2019 PSLE Discussions and Strategies (Children born in 2007)

Academic support for Primary 6 and PSLE
tryourbest
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:14

Re: 2019 PSLE Discussions and Strategies (Children born in 2007)

Post by tryourbest » Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:20 pm

Almum wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:02 pm
Hi parents,
May i know which brand of electronic Chinese dictionary are you using? Mine is using Hans vision but often can't find the words. Often have to resort to using hp predicted text to show the words. Thinking of changing to another model if there's a better one out there. Do you all face the same problem with the other approved models? Any recommended model? Many thanks!
Hi Almum,

My dd uses creative PX 21 31 as recommended by her Sch.

Only problem is that the Batteries drain out quite fast. Not sure if it happens to others as well.

tryourbest
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:14

Post by tryourbest » Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:24 pm

Oh they are the same thing is it haha.. Just googled.. Our problem is tat the batteries become flat very quickly!

chenlaoshi
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:39

Post by chenlaoshi » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:31 pm

Almum wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:02 pm
Hi parents,
May i know which brand of electronic Chinese dictionary are you using? Mine is using Hans vision but often can't find the words. Often have to resort to using hp predicted text to show the words. Thinking of changing to another model if there's a better one out there. Do you all face the same problem with the other approved models? Any recommended model? Many thanks!
Hi Almum,

IMO, HansVision eDictionary is actually the better choice, despite its lesser vocab count (40k+ vs. Besta's 70k+ and ZZ.New's 60k+).

You may want to check out this thread for more details.

【Chen Lao Shi's 9 & 12 August 2019 Compre / Oral Workshop】 --> Find out more here

AriseSG
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie
Total Likes:1

Post by AriseSG » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:57 pm

patlsy79 wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:57 am
Mine like getting no mood to study now. They said they have almost done all revision. And told me they will do final revision during Sep hol. After that psle week they wana relax and chill..now 1 wk can only do abt 3 papers beside heavy sch works...norm? #worried#
I'm also slowing down the pace for my P6s. This is not a race and every child's stamina is different. Kids these days burn out easily so we need to take it easy on them. If they have done a decent job in the previous 5 years, I think it is a good idea to let them take a breather.

AriseSG
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by AriseSG » Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:01 am

MrsKiasu wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:06 am
patlsy79 wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:57 am
Mine like getting no mood to study now. They said they have almost done all revision. And told me they will do final revision during Sep hol. After that psle week they wana relax and chill..now 1 wk can only do abt 3 papers beside heavy sch works...norm? #worried#
I could only 'coax' dd to have 1 paper a day for the past 3 days..I m also thinkinv like too relax hor..other time she staring at her laptop put on her headphone..
Too many papers also not good. If you look through the questions, they are actually testing the same things over and over again (with the exception of vocabulary). This is because teachers set papers using a document called TOS which guides them to set certain types of questions.

I have been trying to use games to inject new life into lessons that promote revision. End of July then start revising for Oral.

AriseSG
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by AriseSG » Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:05 am

patlsy79 wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:49 am
ACS MGS SCGS. If dont have enough time i think can skip Henry Park, Nan Hua Tao Nan Rosyth..sorry ah not to boast but personally found these papers easier than other schs....so far found the P6 SCGS most challenging...just imho..
There is a use for these easier papers. I always give the hardest ones first and the easiest ones last. This builds confidence to allow students to feel like they are improving. You will be surprised how powerful confidence and self-belief is for a child.

But never praise them for their improvement in marks. This is the biggest mistake adults make. Always attribute their improvement to their hard work.

Every parent should read this https://www.developgoodhabits.com/fixed ... h-mindset/
It will save you a lot of headache and tuition fees.

AriseSG
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by AriseSG » Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:15 am

xn_mummy wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:13 pm
sky minecrafter wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:04 pm
sky minecrafter wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:01 am

Hi, if it's both continuous writing & paper 2 comprehension, synthesis etcetera, in the west, small group (I'm not their student, but if I'm not mistaken, they have less than 10 in a class), then LilButMighty? Learning Point (frens' reviews) is a good choice too, though their class size seems slightly bigger. They also seem to spend more time on grammar than composition.
I'd like to add, recommending Teacher SzeLi's recent post found on the LilButMighty website: 3 things to look out for when faced with a composition topic. Teacher SzeLi is an experienced Psle compo tutor (at an enrichment centre), who had also taught Secondary EL (same enrichment centre).
Thank for the reply
I have enquired and they are full
Any reviews on the alternative story (TAS)?
Thanks all!
Hi,
I've currently just retired from MOE last month to start my own English School in Jurong East. Classes are small (3-4) as I feel that is the perfect size for teaching. I cover all aspects of English except for Listening Comprehension. If you are interested, do drop me a message!

sean wife
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:2

Post by sean wife » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:54 am

Hi chen lao shi,

You mentioned in a previous post about chinese oral topic 以礼待人。do you know more about the video content and what were the follow up questions being asked? Thanks for sharing!

jj_1808
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by jj_1808 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:22 pm

Can anyone share SA1 2019 English Oral theme ?

chenlaoshi
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:39

Post by chenlaoshi » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:58 pm

sean wife wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:54 am
Hi chen lao shi,

You mentioned in a previous post about chinese oral topic 以礼待人。do you know more about the video content and what were the follow up questions being asked? Thanks for sharing!
Hi sean wife,

The video content is about paying visit at friend's house. Questions included how did the host make the guests feel welcome, what should we take note of as guests at other's place, how can schools inculcate the value of courtesy in students.

【Chen Lao Shi's 9 & 12 August 2019 Compre / Oral Workshop】 --> Find out more here