2019 PSLE Discussions and Strategies (Children born in 2007)

Academic support for Primary 6 and PSLE
synthesis77
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
Total Likes:1

Re: 2019 PSLE Discussions and Strategies (Children born in 2007)

Post by synthesis77 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:18 pm

peasants wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:29 pm
Timmy21 wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:21 am
peasants wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:08 am

Wah! Such conclusive comments not scared gotten left right centre ah? First time here? Especially u crown RV as top school in the west? I standby popcorn already.

I would rather said the school is strengthening the core steadily over the years. Results will show eventually.
haha, i think the definition of WEST is critical... probably west of Jurong East MRT station, RV is indeed the best.
Also must avoid "top", "best" and latest being "president scholars". Now have to buy more pop corns.
Add in the other end of the PC scale: ‘backdoor’. Seems like the starting baseline to some is: platinum, then platinum+, then platinum++...

lee_yl
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:118

Post by lee_yl » Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:42 pm

rawsalmon wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:23 pm
Hi all,
RI produce more president scholars then HCI, can i say that RI is better than HCI? Some comment that RI students are snobbish but in actual fact HCI students are equally or more snobbish. Anyone has any comments?
It simply means that RI has produced more civil servants lah. :lol:
According to DH, RI has traditionally produced more PSC/President’s scholars because of selection bias in the early days, after all the English-educated then had a big advantage over the Chinese-educated. Furthermore, LKY didn’t trust those Chinese educated. Back then, many Chinese middle-class and rich businessmen also forbade their children from applying for PSC scholarships.

Btw, not all PSC/President’s scholars are earning big bucks hor. Some fall by the side along the way.

Apply only if you have a strong calling to serve the public.

Swc
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:21

Post by Swc » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:43 pm

lee_yl wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:42 pm
rawsalmon wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:23 pm
Hi all,
RI produce more president scholars then HCI, can i say that RI is better than HCI? Some comment that RI students are snobbish but in actual fact HCI students are equally or more snobbish. Anyone has any comments?
It simply means that RI has produced more civil servants lah. :lol:
According to DH, RI has traditionally produced more PSC/President’s scholars because of selection bias in the early days, after all the English-educated then had a big advantage over the Chinese-educated. Furthermore, LKY didn’t trust those Chinese educated. Back then, many Chinese middle-class and rich businessmen also forbade their children from applying for PSC scholarships.

Btw, not all PSC/President’s scholars are earning big bucks hor. Some fall by the side along the way.

Apply only if you have a strong calling to serve the public.
I think nowadays and in the future we are going to see a much bigger variety of schools having students getting psc/president scholars. I think this year there is a girl from SOTA?

lee_yl
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:118

Post by lee_yl » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:29 pm

I think in recent years, govt already caters for more diversity, even for Law and Med. Next time top students from the TOP two schools may find it harder to get into our local Law & Med schools. :sweat:

Yes, I am still fascinated why a girl who specializes in Dancing (at SOTA), would want to join a male dominated Navy! :lol:

Dino
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:15

Post by Dino » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:12 am

lee_yl wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:29 pm
I think in recent years, govt already caters for more diversity, even for Law and Med. Next time top students from the TOP two schools may find it harder to get into our local Law & Med schools. :sweat:

Yes, I am still fascinated why a girl who specializes in Dancing (at SOTA), would want to join a male dominated Navy! :lol:
Then she will be the flower among the thorns....... Its not even win win...... its sure win for her!!!! haha

cutepandabear
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:28

Post by cutepandabear » Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:38 pm

Wonder if I'm being sensitive. But a lot of random people, whom my husband and I aren't even close to, have been asking my kid's t-score. Its not even, generic, probing questions like how did the child do? Is your kid happy? At least you sense they care and/or are treading carefully. No, it's straight to: what's the t-score? Quite rude I thought. Anyway, how would you respond?

Dino
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:15

Post by Dino » Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:49 pm

cutepandabear wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:38 pm
Wonder if I'm being sensitive. But a lot of random people, whom my husband and I aren't even close to, have been asking my kid's t-score. Its not even, generic, probing questions like how did the child do? Is your kid happy? At least you sense they care and/or are treading carefully. No, it's straight to: what's the t-score? Quite rude I thought. Anyway, how would you respond?
i think its a mixture of concern, kaypo-ness, curiosity and so on? End of the day, high chance they will still come to the qn, how much ur child gets har?

Its just like taking the mrt. They can just go direct on the main line or go one big round, changing different colour lines but still will get to the destination - "The how much ur child gets qn"....... haha

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:224

Post by phtthp » Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:56 pm

cutepandabear wrote:
maybe because this year (2019), there was a commotion over the Maths Psle questions set, so people are curious (a bit kaypoh / concerned), over how your child perform overall

If your child perform better than expected, just tell the people that "a miracle happen, this year"

That's what happened to my friend's child.

Prelim was in late August.
After Prelim over, her mom brought her to Hongkong, when riot was at the peak. So, cannot stop at Hongkong airport, a lot of protesters inside the airport, air plane detoured to Macau.
Means for one whole week, while everyone was busy preparing for Psle in 3 weeks' time, she is having holiday in Macau, so very little time to study. In the end, guess what ? She scored A * in 2019 PSLE Maths. Her girl never expect, because same situation : from (P3 to P6) primary school exam, never score any A * for Maths, before. Again, miracle do happen
Last edited by phtthp on Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Serendipity
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:4

Post by Serendipity » Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:03 pm

Dino wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:49 pm
cutepandabear wrote:
i think its a mixture of concern, kaypo-ness, curiosity and so on? End of the day, high chance they will still come to the qn, how much ur child gets har?

Its just like taking the mrt. They can just go direct on the main line or go one big round, changing different colour lines but still will get to the destination - "The how much ur child gets qn"....... haha
Hahaha.... like your analogy!

zac's mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:109

Post by zac's mum » Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:10 pm

cutepandabear wrote:
I agree it’s quite rude. Especially if they just want the number without showing concern.

For such people, can just fend it off with some ”ying siew” type of answer, like:

- you tell me yours first then I tell u mine lah, hohoho...my child’s one is their own secret lah...

- Why ah? U need some numbers to buy Toto is it? Come come, I give you some numbers sure hit...