Q&A - PSLE Tamil

Academic support for Primary 6 and PSLE
jacsplace
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:1

Re: Q&A - PSLE Tamil

Post by jacsplace » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:15 am

Can anyone recommend a good Tamil tutor for my two children, one in P4 and one in P2? Need someone who can speak English and Tamil because we are an English-speaking family. Thanks!

Mary Joy
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Post by Mary Joy » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:22 pm

Does anyone knows if there is any books for PSLE Tamil Oral Conversation.?

Alchemist
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Post by Alchemist » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:29 am

Mary Joy wrote:Does anyone knows if there is any books for PSLE Tamil Oral Conversation.?

Hi - You can go to Raji Publications in Dalhousie Lane - they have books for oral conversation.

They also have tamil past year papers.....

gonzo
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by gonzo » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:25 pm

If a child does not opt for Higher Tamil at P5, would the child be allowed to take Higher Tamil at sec school? There seems to be no added benefit in taking Higher Tamil at P5 unlike Higher Chinese.

Alchemist
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Post by Alchemist » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:30 pm

gonzo wrote:If a child does not opt for Higher Tamil at P5, would the child be allowed to take Higher Tamil at sec school? There seems to be no added benefit in taking Higher Tamil at P5 unlike Higher Chinese.

I agree with you. If you take Higher Chinese then you get 2 points for school selection if you go to SAP schools. However, no such option for Tamil. You still can take Higher Tamil in Sec school - provided you do well for Tamil at PSLE. If your child is extremely good in Tamil - I might say take Higher Tamil as it would reinforce their basic tamil and maybe give them higher chance of getting A* in tamil. But otherwise, I do not think it is worth it to do Higher Tamil.

gonzo
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by gonzo » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:09 pm

Thanks for your advice. In the event the child takes Higher Tamil at PSLE, will the child be able to take Higher Tamil in sec school regardless
of psle results for tamil and higher tamil?

Blue Pearl
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Post by Blue Pearl » Thu May 15, 2014 3:52 pm

Tks gonzo & Alchemist for sharing that PSLE tamil is not given the 2 points selection.

Alchemist
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Post by Alchemist » Fri May 16, 2014 10:31 am

gonzo wrote:Thanks for your advice. In the event the child takes Higher Tamil at PSLE, will the child be able to take Higher Tamil in sec school regardless
As per the MOE website this is the criteria to do HMT in Sec Schools:

Pupils who offer Mother Tongue Language (MTL)(i.e. Chinese/ Malay/ Tamil) or HMTL (i.e. Higher Chinese/ Higher Malay/ Higher Tamil) at the PSLE and

are ranked among the top 10% of the PSLE; or
are in the top 11% - 30% band who meet the language criteria (i.e. an A* grade in the MTL or at least a Merit in the HMTL)
may opt to study HMTL at secondary schools. They may offer English Language and HMTL in the GCE ‘O’ Level Examination at the end of Secondary Four.

Schools will also have the flexibility to allow pupils who do not meet the above criteria to offer HMTL, if they are assessed to have exceptional ability in MTL and are able to do HMTL without affecting their performance in other subjects.

Unquote

I think many schools try and get their kids to take HMT unless they are very weak - as the child only needs to pass HMT at O levels in order not to offer MT at JC. So I think even if the student gets A - there may be a chance to do HMTL

wonder mom
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Total Likes:2

Post by wonder mom » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:35 pm

gonzo wrote:Thanks for your advice. In the event the child takes Higher Tamil at PSLE, will the child be able to take Higher Tamil in sec school regardless
Regardless of the marks in HTL, the child must score A* in (Normal) Tamil Language to take HTL in sec school.
If the child gets A* in (Normal)Tamil Language and don't take HTL in P6, still can take HTL in sec.

HAPPYH
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:5

Post by HAPPYH » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:36 am

wonder mom wrote:
Regardless of the marks in HTL, the child must score A* in (Normal) Tamil Language to take HTL in sec school.
If the child gets A* in (Normal)Tamil Language and don't take HTL in P6, still can take HTL in sec.
What about merit in HTL and A in normal Tamil? will they be offered HTL in secondary? TIA