All About Preparing For PSLE

Academic support for Primary 6 and PSLE
mylulaoshi
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:1

Re: All About Preparing For PSLE

Post by mylulaoshi » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:39 pm

MrsKiasu wrote:Mylulaoshi, may I ask, for a child who only takes CL but goes for the so called 'higher' Chi tuition eg with JEL, will there be any issue to be considered, that you could think of? Will the CL syllabus be considered as fully covered or they are actually different thing/content. Am I not giving medicine according to diagnosis :sweat: :nailbite:
The child will not reap maximum benefits in this case. I can only think of an expanded vocabulary that will do him good. The Main Paper and Compo format are almost totally different. The child will have (in my kiasu opinion) compromised exposure and training in Normal Chinese (which is more critical) than going to a Normal Chinese tuition. 不是在对症下药,而是囫囵吞枣,矫枉过正了。 :nailbite:

mylulaoshi
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Post by mylulaoshi » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:45 pm

jetsetter wrote:
MrsKiasu wrote:Mylulaoshi, may I ask, for a child who only takes CL but goes for the so called 'higher' Chi tuition eg with JEL, will there be any issue to be considered, that you could think of? Will the CL syllabus be considered as fully covered or they are actually different thing/content. Am I not giving medicine according to diagnosis :sweat: :nailbite:
MKS:
Since u r so free in the morning, why not go to Popular and place both textbooks side by side and compare the vocab lists? Then check the corresponding assessment books and compare if the sections are the same?

I've not done any checks as a new syllabus was introduced in 2015. I do not let my kid practise e.g. ACS, SAS, MGS, SCGS MT papers, because the standard is simply too low or irrelevant. We only use top SAP pri sch papers which are more relevant to us, albeit the Pre-2015 batch's vocab list is different.
No need to check. Ask me I can tell you :salute: The syllabus don't differ very much, HCL has 20% more Vocab than CL. They are covered in different intervals varying from Pri 5-6. But the exam format, timing, requirements and techniques are all different. Regarding the use of Top School Exam papers, it depends on the exam setter. Top school might have 'kayu' setters and ACS have 'ngiao' setters too :xedfingers: 不能一概而论,一根竹竿打翻全船人啊! :imdrowning:

jetsetter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:223

Post by jetsetter » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:51 pm

mylulaoshi wrote:Regarding the use of Top School Exam papers, it depends on the exam setter. Top school might have 'kayu' setters and ACS have 'ngiao' setters too :xedfingers: 不能一概而论,一根竹竿打翻全船人啊! :imdrowning:
Sure I was referring to lower primary past year papers of those non-SAP schools where HMT has not been offered yet :) Perhaps from P5 onwards, their papers will be more on par with those from NYPS, ATS, HWS, MBS, PCPS, TNS and so on.

MrsKiasu
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:50

Post by MrsKiasu » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:27 am

mylulaoshi wrote:
The child will not reap maximum benefits in this case. I can only think of an expanded vocabulary that will do him good. The Main Paper and Compo format are almost totally different. The child will have (in my kiasu opinion) compromised exposure and training in Normal Chinese (which is more critical) than going to a Normal Chinese tuition. 不是在对症下药,而是囫囵吞枣,矫枉过正了。 :nailbite:
Mylulaoshi, :thankyou:

I asked dd on the compo yesterday..yes, she told me compo is different. At the end of our conversation, she says she finds herself catching up the Chi at ctr better than her school's. She also mentions that there is a need to close the gap. Any specific good books to recommend for NC as of now..for dd's self study. Dd has been depending on herself and tuition for her chi since P2.

mylulaoshi
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Post by mylulaoshi » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:14 am

MrsKiasu wrote:I asked dd on the compo yesterday..yes, she told me compo is different. At the end of our conversation, she says she finds herself catching up the Chi at ctr better than her school's. She also mentions that there is a need to close the gap. Any specific good books to recommend for NC as of now..for dd's self study. Dd has been depending on herself and tuition for her chi since P2.
读词语手册,读得滚瓜烂熟。I do conduct June Holiday HCL and 虚词 both 3 Day Course. Dare not advertise here :censored: *奉公守法* Pls visit my official thread for details.

beemum
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by beemum » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:37 pm

Hi 老师,which "词语手册"would you recommend to get from popular?

Thanks very much!

mylulaoshi
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Post by mylulaoshi » Tue May 02, 2017 11:00 am

beemum wrote:Hi 老师,which "词语手册"would you recommend to get from popular?

Thanks very much!
Its the normal 6A,6B,5A, 5B 词语手册. they have Normal chinese and Higher chinese variations. They cover the words in the syllabus.

mommyNg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:35

Post by mommyNg » Tue May 02, 2017 12:25 pm

mylulaoshi wrote:
beemum wrote:Hi 老师,which "词语手册"would you recommend to get from popular?

Thanks very much!
Its the normal 6A,6B,5A, 5B 词语手册. they have Normal chinese and Higher chinese variations. They cover the words in the syllabus.
Any such equivalents for English?

mylulaoshi
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Post by mylulaoshi » Wed May 03, 2017 8:34 am

No unfortunately. English doesn't have a stipulated scope of Vocab for exams. Its open to all possibilities.

PSLEmom
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by PSLEmom » Tue May 09, 2017 3:50 pm

Could you please share the June holiday PSLE preparation programs with details? Thank you in advance