Primary 5 in 2015

Academic support for Primary 5

Primary 5 in 2015

Postby doratheexplorer » Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:10 pm

My son has been studying really hard since p1 till now where he is at p4. Despite all the hardwork his grades have consistently been sitting at 70-75 marks range for his math, science, mt and eng. it is not only disheartening for us but it is also breaking my son's confidence that he is capable of doing better. I am not sure if we parents are not teaching him correctly or is it the school marking system of being strict. I am now desperately seeking/ looking for help from a tutor. Someone who can teach him and guide him thru the correct answering techniques esp for science sect b. He is going p5 next year, I have my dd who is equally struggling hard and to add more stress she is entering p3 with science. I would greatly appreciate if anyone could help me recommend a current primary school teacher esp for science or perhaps a very good full time tutor who can inspire, guide and motivate my kids thru this learning journey. Thank you

doratheexplorer
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: Primary 5 in 2015

Postby janet88 » Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:30 pm

doratheexplorer wrote:My son has been studying really hard since p1 till now where he is at p4. Despite all the hardwork his grades have consistently been sitting at 70-75 marks range for his math, science, mt and eng.

getting 70-75 marks for his subjects is considered not bad...furthermore for all 4 subjects.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby cherrygal » Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:34 pm

Hi Dora

You have pm

cherrygal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby kiasu_mummy » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:52 am

I was told we need to be prepared for a drop in grades when transitioning from P4 to P5. My daughter is in P5 this year too.. pretty scary thought!

kiasu_mummy
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby 12mum » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:13 am

I only do chinese and some english. I was flipping thru the higher chinese assessment book for p5 and yes it is more difficult than p4 higher chinese assessment book. Normal Chinese also not easy.

We have yet to start science and math during holidays...let's see what school will be doing and if he can cope.

P5 this year should be quite interesting cos P5 students get to participate in spore's 50th birthday, school overseas trip, adventure camp etc. lots of activities so fun.

Looking forward to the very 1st form teachers meet parents session later this month.

12mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby kiasu_mummy » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:49 am

You are very positive - I like it! Let's journey together.

kiasu_mummy
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby veronica » Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:04 pm

doratheexplorer wrote:My son has been studying really hard since p1 till now where he is at p4. Despite all the hardwork his grades have consistently been sitting at 70-75 marks range for his math, science, mt and eng. it is not only disheartening for us but it is also breaking my son's confidence that he is capable of doing better. I am not sure if we parents are not teaching him correctly or is it the school marking system of being strict. I am now desperately seeking/ looking for help from a tutor. Someone who can teach him and guide him thru the correct answering techniques esp for science sect b. He is going p5 next year, I have my dd who is equally struggling hard and to add more stress she is entering p3 with science. I would greatly appreciate if anyone could help me recommend a current primary school teacher esp for science or perhaps a very good full time tutor who can inspire, guide and motivate my kids thru this learning journey. Thank you

I'm facing the same problem with my daughter. We really put a lot of hard work to understand the basics ..and we study really well before the exams..but she only scores 70-75 in all the subjects.
She is in P5 this year.
Kindly suggest some good assessment books for
1. English
2. Maths
3. Science.

Also, please help to suggest some good tuition centres around sengkang,hougang,buangkok and punggol.

veronica
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby jojoberry » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:35 pm

Do more papers to get more exposure to the different types of questions, and to improve on speed.

Answering technique and reading skills are important.

http://www.java-samples.com/testpapers/

For science - focus on key words for the topics. The key words have to be used in their answers.
--> When reading the question, must be able to identify the topic
--> Should be able to recall the key concepts / key words for the topic
--> Identify correctly what the question is asking for

For Maths, if there are certain types of questions that your DC always don't know how to answer, then figure out how (ask school teacher) and practise the same /similar types of questions until they have both the speed and knowledge.

I find that it is always the answering technique that makes a difference - so you may want to focus on helping your DC understand the question and its requirements. It is a simple idea but many are not able to achieve this sufficiently enough.

I know you may be very nervous since P5 is a critical year laying the foundation for P6 - but I sincerely think that you have to give your child a positive vibe as well, have faith in them, and you may start the year slow, improve slowly but it will surely speed up the improvement when they gain the self confidence that they can do it. This mental obstacle is much more important to overcome.

Obviously nobody wants to leave things to last minute but please also take care of the mental and emotional well being of your DC.

jojoberry
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby janet88 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:01 am

There will be quite a bit of activities for p5s...daughter told me about the camp, national day rehearsal and the vaccination.

P5 is not going to be easy as it is just 1 year before PSLE. English is harder and not so straightforward. Wanted to start p5 science during the holidays but decided to strengthen her lower block instead.

Reluctant to let daughter go for camp as she has never stayed away from home before :cry: then there is vaccination.
In short, it is going to be a year packed with activities.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jojoberry » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:16 am

janet88 wrote:There will be quite a bit of activities for p5s...daughter told me about the camp, national day rehearsal and the vaccination.

P5 is not going to be easy as it is just 1 year before PSLE. English is harder and not so straightforward. Wanted to start p5 science during the holidays but decided to strengthen her lower block instead.

Reluctant to let daughter go for camp as she has never stayed away from home before :cry: then there is vaccination.
In short, it is going to be a year packed with activities.

I think you made a wise choice to strengthen her lower block :)

What are her weak areas for Eng Paper? Comprehension? Cloze?

My students/nieces/nephews tell me every year that their work gets harder - I always ask them "So you think when you get older, you should get simpler and easier questions?" - they get the message.

It's a good opportunity to strengthen your DD's mental resolve/maturity for bigger things to come...like the PSLE. Learning how to plan their time, for play and for revision, is a life long skill. And Staying Positive!

jojoberry
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Next

Return to Primary 5