How is Oral Revision done in your school?

Academic support for Primary 6 and PSLE

How is Oral Revision done in your school?

Postby Guest » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:04 am

I am curious how does your child's school revise oral with them?

Does the teacher do a trial with every child and provide the corrective feedback or do they get the children to practise with each other in pairs and rated by the children?

Re: How is Oral Revision done in your school?

Postby Brenda10 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:40 am

ksi wrote:I am curious how does your child's school revise oral with them?

Does the teacher do a trial with every child and provide the corrective feedback or do they get the children to practise with each other in pairs and rated by the children?

Hi ksi

For dd class:

The teacher has made them some worksheet. Go through with class and pick different pupils to participate in reading passage, picture discussion and conversation. She will give the comments and award the marks according so to give you a picture on how it was being marked.

During the EL oral practice, DD was happened to being picked for reading passage. The teacher gave her 8/10 and tells her if she can increase her volume then she is able to get 9/10.

They also went to the Computer Lab Room and go through some selected oral practice.

Last week, all has to type and write out the details that they observed from the picture for both EL and CL and submitted today.

The teacher will choose one - two best work and share with the class.

Brenda10
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Atan » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:51 am

WOW, Brenda10, your child is lucky that the school has an organised way of conducting Oral revision.

At my DS's school, despite the high marks allocation for oral (CL-30% & EL-16%), there does not seem to be a formal and organise way to revise oral. Teachers seemed to revise only when they can find time at the last minute :roll: Therefore, it became very stressful for parents to do our own revision at home!

Atan
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby teh_oh » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:04 am

Hi ksi,
In primary 1 and 2, the teachers went through how to describe the picture. This year in P3, the teacher gave them a website to do self revision for English Oral. There is no revision on MT Oral.

teh_oh
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Brenda10 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:17 am

Atan wrote:WOW, Brenda10, your child is lucky that the school has an organised way of conducting Oral revision.

At my DS's school, despite the high marks allocation for oral (CL-30% & EL-16%), there does not seem to be a formal and organise way to revise oral. Teachers seemed to revise only when they can find time at the last minute :roll: Therefore, it became very stressful for parents to do our own revision at home!

Hi Atan

Perhaps her teachers can do these are because they had finished the syllabus quite earlier and also they are in P6 lah.

I can't recall they had foucs so much during the lower primary.

Brenda10
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Guest » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:19 am

Atan wrote:WOW, Brenda10, your child is lucky that the school has an organised way of conducting Oral revision.

:hi5: Atan!! kekeke.... I love Brenda's school

Postby Guest » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:20 am

teh_oh wrote:

Hi ksi,
In primary 1 and 2, the teachers went through how to describe the picture. This year in P3, the teacher gave them a website to do self revision for English Oral. There is no revision on MT Oral.

Now I see why you are banging your head on the keyboard with so much blood oozing out.....hahaha.... :lol:

Postby teh_oh » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:34 am

ksi wrote:
teh_oh wrote:

Hi ksi,

Now I see why you are banging your head on the keyboard with so much blood oozing out.....hahaha.... :lol:

:D

teh_oh
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Guest » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:35 am

Actually I am ok if the teacher does some random samples to explain the guidelines for the marking scheme in class and then provide materials to the children to bring home with instructions to request parents to practise with them and mark according to the marking scheme.

Tips and pointers for the oral would be useful too.

What I dislike is the approach of asking children to assess each other when they have no competency to do it since they are still learning themselves. It is counter-productive and creates a wrong sense of confidence and assurance for the children, thinking they have gone through the motion of revision. This is how surprising results can come about. This approach absolutely shocked me.

How can we apply adult's learning pedagogy to children's learning process? This is taking the accelerated learning process a tad too far.... Are schools operating like schools of child prodigies these days? :lol: My child is just a regular kid.... :wink:

Postby Chenonceau » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:42 am

ksi wrote:What I dislike is the approach of asking children to assess each other when they have no competency to do it since they are still learning themselves. It is counter-productive and creates a wrong sense of confidence and assurance for the children, thinking they have gone through the motion of revision. This is how surprising results can come about. This approach absolutely shocked me.

I agree.

Chenonceau
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Primary 6 & PSLE