2019 PSLE Discussions and Strategies (Children born in 2007)

Academic support for Primary 6 and PSLE
Post Reply
sembgal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 3091
Joined: Tue Apr 28,
Total Likes:45

Re: 2019 PSLE Discussions and Strategies (Children born in 2007)

Post by sembgal » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:56 pm

I let dd practise the Science PSLE Specimen papers few days ago to gauge her MCQ. She made 3 mistakes. According to her teacher, she must aim for 100% for MCQ if she wants to get A* for Science. I noticed that the questions in PSLE Specimen Science tends to appear in a few past years Science exam papers. I have not marked her Booklet B yet so I cannot comment.

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 18643
Joined: Fri Jan 21,
Total Likes:182

Re: 2019 PSLE Discussions and Strategies (Children born in 2007)

Post by phtthp » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:04 pm

yorkie wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:56 pm
Hi Parents of P6, I posted below message under another thread but yet to receive reply. Hope someone here can advise🙏🏻😊

My kid started gaohua in p5 and I understand that primary school education is cumulative and kids will be assessed based on entire subject syllabus for psle. Must I get my child to master those gaohua 字词 of past years, especially those for p4? Please advise.
P6 (Prelim and actual Psle) will test Chinese vocab taught, from (P4 to P6), including both (NCL and HCL ) vocab , if your kid taking gao hua in P6

It is a good practise, to let your p5 child slowly revise his (her) P4 Chinese vocab, bit by bit now, ie. preparing him for next year 2020 Psle, although your child school's coming P5 October sa2 will not test him on p4 Chinese vocab stuff.

Did your class lao shi give you a summary listing of P4 and P5 commonly (frequently) encountered "zi ci", to learn or take note of ? If yes, pay attention to this listing
Last edited by phtthp on Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 18643
Joined: Fri Jan 21,
Total Likes:182

Re: 2019 PSLE Discussions and Strategies (Children born in 2007)

Post by phtthp » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:09 pm

sembgal wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:56 pm
I let dd practise the Science PSLE Specimen papers few days ago to gauge her MCQ. She made 3 mistakes. According to her teacher, she must aim for 100% for MCQ if she wants to get A* for Science. I noticed that the questions in PSLE Specimen Science tends to appear in a few past years Science exam papers. I have not marked her Booklet B yet so I cannot comment.
if want A star for Science : cannot exceed 2 mcq wrong

sembgal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 3091
Joined: Tue Apr 28,
Total Likes:45

Re: 2019 PSLE Discussions and Strategies (Children born in 2007)

Post by sembgal » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:23 pm

phtthp wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:09 pm
sembgal wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:56 pm
I let dd practise the Science PSLE Specimen papers few days ago to gauge her MCQ. She made 3 mistakes. According to her teacher, she must aim for 100% for MCQ if she wants to get A* for Science. I noticed that the questions in PSLE Specimen Science tends to appear in a few past years Science exam papers. I have not marked her Booklet B yet so I cannot comment.
if want A star for Science : cannot exceed 2 mcq wrong
Booklet B will be marked very strictly and child can get unpredictable marks. We will never know how challenging the questions are during PSLE so aim to do very well for MCQ and it takes around 45 mins to practise one round of MCQ.

MrsKiasu
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 11809
Joined: Mon Jul 18,
Total Likes:41

Re: 2019 PSLE Discussions and Strategies (Children born in 2007)

Post by MrsKiasu » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:27 pm

Can we buy the specimen papers from Popular now? As I was late to buy books in school end last year, didn't manage buy for all subjects.


MrsKiasu
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 11809
Joined: Mon Jul 18,
Total Likes:41

Re: 2019 PSLE Discussions and Strategies (Children born in 2007)

Post by MrsKiasu » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:28 pm

We got to practise the Sci :sweat:

coast
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Posts: 645
Joined: Thu Apr 07,
Total Likes:11

Re: 2019 PSLE Discussions and Strategies (Children born in 2007)

Post by coast » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:49 pm

sembgal wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:23 pm
phtthp wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:09 pm
sembgal wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:56 pm
I let dd practise the Science PSLE Specimen papers few days ago to gauge her MCQ. She made 3 mistakes. According to her teacher, she must aim for 100% for MCQ if she wants to get A* for Science. I noticed that the questions in PSLE Specimen Science tends to appear in a few past years Science exam papers. I have not marked her Booklet B yet so I cannot comment.
if want A star for Science : cannot exceed 2 mcq wrong
Booklet B will be marked very strictly and child can get unpredictable marks. We will never know how challenging the questions are during PSLE so aim to do very well for MCQ and it takes around 45 mins to practise one round of MCQ.
I would suggest 28 to 30 minutes for Booklet A MCQs so that more time can be spend on Booklet B OEQs. In 2016, many kids (top students included) found it a challenge to finish the PSLE Science paper. Every kid is different so adjustments to the time required for each section can be made after practising a few papers.

sembgal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 3091
Joined: Tue Apr 28,
Total Likes:45

Re: 2019 PSLE Discussions and Strategies (Children born in 2007)

Post by sembgal » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:45 pm

1.5 min per MCQ Sci question
28 x 1.5 min = 42 mins
3 mins buffer time to do checking

1 hour for Booklet B.

Recommendations from a few Science Teachers that I have come across.

coast
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Posts: 645
Joined: Thu Apr 07,
Total Likes:11

Re: 2019 PSLE Discussions and Strategies (Children born in 2007)

Post by coast » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:39 pm

sembgal wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:45 pm
1.5 min per MCQ Sci question
28 x 1.5 min = 42 mins
3 mins buffer time to do checking

1 hour for Booklet B.

Recommendations from a few Science Teachers that I have come across.
Just want to share that if the paper is challenging (as shared by DS and his friends as well as PSLE 2016 postings from other parents), it would be advisable to allocate more time for Booklet B. For the high-ability kids who are aiming for A*, they can usually complete Booklet A at a much faster average speed than 1.5 mins per Q.

I am sure your above timing works for many kids. As noted earlier, every kid is unique so I would advise parents to adjust the time required based on the child's performance after a few practices.

chenlaoshi
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Posts: 494
Joined: Tue Nov 28,
Total Likes:28

Re: 2019 PSLE Discussions and Strategies (Children born in 2007)

Post by chenlaoshi » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:36 pm

MrsKiasu wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:02 pm
thanks..you reminded me..think better dont do them now..usually I skip their latest school papers when prep for SAs as their school will take it for practise..

oh hang on..the specimen papers by EPH should be different from the real past years 2016/17/18 PSLE papers hor :lol:
Mrs Kiasu, you mean these right?

ImageImage

For CL, the difficulty level are average to slightly above average. Suitable for using to pace/test the child's time management, esp. if past year school papers have already been used for normal day practices.

Post Reply