Achieving good grades in P5 & P6

Academic support for Primary 5
mummygeneration
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Achieving good grades in P5 & P6

Post by mummygeneration » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:28 am

Hi dear mummies,

May I ask how your child achieve good grades in P5 & P6?

I realised many of my child's schoolmates who usually get good grades are mothers who are not working full time. Is this a secret of helping the child to stay disciplined and achieve good grades?

My child is quite okay from P1 to P4. He never gotten any awards from school and Edusave. Cos my sister-in-law and closed friends children always got awards either from the school and every year they get awards from Edusave. They are full time mothers. I felt discouraged internally even though I never openly pressure and demand my child to score very well.

Though he score quite well in his Math / English / Science (Band 1 - 85% to 90%). Only Chinese is Band 4. But I worried his results may continue to drop further when he progress to P5. Should I quit my job to help him in his studies? Actually I did send him for tuitions this year ($150 for 3 subjects) but I think these tuitions may not be enough to help him improve in his academic results in P5.

How do the mummies help your children to consistently score well for all the subjects? Can you share your advice here?

cherrygal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:16

Re: Achieving good grades in P5 & P6

Post by cherrygal » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:50 am

Was working and sent elder to after school care till P6. This kid is able to handle own studies even in secondary school.

Kids' results don't depend on you being at home. Depends on aptitude and attitude. The general misconception is that all SAHM are great tutors to their kids. If you can't teach or are better off working then just send them to a good after school care centre and professional tutors.

Do not leave kids with indulgent grandparents or nonchalant helpers.

To add, u may want to change your kid's Chinese tutor...

anxiousmumny
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by anxiousmumny » Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:56 pm

mummygeneration wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:28 am
Hi dear mummies,

May I ask how your child achieve good grades in P5 & P6?

Should I quit my job to help him in his studies? Actually I did send him for tuitions this year ($150 for 3 subjects)
Instead of quiting yr job I suggest u invest a bit more in experienced tutors who specializes.
Because even if u hv the time doesn't means u can teach.
But that means it can easily be $400 per month. But then still better than u dun work n no income rite?

peasants
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
Total Likes:18

Post by peasants » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:05 pm

cherrygal wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:50 am
Was working and sent elder to after school care till P6. This kid is able to handle own studies even in secondary school.

Kids' results don't depend on you being at home. Depends on aptitude and attitude. The general misconception is that all SAHM are great tutors to their kids. If you can't teach or are better off working then just send them to a good after school care centre and professional tutors.

Do not leave kids with indulgent grandparents or nonchalant helpers.

To add, u may want to change your kid's Chinese tutor...
Agree with student care. After effect is obvious in secondary schools.

ngl2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:77

Post by ngl2010 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:33 pm

mummygeneration wrote:
Though he score quite well in his Math / English / Science (Band 1 - 85% to 90%). Only Chinese is Band 4.
Chinese cannot Band 4 lah. Is your son the first batch of the new PSLE scoring system? If I am not wrong, with the new PSLE scoring system the kids can't have 1 weak subject as it will pull down his overall score by a lot. Please correct me if I am wrong.

mummygeneration
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by mummygeneration » Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:26 pm

Thanks for the mummies' advice here. Maybe I should send him for a more reputable tuition centre, hopefully can improve all his grades. Yes, he is under the new PSLE score. I'm not so sure how it will work. But from the report book, I saw his English - 1 pt (90%), Science - 1 pt (85%), Math - 1 pt (94%), Chinese - 4 pt (44%). Yes, I know his Chinese is going to pull down his score. Worried he not able to enter a better secondary school.

I also worried he may not be able to maintain 85%-90% scoring in P5 as I heard many horror stories that grades going to drop by 20% to 30% in P5. But based on my sister in law children, her kids from P1-P5, all can get awards every year. Maybe it's really based on the children's aptitude & attitude like what "cheerygal" said.

cherrygal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:16

Post by cherrygal » Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:19 am

AL banding is different from the Band 1 Band 2 u see on the report book.

For the new PSLE AL banding, 90 and above is AL 1, 85 - 89 is AL 2...20-44 is AL 7.
Last edited by cherrygal on Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

manorway
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:5

Post by manorway » Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:26 am

For every SAHM with kids who score well, there are also many SAHMs with kids who are struggling. Not all parents can teach or will want to teach. I know many SAHMs whose role is driving kids to tuition. They do not teach.

There is a big jump in difficulty from P4 to P5. So yes, many kids' grades will drop.

My own view about tuition fee..... there is no such thing as cheap and effective tuition, unless the tutor is giving tuition as charity work. Tutors have limited time, so if he is effective, he will be fully booked and highly sought after. So demand vs supply, logically, his hourly rate must increase over time.

That said, I do NOT mean expensive means good straightaway. So you must be discerning to pick an effective tutor. Best way is to get recommendations from friends.

If you go tuition centre, must know your child's own standard and problems. Not every centre is suitable for every child. Good luck.

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:224

Post by phtthp » Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:03 am

mummygeneration wrote:
Though he score quite well in his Math / English / Science (Band 1 - 85% to 90%). Only Chinese is Band 4.
Under new 2021 AL new PSLE system, once your son's Chinese score go below 80 marks, is very easy to "clock up" AL (4 or 5) points, just for 1 subject Chinese, alone. This will definitely pull down his overall Total AL points.

Is high time, to find a reliable Chinese tutor one-to-one attention, not a group tuition anymore, to bring him up to gear.

You could also have met up with his Chinese school Tr, identified and list out all his weakness, one by one, for every single Chinese component, during the parents-meet-Tr-session that ended just this week, before Term 4 closure, work hand in hand together with his Tr, how to help him improve.

Eg.

Let your son write one zuowen taken from his school's past year exam SA2 papers, and ask his Chinese Tr to help to mark his zuowen, and give comment

If you have a supportive internal school Tr who can help him, even better still. No need to hire any external tuition Tr, whatsoever.

Have to fix the issue quickly, because when 2020 start, more Chinese vocab to tackle, more Comprehension expectation grow higher.

And languages, is a slow process, bit by bit accumulation build-up, over time. There is no overnight, immediate antidote (magic pill, "xian dan"), to improve Chinese overnight. Takes time

zac's mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:109

Post by zac's mum » Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:40 am

mummygeneration wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:26 pm
Thanks for the mummies' advice here. Maybe I should send him for a more reputable tuition centre, hopefully can improve all his grades. Yes, he is under the new PSLE score. I'm not so sure how it will work. But from the report book, I saw his English - 1 pt (90%), Science - 1 pt (85%), Math - 1 pt (94%), Chinese - 4 pt (44%). Yes, I know his Chinese is going to pull down his score. Worried he not able to enter a better secondary school.
My P3 son is under AL system too. I dunno why our school report books are still indicating the old “band 1, band 2, band 3, band 4” system. That is very very deceptive to parents.

Here is the MOE AL banding system that PSLE will use. I calculated for my son and nearly fainted. I hope u will strengthen your heart becos it doesn’t look good for your son...Please realize that his Chinese 44/100 that is failing and will drag down the entire score. So work on the Chinese first. Check what are the weak areas. Try contact Chenlaoshi from KSP, I think he gives very good advice and his teaching methods are very logical.