fr p4 to p5 .. results dropped

Academic support for Primary 5
StillThinking
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:7

Re: fr p4 to p5 .. results dropped

Post by StillThinking » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:35 pm

Erm, the marks for each grade will change in p5, the same grade should be where one is suppose to be, lower is definitely a drop.

StillThinking
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Post by StillThinking » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:46 pm

janet88 wrote:
shinpai wrote:Generally, what is considered a good score in P4 and P5? I assume P5 and P6 should be about the same, should not have drastic change.
My DD is only P4 and her results dropped a lot in SA1 too. The drop in P4 is almost unheard of so I am also very worried.
P4 to p5 is a big gap as there is subject difficulty. Math and science would be more difficult as syllabus is different from lower/mid primary...teachers also mark stricter to give the kids a feel of PSLE standard. If schools set tough papers, kids will find themselves struggling during p5. For p5, on top of having to face upper block science, the students are also tested lower block as well.
Well I think it's just me being odd but I did better in p5 than p4 for math. Well, but then my science dropped like close to 20 marks :siam:

I didn't feel too much of a struggle, but I did have a drop in marks(but it didn't seem to extreme so I was fine with it.) For Science, I felt the formatting of answers was a lot more emphasised than in p3-4. A lot of it was rather wasted since I knew the concepts, but well, could not apply. For those with a huge drop in Science may wanna look in this area.

Surprisingly, my Chinese(and Higher Chinese, which I was surprised I could take. My Chinese was always a high B, that is, before p4 EOY) went from a high B/bare A to a rather high A.

Just my personal case, I know some of my friends had different cases.
My personal conclusion is that (since the marks for each grade have also dropped), as long as it's in the same grade it should be fine.

StillThinking
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Post by StillThinking » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:55 pm

p0o9i8 wrote:HI, my boy is in an avg pri school, avg class, he scored 74.5 overall for his finals.
Chinese 65.5
Maths 73
Eng 84.5
Sci 80
WIth these results he is placed 34/41, this led me to think either the paper is too easy or everyone in class are 75 percentile and above. I am worried with such results, he may struggle with PSLE and go to normal stream.
Thing is, in my era, bottom percentile meant avg scores of 50s to 60s.. nowadays 75 percentil wiill still get you bottom ranks :(
'Avg' pri school is not... not too relevant. The major question is which class he is in, since all schools produce high scorers every single year(you can check the highest for each school...). A student who get 75 for all of his/her subject will estimately get 225, depending on cohort performance. However, do not forget that 200 is actually the average in the whole cohort. So even 225 is above average.

lee_yl
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:137

Post by lee_yl » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:26 am

Having survived the big P4 to P5 jump, this is my conclusion. Yes, in terms of difficulty level, there is definitely a big jump across all subjects. However, if one works hard consistently, then it should be fine. Perhaps, one may see a drop in CA1/SA1 results and that is perfectly normal. Continue to work hard and one will definitely see a recovery for SA2. I notice those who used to score 90s will continue to maintain their results in the 90s range.

For dd1's school, this is the time the girls get to do HCL and yes, the majority finds HCL very tough! But HCL teacher told the class that the majority will eventually get the hang of it and do well next year so don't give up.

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:254

Post by phtthp » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:25 pm

StillThinking wrote:Erm, the marks for each grade will change in p5, the same grade should be where one is suppose to be, lower is definitely a drop.
for Maths : from P4 to P5, usually what are some reasons behind, that caused the drop ?

jkids
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Post by jkids » Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:04 pm

my child did not recover fr sa1, except somehow after changing tution centre, he did better for mother tongue. he did much worse for math and sci. his reasons were, it was difficult. :(

fr sa1 to sa2:
eng, from 67.3 to 67.5
mother tongue, from 58 to 74.8
math, from 89 to 63
sci, from 87 to 70.5

how should i help him?

lee_yl
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by lee_yl » Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:41 pm

jkids wrote:my child did not recover fr sa1, except somehow after changing tution centre, he did better for mother tongue. he did much worse for math and sci. his reasons were, it was difficult. :(

fr sa1 to sa2:
eng, from 67.3 to 67.5
math, from 89 to 63
sci, from 87 to 70.5

how should i help him?
His reason is valid, it is not easy.
If you look at his CLresults, with appropriate help, his results can be improved substantially.

For Maths and Sc, you can help him by identifying which areas he could be having difficulties with. When my dd1 was identified to be weaker in fraction, we did a lot more on fraction.

Btw, did he manage to complete the paper? If not, then he may need to learn to better manage his time in order to answer the questions correct and fast.

For Sc, there are more applications-type of questions as compared to lower primary now so concept must be clearly understood in order to apply the correct scientific principles.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:136

Post by janet88 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:14 am

If the foundation is not strong, this holiday is the time to reinforce.

P5 syllabus is preparation of what to expect in p6.

yl, i sent you a PM, but it's still in my inbox. Thanks for all the help.

lee_yl
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by lee_yl » Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:04 am

Janet, I think there's something wrong with the PM. Please don't mention it. :hugs:

laughingcat
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:19

Post by laughingcat » Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:05 pm

jkids wrote:
fr sa1 to sa2:
Jkids, how your DS score such a big jump in Chinese. Can share?