20 am

Oh wow. The going seems to get tougher and tougher. I got some assessment books for my DS over the weekend. Before that I have to literally touch on his school text book first before I can get him to practise. He was confused when we started the 'Numbers'. Numbers are in millions now. Hence, it really took him some time to understand the place value.

sharmila
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by sharmila » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:27 am

. :pray:
Last edited by sharmila on Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Brenda10
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:3

Post by Brenda10 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:43 am

sharmila wrote:Oh wow. The going seems to get tougher and tougher. I got some assessment books for my DS over the weekend. Before that I have to literally touch on his school text book first before I can get him to practise. He was confused when we started the 'Numbers'. Numbers are in millions now. Hence, it really took him some time to understand the place value.
Most important is to grasp the concepts of fraction, ratio and percentage well.

sharmila
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by sharmila » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:50 am

Hi Brenda

Thanks for your advise. There is alot to cover in a short period of time. Do you touch the sch txt bk first?

Brenda10
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:3

Post by Brenda10 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:55 am

sharmila wrote:Hi Brenda

Thanks for your advise. There is alot to cover in a short period of time. Do you touch the sch txt bk first?
Hi sharmila

Seldom. We just get 1-2 assessment books that are teaching various method and aslo slowly try on pass year CA1 papers. If there is issue then may be refer to the text book for information.

sharmila
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by sharmila » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:08 pm

Brenda10 wrote:

Hi sharmila

Seldom. We just get 1-2 assessment books that are teaching various method and aslo slowly try on pass year CA1 papers. If there is issue then may be refer to the text book for information.

I bought the maths assessment book by Andrew ER. But it doesn't cover the details and steps. Maybe I should try to get the 'step by step' maths.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:139

Post by janet88 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:51 pm

sharmila wrote:
Brenda10 wrote:

Hi sharmila

I bought the maths assessment book by Andrew ER. But it doesn't cover the details and steps. Maybe I should try to get the 'step by step' maths.
'Step by Step' a must every year...as well as 'Score in Math'. Now finishing up P4 Maths 100+ by Henry Lee. Don't know what to expect next year. :?: