All About Preparing For PSLE

Academic support for Primary 6 and PSLE

All About Preparing For PSLE

Postby happiest » Tue May 18, 2010 5:13 pm

Original Title: Pr 5 Maths and Science

Hi all,

My son is in Pr 5 this year and he scored only 60 plus for science and maths. He has maths tuition but not for science.

Can anyone please share views as to how i can help him improve his marks. PSLE is not far away and i am horrified!

happiest
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Pr 5 Maths and Science

Postby janet88 » Tue May 18, 2010 5:30 pm

happiest wrote:Hi all,

My son is in Pr 5 this year and he scored only 60 plus for science and maths. He has maths tuition but not for science.

Can anyone please share views as to how i can help him improve his marks. PSLE is not far away and i am horrified!

Hi,
My son is in P4 this year but his Math is only in the 60s range too. Science wise around that area...maybe touching 70. Will having a Maths tutor help improve my son's results ? Hubby is the one teaching Math & Science presently. Don't know if his teaching style is wrong or son is careless and/or weak.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

My girl was disappointed with results

Postby lovely » Tue May 18, 2010 5:41 pm

My girl got back her SA1 results, she was sad that she failed her English, according to her, only 5 in the class pass. She mentioned that the papers are marked by P6 teachers.

To her, this is the first time she failed English. She is in P5 this year

Although I am sad too, I have to talk to her advice her that this is not end of the world, as she is afraid that she don't get good grades for PSLE.

is this the right approach to talk to her ? Has anyone encounter such problems and what do you do ? By giving students such difficult papers, will it demotivate students instead.

lovely
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby shirley.tamzil » Tue May 18, 2010 8:29 pm

I understand that some school set very difficult papers, such that only a handful of students pass or even the whole class fail the paper. I think this is a bad approach because it doesn't give a realistic view of their capability and it de-moralised the children. Some children may be de-moralised by this poor results, while some may assume that it's okay to fail since it's the school culture to fail students....

Does your DD's school has this 'set very difficult papers and fail student to make them buck up' culture? If yes, maybe it helps to tell her that this may be the school's culture and may not have to do with her capabilities. Fortunately, she still have a lot of time to brush up on her English before the PSLE, take this setback to work harder. Try to advise her to believe in herself.

shirley.tamzil
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby CoffeeCat » Tue May 18, 2010 9:01 pm

Sometimes some educators have forgotten what it feels like to be a student or that they represent only a minority of the students.

CoffeeCat
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby starlight1968sg » Tue May 18, 2010 9:23 pm

I am in no better situation too. My girl is in p5 too.

She barely passed her HCL and now still waiting for more bombs to drop onto us.

I wish I can close both eyes on her results.

starlight1968sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby lovely » Tue May 18, 2010 10:43 pm

Thanks Shirley for your advice.

Have been talking to her since then. Not sure if it is the school culture, will discuss with teacher.

And again, She told me that there is one science question in paper 2 which only consists of 1 mark, according to her teacher, only 1 girl in the whole level answer correctly.....

I really has mixed feelings. One hand, hope that she does well for all subjects, on the other hand, if she doesn't do well, just feel sorry when see her sad face as not to stress her. :(

lovely
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby Brenda10 » Tue May 18, 2010 11:23 pm

Hi Lovely,

P5 English SA1 Paper 2 has two booklets.

Booklet A – 30 Questions, total – 30 marks
Booklet B – 50 Questions, total – 65 marks

Usually Booklet B is very tough especially the “Fill in the blank with suitable words” - 15 marks and “Comprehension” – 10 questions for 20 marks.

Tell her not to upset, now still have time to practice before this year end exam and PSLE next year. 加油

Brenda10
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby phankao » Wed May 19, 2010 12:22 am

starlight1968sg wrote:I am in no better situation too. My girl is in p5 too.

She barely passed her HCL and now still waiting for more bombs to drop onto us.

I wish I can close both eyes on her results.

For ds2, more than half of their p5 failed HCL, altho' he passed. But dunno whether to be happy or sad, man! bc the grades while not so high, is not barely pass either lah. Urgh ... :P

Yeah, why they like to make the exams so difficult, har?

phankao
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby vlim » Wed May 19, 2010 12:36 am

most likely to frighten the kids off and let them buck up lor....schools also want to show good report for their psle results mah.... :wink:

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Primary 6 & PSLE