fr p4 to p5 .. results dropped

Academic support for Primary 5
potter
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: fr p4 to p5 .. results dropped

Post by potter » Thu May 18, 2017 6:29 pm

phtthp wrote: For Higher Chinese (HCL) :-
in P5, school normally conduct Supplementary lessons for HCL after school, on certain weekdays. This will help child in HCL preparation, for PSLE
just this year, my son's sch reduced HCL lesson from 2hr to 1hr. i feel 1hr is too short and really wonder what can the teachers cover in just 1 hr. for p3/p4, I heard HCL is only 45min... :sweat:

anyway, I feel that I can no longer depend on the sch... it is really sad but reality is at such... unless born gifted, there is no shortcut to success and i told my child to put in extra effort on his own... if there is anything that he does not knows, he can always ask the tutors.

potter
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by potter » Thu May 18, 2017 6:31 pm

puff wrote:Thank you all for your encouragement.
Just dread this mid year meet -the - parents session. Hopefully the teachers will nothive any more stress to the parents.
dear, at least u get a chance to see the teachers and get some feedback. for me, I do not even have parents-teachers meeting now... PTM is history... just waiting patiently for teachers to call or email me... :cry:

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:296

Post by phtthp » Thu May 18, 2017 6:40 pm

potter wrote:
Just dread this mid year meet -the - parents session. Hopefully the teachers will nothive any more stress to the parents.
dear, at least u get a chance to see the teachers and get some feedback. for me, I do not even have parents-teachers meeting now... PTM is history... just waiting patiently for teachers to call or email me... :cry:
Actually, u don't need to wait for PTC.
(Parents Tr conference)

You can just give a call to the school subject Tr (those subjects you are concerned with), ask them for feedback on your child, since SA1 already over.

Eg
if there are 4 subjects & say out of 4, 2 subjects u happen to be more concerned with :
just ask the school Tr of the 2 subjects, to return you a call, as SA1 is over, & report card to be issued next week (last week : week #10, of 2017 Term 2, before June school holiday start).
(No need to call up all 4 Tr)

laughingcat
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:20

Post by laughingcat » Thu May 18, 2017 7:39 pm

Heng ah! My boy gotten back his English and Maths papers. Yes there is a dip but I told myself cannot compare with P4 as he always scored in the range of 90s.

Yet again, thanks to all those mummies that shared how difficult P5 & P6 works are. I have managed to start a little bit of work in the beginning of the year and along the way bridge the gap that the school teachers failed to do so.

Yes Potter, you really cannot depend on the teachers. To be honest, my child's score is all my hard work. Jia you!
Last edited by laughingcat on Fri May 19, 2017 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

laughingcat
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:20

Post by laughingcat » Thu May 18, 2017 7:43 pm

phtthp wrote:
potter wrote:
Actually, u don't need to wait for PTC.
(Parents Tr conference)

You can just give a call to the school subject Tr (those subjects you are concerned with), ask them for feedback on your child, since SA1 already over.

Eg
if there are 4 subjects & say out of 4, 2 subjects u happen to be more concerned with :
just ask the school Tr of the 2 subjects, to return you a call, as SA1 is over, & report card to be issued next week (last week : week #10, of 2017 Term 2, before June school holiday start).
(No need to call up all 4 Tr)
Sometime ask for feedback really not much of a use. Look through the papers together with the child. Analyze section by section on why the child can't score. Listen to your child.

Schootopia
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:11

Post by Schootopia » Thu May 18, 2017 7:57 pm

There are 3 levels in Science.

Very simply,
Level 1. Basic content knowledge.
Level 2. Applying your knowledge (after you are good at Level 1).
Level 3. Be cognizant/aware of the skills you have learnt, and be able to apply to novel/new situations. (after you are good at Level 2)

Recently, MoE shifted the mix of questions up the levels. Implementation started with the 2014 Primary 3 cohort, i.e. those taking PSLE this year.

We outlined this framework clearly in our introduction for Science tuition.
https://home-tuition.sg/2016/05/25/science/

I did post-graduate medical sciences at Cambridge University. Science is about application of knowledge and skills to solve novel/new problems. This is a very good learning framework.

Level 1 is the "Apprentice", the rote learner.
Level 2 is the "Jedi".
Level 3 is the "Jedi Master".

Most parents are not aware of this shift.
Past-year papers won't help much as there is little precedence.
Choose your assessment books carefully.
Those who are over and done with PSLE, count yourself lucky.
If you come across any "Program", "MasterClass" or "Intensive Course" that claims to nail Paper 2 questions with some mystical "Technique", be very skeptical. It's just marketing gimmicks.

Good Luck ! :celebrate:

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:136

Post by janet88 » Thu May 18, 2017 10:10 pm

potter wrote: Yes, I totally agree that SC is getting increasingly tough even at P4. At P5 SA1, maybe I hv low expectation... i feel those who are able to get above 75% are already very good. OEQ are very challenging. Some MCQ questions are quite tricky too.
this june holidays, work on your lower block science. don't attempt past year question papers because questions are just tikam tikam from each topic. work on each theme like diversity, cycles, systems individually. challenging science published by EPH is a good form of revision. go straight into each theme for MCQ and OE. there are answer keys for MCQ questions and important keywords are in bold for OEQ...i love this title...hope you can finish the 5 themes by end of june. then you also have to revise upper block.

for Math, get a timer. work within 45 minutes. getting full marks for paper 1 without timing is useless because you have to be fast and accurate.

potter
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by potter » Thu May 18, 2017 11:01 pm

Thank you laughingcat, phtthp, janet88 n others :) these 2 nights when i was trying to sleep, i could not stop blaming myself for not putting in enough effort to help my boy that's why the consequences now. I already knew all the changes in his sch since beginning of the year, yet I am not doing much to help. From now on, I need to be involved in his studies... fully agree that cannot depend on sch or teachers anymore. I also understood the real meaning of "collaborating with the sch"...

Janet88, is this the book that u recommend?
http://www.eph.com.sg/component/virtuem ... l?Itemid=0

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:136

Post by janet88 » Fri May 19, 2017 8:07 am

potter wrote: From now on, I need to be involved in his studies... fully agree that cannot depend on sch or teachers anymore. I also understood the real meaning of "collaborating with the sch"...

Janet88, is this the book that u recommend?
http://www.eph.com.sg/component/virtuem ... l?Itemid=0
to me, collaborating with the school means parents do their part of coaching and not depend on teachers.
the cover has changed...but contents wise, i remember it is thematic...ie diversity, systems, interactions.
the other good title is Top Science...which i ding dong between p3, p4, p5 and p6 at different times for revision.

lee_yl
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:147

Post by lee_yl » Fri May 19, 2017 4:16 pm

potter wrote: Tnks for the reply mummyxoxo. Given that his school is now less supportive and really doing the minimum in terms of additional academic support, I already somehow mentally prepared for this kind of drop. However, did not expect to be so drastic. His HCL compo is only 5/40 and was told many students from top classes failed very badly too, single digit kind of marks. At the same time, I also do not wish to over-react by changing tuition centers or adding more tuitions etc.I really hope he will progress over the next few months.
Potter, you need to take a look to see whether your DS wrote out of point (离题)for his HCL zuo wen.

HCL itself is not easy and quite a number of my dd1's classmates dropped HCL by end of P5. Cannot purely rely on teachers, you need to follow closely too.