Achieving good grades in P5 & P6

Academic support for Primary 5
ngl2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:77

Re: Achieving good grades in P5 & P6

Post by ngl2010 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:21 am

I don't think all kids will experience drop in P5. Don't worry so much about it. And even if their grades drop, logically other kids' grades will drop too, right? So, they are not alone and after a couple of months their grades will be back to the previous grades. So, just need to work VERY hard on Chinese and a bit harder on other subjects to get above 90.

mummygeneration
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by mummygeneration » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:52 am

Very thankful for the valuable advices. I left very little time to brush up his Chinese. I also just enrolled him in Tien Hsia hopefully this tuition centre can help him score at least 70% for his PSLE Chinese. Felt very anxious now because I realised AL banding can pull down his overall grades a lot. Just hope he can make it for Express stream in Secondary school.

Another friend, her child was scoring quite well for her Chinese (95%). But her other subjects are average (around 65% to 70%). This is why mothers are so stressful. Have to handle work stress and academic stress.

chenlaoshi
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:47

Post by chenlaoshi » Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:45 pm

Thanks for the kind words, zac's mum.

To add to phtthp's advice, I would suggest brushing up on your DS's verbal and communication skills.

Of the various components, LC and Oral tend to be the 'easier' ones to score in. These 2 sections account for 35% of the total marks and their importance will be 'enlarged' in the AL system where every marks count. Alas, the difficulty level in Oral component has increased as it's less routine/'fixed' as compared to the previous pictorial format and is more tiered towards actual life conversation style.

Start by expanding his range of vocab - nouns, verbs, adjectives; as well as getting him to converse in grammatically correct sentences in daily life, light-hearted communication.

Accumulative learning and consistency + frequency is important. Jia you! :rahrah:

lee_yl
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:118

Post by lee_yl » Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:18 pm

Based on your son’s good results for EMS, I think you can continue with the current $150 tuition. I do not think you need to resign to help him as he is doing well except for his Chinese.

As for Chinese, I suggest you enroll him with 2 Chinese tuition (which I did for my kids). One is for main paper (e.g. Tien Hsia) and the other is for compo/compre/oral class. One parent suggested Chenlaoshi, you can check if he has the compo/compre/oral class. Let’s be realistic, 2 hours of lesson per week at TH is not sufficient. 1-1 tutor is also good provided can find a reliable one.

As for P5, you don’t need to worry too much, mid-year results dip because of the jump in difficulty level but the kid will subsequently adapt and do better at SA2 exam after they have gotten used to the P5 standard and pace.

mummygeneration
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by mummygeneration » Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:28 pm

Thanks "Chenlaoshi" for your advice. Actually I find my son's Chinese is very weak. Even though he is P4 now. But I think his level is P2. He seldom speak Chinese and every time I tried to switch to Chinese cartoon / TV shows, he got so upset. I really at my wits end. He doesn't seemed to care about his Chinese Grade too. Hope the new chinese tuition centre can help. But I also think 1 week once is not possible to create miracles.

anxiousmumny
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by anxiousmumny » Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:52 pm

mummygeneration wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:28 pm
Thanks "Chenlaoshi" for your advice. Actually I find my son's Chinese is very weak. Even though he is P4 now. But I think his level is P2. He seldom speak Chinese and every time I tried to switch to Chinese cartoon / TV shows, he got so upset. I really at my wits end. He doesn't seemed to care about his Chinese Grade too. Hope the new chinese tuition centre can help. But I also think 1 week once is not possible to create miracles.
Pardon me for being frank, if yr boy Chinese standard is only P2 when he is already in P4, Even if u put him in the best tuition class is of no use to him as he will not be able to catch up. U r wasting yr $ n delaying his progress. In fact, the reason why he is only having a P2 standard is also becos u hv not given him the help he needed.
For normal student whereby they are not weak, P5 is already a challenge.
U really need to think carefully. He runs a risk of going into foundation class.

I feel that during group tuition, most likely it will be "alien talking" to him as he totaly cannot catch wat the teacher is saying n he might ended up day dreaming during the class.
It will be better to send him for one to one tuition. At least the tutor can teach him from P2 to P3 and then to P4.
In fact, tuition class might not be so ideal for upper pri.