fr p4 to p5 .. results dropped

Academic support for Primary 5
chenlaoshi
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:46

Re: fr p4 to p5 .. results dropped

Post by chenlaoshi » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:12 pm

Some schools reveal the class and/or level average while others provide the percentile rank for each subject's score in the report book. These can offer an insight as to how tough the papers were.

Meanwhile, looking 'deeper' into the CL result, there was a decrease in 26 marks out of 200 (Paper 1, Paper 2, Oral, LC). I presume majority of these marks were lost in Paper 2? If not, then it is necessary to look into the child's progress in other components, esp. oral and compo - because, theoretically, with practices, improvements - albeit how small they may be, should be shown in these 2 components (of course, there may be mitigating factors like tough/uncommon topic).

Do try and find out more from the respective subject teachers if there's PTM this/next week.

========================================
【PSLE 小六会考 华文加油站】(Nov 2018) - 3 days free workshop: https://bit.ly/2JnocsD
【PSLE Chinese Weekly Preparation Group Class - 悦读理解会】(Nov/Dec 2018) - Trial Classes: https://bit.ly/2zaml5v

coast
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:11

Post by coast » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:29 pm

dylanmummy2003 wrote:sigh... my DD results did not improve after the drop from P5 SA1. :cry: :cry: :cry:
in SA1, her marks is as below :
Eng : 69 (p4 = 82)
MT : 68 (P4 = 70)
Sci : 72 (P4 = 69)
Math : 42 (P4 = 72)

SA2 results :
Eng : 50
MT : 55
Sci : 72.5
Math : 67.5
she says in her class, only less than 6 students pass Eng & MT overall.
and for Eng Paper 2, all in her class failed. (her class is in the 4th class of P5)
in the top 2 classes, about 70% also fail Eng Paper 2. not sure if they set a tough paper. :cry: :cry:
dont know how to survive P6 next year....
Speak to the EL and MT teachers about the drop from SA1 to SA2. They should be able to provide further explanation especially if it is across cohort.

Also, compare each component within the EL and MT papers.

mylilgirl
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:3

Post by mylilgirl » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:30 pm

To add on, if more than 70% of top class students failed English, the parents should raise this case to MOE for investigation as it means this particular school has set ridiculously tough paper. (failure to follow MOE guideline in the setting of school semester assessment)

dylanmummy2003
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:1

Post by dylanmummy2003 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:53 am

phtthp wrote:Sorry, find it hard to believe that inside the Top 2 classes, in your school ... 70 percent failed English paper 2
yes, i find it hard to believe also. my gal's tutor has gone thru the paper and he mentioned that the paper is kind of tough
Zappy wrote:How many classes are there in total in your kid's school...?
6 classes
chenlaoshi wrote:Some schools reveal the class and/or level average while others provide the percentile rank for each subject's score in the report book. These can offer an insight as to how tough the papers were.

Meanwhile, looking 'deeper' into the CL result, there was a decrease in 26 marks out of 200 (Paper 1, Paper 2, Oral, LC). I presume majority of these marks were lost in Paper 2? If not, then it is necessary to look into the child's progress in other components, esp. oral and compo - because, theoretically, with practices, improvements - albeit how small they may be, should be shown in these 2 components (of course, there may be mitigating factors like tough/uncommon topic).

Do try and find out more from the respective subject teachers if there's PTM this/next week.

========================================
【PSLE 小六会考 华文加油站】(Nov 2018) - 3 days free workshop: https://bit.ly/2JnocsD
【PSLE Chinese Weekly Preparation Group Class - 悦读理解会】(Nov/Dec 2018) - Trial Classes: https://bit.ly/2zaml5v
yes, mainly Paper 2, chinese comprehension portion she did badly.
coast wrote:
Speak to the EL and MT teachers about the drop from SA1 to SA2. They should be able to provide further explanation especially if it is across cohort.

Also, compare each component within the EL and MT papers.
now waiting if there is PTM for her. cause usually for year end PTM, the teachers only select random students to attend,
have already told my gal that i want to meet the teacher.

laughingcat
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:16

Post by laughingcat » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:50 pm

dylanmummy2003 wrote:
now waiting if there is PTM for her. cause usually for year end PTM, the teachers only select random students to attend,
have already told my gal that i want to meet the teacher.
If I were you, I will write in nicely to specifically talk to the teachers in-charge on how to improve the current situation. Don't have to necessarily follow the school protocol. If cannot meet, at least a phone call with the teacher can also help. I am sure the school is not so rigid.

lee_yl
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:118

Post by lee_yl » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:19 pm

dylanmummy2003 wrote:sigh... my DD results did not improve after the drop from P5 SA1. :cry: :cry: :cry:
in SA1, her marks is as below :
Eng : 69 (p4 = 82)
MT : 68 (P4 = 70)
Sci : 72 (P4 = 69)
Math : 42 (P4 = 72)

SA2 results :
Eng : 50
MT : 55
Sci : 72.5
Math : 67.5
she says in her class, only less than 6 students pass Eng & MT overall.
and for Eng Paper 2, all in her class failed. (her class is in the 4th class of P5)
in the top 2 classes, about 70% also fail Eng Paper 2. not sure if they set a tough paper. :cry: :cry:
dont know how to survive P6 next year....
Sorry I also don’t believe 70% from top 2 classes failed English paper 2.

Your child’s tutor claim paper was tough, because if tutor will to say paper was easy, wouldn’t he lose his rice bowl? :lol:

Both my kids obtained less than ideal results for their P5 SA1. I was upset but we worked hard and they somehow managed to do better in the 2nd half of the year.

Do note that the national average of children going Express is about 66%. That means, 3.5 out of 10 kids will end up normal stream. If your child’s results don’t end up improving by P6, your girl may end up with tscore below 200.

By hook or by crook, please go and see her Eng and MT teachers!!

mummyxoxo
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:1

Post by mummyxoxo » Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:42 pm

I experienced similar incident of my dd1's result drop significantly from P4 to P5 as well which pushed me to find a tutor for dd1 then. Thankfully, her results have improved from 60-ish in SA1 to 70+ / 80+ in SA2. I recommended the tutor to my sis for my nephew who is in P5 this year too (P5 Science). Just few days ago, she thanked me for recommending the tutor as my nephew scored 85 for his Science SA2 (as compared to 65 for his Science SA1).

If anyone is interested, my tutor is Miss Goh and she can be contacted at 93989072. Generally she only teaches in Jurong West. Nonetheless, she agreed to provide tuition to my nephew at my sis's place which is at CCK so you can give it a try still.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin
Total Likes:324

Post by ChiefKiasu » Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:21 pm

mylilgirl wrote:To add on, if more than 70% of top class students failed English, the parents should raise this case to MOE for investigation as it means this particular school has set ridiculously tough paper. (failure to follow MOE guideline in the setting of school semester assessment)
I understand why the moving from Primary to Secondary school is so difficult. Even in this age of "enlightenment", parents expect some level of performance from their children. Simply put, it is to "pass the test". While there is some carry over of this expectation in Secondary school, many schools are treating their kids as adults. So we should expect ourselves failing tests as we go higher. The problem is that failing tests is NOT the norm in Singapore, especially at Primary school. It doesn't really matter if all the students took the same test. All kids should PASS their tests!
At the tertiary or adulthood level, failing tests are a given. Talk to people at this level and you will realise that most would think that is a the norm that anyone could fail tests. The trick is to establish the level of difficulty for the test.
In any exam, it is fine if everyone is graded UPON THE CURVE. So even if one scores a RAW score of 50/100 marks, if that is the highest, than that person should be given the highest grade in the cohort (ie. an A) for the test. That is why worldwide classes have to be given that same tests at the same time, if they are to be compared equally.
I think the biggest problem for Singaporean parents is knowing what is a "good grade" for a test. Here, teachers can help by stating the highest, lowest and median scores for any test.

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:223

Post by phtthp » Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:41 pm

with MOE de-emphasis on academic grades, think some schools either had already removed, or going to remove the "highest, mean (average) scores" for tests

Seannnnn
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by Seannnnn » Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:02 pm

phtthp wrote:Sorry, find it hard to believe that inside the Top 2 classes, in your school ... 70 percent failed English paper 2
Is there any data on the failure? Like which components did the students do poorly in that led to the 70% fail? Because if there are certain sections that all/most did badly in, then its easier to pinpoint whether those were the causes.